Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by amateur6 Quote
Thanks again! Apologies, because I've expressed myself poorly in a few spots here...

Yes, point taken and understood. By "engineering" I didn't necessarily mean "Make it better", I meant "If this is as well as it can be made, only use the good parts". In other words, don't try to say "this goes to 11" when all you've done is change the numbers. Personally, I'd rather have a lens that's really good through all its range, than one that goes oh-so-high and oh-so-low BUT is still only GOOD in the middle, if you see what I mean.

Take the LL example you provided -- as Mr. Reichmann says, f32 and 45 are "unusable" -- so WHY give the lens either aperture? If the diffraction is so great that it overwhelms the DoF gains, there's no point. The effect may be a fact of life, but the decision to allow the lens to be stopped down that far and sold as "maximum aperture f45" is not.

To be fair, since I'm only working at one distance (also true of the LL examples), it's possible I'm not seeing the whole picture. But to me, it still smacks of mindless marketing-driven specs, which may sell more lenses and cameras to the unwary public BUT does nothing to build the long-term quality and reputation of the brand.

You are being somewhat assumptive about mindless marketing, although perfectly understandable in this age of kidology where marketing people believe that BS always baffles brains, to the extent that many believe that it's the case with everything!

Small apertures are neccessary for large DOF, unless you have a tilt and shift lens, but that brings about another whole bag of worms!

The fact is that a wide DOF is sometimes needed/preferred, rather than absolute sharpness. Not allowing people to have the choice would bring about another hue and cry from users. You just have to understand that if you start to stop down to achieve a greater DOF, then diffraction begins to take effect. YOU make the decision what to use for your particular need, not the manufacturer.

Lenses are designed to perform to different criteria for different purposes, you need to understand which lens suits a particular requirement best, and work within the parameters provided by that lens.

That's why there are zooms, primes, macros, etc., etc., that all exhibit different charictaristics, from very high central sharpness with soft edges, those that are deliberately soft at the wider apertures (for portrait use) and wide range zooms designed for convenience rather than outright optical performance and macro lenses with superb sharpness edge to edge and (hopefully) almost perfect flat field performance (i.e. no field curvature). It's impossible to manufacture a lens for all applications, the laws of physics rules, despite what some may believe!

03-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
DS, DL, K100D instructions too! M.S. Shin posted instructions for these cameras as well.

Here is the link:

self focus adjust for dl,ds,ds2,k100d.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And the message, in case it suddenly "evaporates" from DPreview:

My note on #2: after pressing the "Menu" button go first to the "Set-up" menu. This is not quite clear, it looks like the right menu appears right away. Once in the "Set-up" menu three new options are added after the last option ("Reset" on *istDS) as follows:

CAPTURE TEST
SYSTEM TEST
AF TEST

Inside the AF TEST menu there are two options:

- AF Area Test [values 0 to 3]
- Focus Corr. [range -120 to 120 um]

So go down to "Focus Corr." and use left/right keys to adjust value, "OK" to accept, "Menu" to exit.
-= IVAN =-
Which direction , left or right, to correct front focus problem?
Thanks
06-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
My focus adjustment goes way past 120um on my k10d. I had to adjust mine about +250um in order to get my FA limited lenses to focus properly. Now all my lenses focus perfectly...even at the widest apertures like 1.4 and 1.8. I checked my DA lenses and they also focus much better now. Very glad I tried this and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Last edited by sharpshoota; 06-27-2008 at 05:56 AM.
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #49

What is the status of K10D Ver 1.30?

Does anybody have experience on this combination?
Do the menus / cheat codes discussed here work in this version?

09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chetan.dighe Quote
Does anybody have experience on this combination?
Do the menus / cheat codes discussed here work in this version?
no, they are not working w/ 1.30
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #51

Thanks for the response.
Hope that puts a full stop to all the discussion we have had on this thread !!!
09-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

No they are accesseble. You may be just don't know that there is a program
written by maks on Penta-club.ru. It allows turn on debug mode for K100D super and K10D. (K200D is not working).
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
No they are accesseble. You may be just don't know that there is a program
written by maks on Penta-club.ru. It allows turn on debug mode for K100D super and K10D. (K200D is not working).

The software Zebooka is referring to can be downloaded from http://dednev.pisem.net/setup_gx10_dmctrl_1.1.exe
Password for installation: penta-club.ru

For furher information about use and installation see thread
"K10D Firmware 1.3 Debug Mode Unleashed! " on this forum. You will need these instructions as the keys have russian texts only (or something else incomprehensible)
I installed this software some 6 months ago. No problems, have found it very usefull.

09-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

As far as I remember, there is also English version released.

UPD. Yes, here it is - http://dednev.pisem.net/setup_gx10_dmctrl_1.1u_eng.exe
12-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
The software Zebooka is referring to can be downloaded from http://dednev.pisem.net/setup_gx10_dmctrl_1.1.exe
Password for installation: penta-club.ru

For furher information about use and installation see thread
"K10D Firmware 1.3 Debug Mode Unleashed! " on this forum. You will need these instructions as the keys have russian texts only (or something else incomprehensible)
I installed this software some 6 months ago. No problems, have found it very usefull.
I just did a search for "K10D Firmware 1.3 Debug Mode Unleashed" and found nothing. If you have a link to the thread, would you mind posting it here?

Thanks.