Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wildlife shots are hand-holding my K3 with the Pentax 55-300 plus a 1.4X TC. I hold the lens at the bottom with my left hand, tuck my elbows in against my body. I stand with my feet wide apart. This works for me.
Camera
PENTAX K-3

Focal Length
300mm

Aperture
f/10

Exposure
1/400s

ISO

03-15-2016, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackloganbill Quote
I also purchased a monopod, but that is not working out. I feel like a drunken sailor with it!

I did too with the one I had. I also either tripped over it or whacked somebody with it.
03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I did too with the one I had. I also either tripped over it or whacked somebody with it.

I bought one and mounted the Beike BK-03 ball head on it and I use it almost exclusively. I suppose, like a lot of gear, it takes a little getting used to, but my photographs are much sharper when I use it. But, it's just a person thing. Works for some, not for others. I have hand tremors, so it's almost a necessity for me.
03-17-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Beer my friend! I have tremors as well and am having a hard time getting quality shots without jacking the ISO and shutter speed. looking forward to more suggestions

Randy

03-17-2016, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Beer my friend! I have tremors as well and am having a hard time getting quality shots without jacking the ISO and shutter speed. looking forward to more suggestions

Randy

I bought my monopod (Targus) at Walmart. Go on and laugh if you want, but don't do so until you try one. $15.00. Works beautifully, and with the $20.00 Beike BK03 ball head on it, it's a very viable combination that works to perfection for ME! I've found that it works wonders as a sort of cane. When I need to get down on one knee for an especially low shot, I have a hard time getting back up and the monopod is indispensible for that purpose!

I know that there are those who will read this and laugh at the "on the cheap" way I went about it, but It fit my budget and it WORKS FOR ME! I can't afford the high dollar Manfrotto and other big brand name pieces of equipment, so I do the best with what I can afford. I'm still havin' fun and turnin' out some fair photographs.... and that's what I set out to do..... so I guess I'm successful in my efforts.
03-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I bought my monopod (Targus) at Walmart. Go on and laugh if you want, but don't do so until you try one. $15.00. Works beautifully, and with the $20.00 Beike BK03 ball head on it, it's a very viable combination that works to perfection for ME! I've found that it works wonders as a sort of cane. When I need to get down on one knee for an especially low shot, I have a hard time getting back up and the monopod is indispensible for that purpose!

I know that there are those who will read this and laugh at the "on the cheap" way I went about it, but It fit my budget and it WORKS FOR ME! I can't afford the high dollar Manfrotto and other big brand name pieces of equipment, so I do the best with what I can afford. I'm still havin' fun and turnin' out some fair photographs.... and that's what I set out to do..... so I guess I'm successful in my efforts.
Nothing wrong with that!
I already own a monopod but don't use it as I never did get used to it 😊
The chest pods look interesting, though

Randy
03-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My long time solution

Long ago I discovered the Leitz Mini-pod with the large Ball Head. I will never be without one. It has a taller head than any other mini pod and works better than any other I have seen. Mount the camera on the head, rest the open pod on your chest and adjust the angle on the ball head so the camera is eye level. I can hold the camera sufficiently still to make 1 sec exposure. You can also press the tripod against a handy wall, post, tree etc. It also functions like any other mini pod. If you are using a long lens with a tripod mount on the lens, it works the same way. Only negative is they are somewhat expensive, running well over $100 used (though the last on I bought was only $75).

Be sure to turn off your SR when on a tripod. The camera can confuse subject movement with camera shake and actually blur your subject.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 06-03-2016 at 07:08 AM.
03-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also purchased a monopod, but that is not working out. I feel like a drunken sailor with it!
Or like those circus performers using poles with plates spinning on top.

There's plenty of general advice about how to use a monopod. This one is clear and succinct: https://www.nikonians.org/monopods/what_monopod_3.html
To use the monopod at other than 90° to the camera/lens, you will need to use some kind of a head on it.

I bought my monopod (Targus) at Walmart. Go on and laugh if you want, but don't do so until you try one. $15.00. Works beautifully, and with the $20.00 Beike BK03 ball head on it, it's a very viable combination that works to perfection for ME!
Dewman, no-one is scoffing - we are always interested in cheap practical solutions.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Long ago I discovered the Leitz Mini-pod with the large Ball Head
Like this? Article: Table Top Tripod as "Chest Pod" Thanks for the tip.
03-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Pentax K-50 and just purchased a Tamron 18-200MM lens.So far it seems superior in clarity to my kit lenses but I am having trouble holding the camera still / steady with the somewhat larger and heavier lens; the camera is moving all over the place. So, what is the technique for holding the camera steady?

Thanks
Jack
Hold the camera body with the right hand, cradle the lens with the left hand. Tuck your elbows in against your body, breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out slowly and release the shutter while exhaling.
Try it, you'll see.
03-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

I too use the Targus from Walmart. Haven't tried it with a ball head, but now I think I will. And, an added benefit it makes a great walking stick. I can put a surprising amount weight on it. Helps greatly up steps without handrails, etc.
03-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do any of you disable SR when you use a monopod or brace the camera against something? I was thinking about that this weekend after I was able to rest my camera on top of a handy fencepost when I took the crane pics in the 300mm+ thread. They weren't as sharp as I really wanted despite 1/1000 sec at f/10, and I was wondering whether I should have turned off the SR. I was still holding the camera and there was room for a bit of movement, but the support was pretty solid.

Last edited by jacamar; 03-22-2016 at 06:17 AM.
03-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Do any of you disable SR when you use a monopod or brace the camera against something? I was thinking about that this weekend after I was able to rest my camera on top of a handy fencepost when I took the crane pics in the 300mm+ thread. They weren't as sharp as I really wanted despite 1/1000 sec at f/10, and I was wondering whether I should have turned off the SR. I was still holding the camera and there was room for a bit of movement, but the support was pretty solid.

Personally, I never disable SR unless I use the 2 or 12 second delay, then the camera does it for me.
03-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A tripod has one too many legs an' a mono pod has one too few. My solution? A bi-pod.

Find a cheap tripod and remove one leg. Use a quick disconnect head if you want to frequently separate the camera and support. I use a magnetic disconnect which is quick but secure enough for the purpose. When max mobility is needed, I simply use a V-bracket as a rest for the lens.

Two legs is MUCH more stable than one, much less inconvenient, and using the camera neck strap as a tether allows hands-free for doin' other stuff like changing lenses. And a bi-pod often trumps the 'no-tripods-allowed' rule if a mono-pod's allowed.

The largest Gorilla-pod also works fine with two legs resting on your chest and the third hooked over a shoulder. Better than any gun-stock type support I've ever tried.
03-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A tripod has one too many legs an' a mono pod has one too few. My solution? A bi-pod.

Find a cheap tripod and remove one leg.
Why not just extend two legs instead of three? No need to butcher a perfectly working tripod when you can have a three-in-one solution: Extend one leg and have a monopod, extend two legs and have a bipod, extend all three legs and have a tripod. :-)
03-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do use the otherwise excellent PF article, make sure you don't make the mistake of keeping your lens cap on - this can seriously slow shutter speeds and lead to very disappointing results