Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-S1 vs K-3

No, not a competition... Not even a comparison as they are not intended to be compared. However, looking at specifications of these cameras, and what I think that matters to me, found that K-3 excells over K-S1 at faster continous shooting, longer battery life, lower high ISO noise, faster shutter and let's say, more megapixel count. Video, HDR, microphone, GPS and such options/features/capabilities including the size of the screen in the back and being WR or not do not matter to me significantly. Nice to have some of those features, but I will definitely not cry like a baby if I don't get it... Now the question: is that difference (I specified) wort paying more than twice as much? Not making money on pictures, just like to get nice shots and look at them. Ok, if the image looks good to me, show it to someone else or share it... If you were me, would you consider selling your K-S1 and invest one additional monthly earning into the difference?

03-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
No, not a competition... Not even a comparison as they are not intended to be compared. However, looking at specifications of these cameras, and what I think that matters to me, found that K-3 excells over K-S1 at faster continous shooting, longer battery life, lower high ISO noise, faster shutter and let's say, more megapixel count. Video, HDR, microphone, GPS and such options/features/capabilities including the size of the screen in the back and being WR or not do not matter to me significantly. Nice to have some of those features, but I will definitely not cry like a baby if I don't get it... Now the question: is that difference (I specified) wort paying more than twice as much? Not making money on pictures, just like to get nice shots and look at them. Ok, if the image looks good to me, show it to someone else or share it... If you were me, would you consider selling your K-S1 and invest one additional monthly earning into the difference?
I guess it boils down to whether or not you can live with the K-S1 relatively poor ergonomics and "unique" appearance. If the answer is yes, then you'll probably enjoy it as it has a more modern sensor and cleaner menus compared to previous-gen models. IMHO you'd get a lot more value out of a K-S2. The articulating screen itself is a blessing, plus you get many more drive modes, weather sealing, and dual control wheels.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-06-2016, 03:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
So far, I managed to find all the commands and settings on my K-S1 and due to my relatively small hands, had no problems handling the K-S1. I have a Canon SX50HS which has a flip screen and I keep the screen turned away from my face as I don't use the rear screen a lot or not at all. Being one of those who rather sleep when it's raining outside than going around and clicking the shutter, the WR feature doesn't really mean much to me (not enough to cash out the difference)... As the Canon does come with excellent video capabilities (240fps video mode available) and terrific zoom (50x), flip screen and a load of preset scenes (HDR, fisheye, panorama etc) I do have a "gadget(y)" thingie to play around, however, when it comes to those tiny details in the final IQ it just can't match a decent DSLR... With the DA 50 f1.8 the K-S1 simply wipes the floor with the Canon. No competition. I'd need to have a K-S2 in my hands for a few days t make up my mind but as Pentax has no official representative or at least shops that would sell it, I will most likely keep my K-S1 for some time...
03-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want the added features then 'yes', it's worth the extra. Only you can decide.

I also have a K-S1, and it complements my K5II dependent upon what sort of photography I want to do.

The K-S1 + Limiteds is a great low-weight, walk-about kit for cities, etc, whereas the greater control and versatility of the K-5II is far better for still-life, landscapes, macros, etc

03-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went the opposite way. I like my K-S1 so much that I sold my K-3. There's a reason so many cameras use a 20mp sensor. Nikon even recognized that by putting a 20mp, not 24mp, sensor in their brand new D500. Canon went 20mp in their 70D and 7D Mk II. It's just a sweet sensor. Not sure if they are all the same brand and make, but 20mp seems to be special.
03-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
I like my K-S1 as it is, I didn't even find the AF/MF switch to be troublesome (some do find that position for the switch to be wrong) but was wondering if I can make one additional step toward better photography. The size of the sensor is adequate as I don't make high-resolution prints, in most cases it ends up as an image posted to forum or to Flickr, or just an average sized photo for an album. I'm a bit stretched between macro and objects/animals at distance, much less interested in shooting portraits or landscape/architecture... Unfortunately, I can't afford the best lenses available but am looking at the best value/performance lenses when buying. At the end, a bit funny, the second-hand 90mm Tamron Macro ended up to be somewhat more expensive than the K-S1 with the kit lense, but that's only because I found my K-S1 on sale for only 300€ instead of ~550€ which is the regular price...
03-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I just went the opposite way. I like my K-S1 so much that I sold my K-3. There's a reason so many cameras use a 20mp sensor. Nikon even recognized that by putting a 20mp, not 24mp, sensor in their brand new D500. Canon went 20mp in their 70D and 7D Mk II. It's just a sweet sensor. Not sure if they are all the same brand and make, but 20mp seems to be special.
The K-S1 scores lower on DXOmark compared to K-5II (16 Mp) and K-3 (24 Mp), and the K-5II ISO 80 is not the whole explanation.
03-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The K-S1 scores lower on DXOmark compared to K-5II (16 Mp) and K-3 (24 Mp), and the K-5II ISO 80 is not the whole explanation.
I'm not sure if these sites with charts do justice with their graphs and purely math based comparisons. For example, on snapsort.com, my Canon SX50HS was rated much better than K-S1. The fact is that it was purely based on it's capability of making 240fps videos, flip out screen, and image stabilization in the lens. Everything else was rated better in favor of K-S1 and yet, Canon SX50 HS vs Pentax K-S1 - Our Analysis snapsort gives 55 points to Canon and 46 points to Pentax K-S1.
Have both of them and I simply don't agree.

That is why I asked here on the forum where people who have/had first hand experience with both (or not) could give me some insight. More or less megapixels doesn't make the difference alone. I have a 19Mp camera in my phone. Makes good images for a mobile, but that's not comparable with a real camera with proper lenses etc...

03-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #9

I'd honestly stick with your KS1.

In the real world I suspect image quality will be near indistinguishable in most situations and new glass will give you better results then a new body.

Personally, I handled a K3, KS1, KS2 before deciding on the K2s, which has the same sensor as your KS1. Even though the K3 was the 'pro' body the K2s was a better camera for me. I liked the smaller size and the flippy screen and it still had 2 dials, focus peaking, WR and no AA filter. And, I'm very happy with the image quality from the 20MP sensor in the KS1 / KS2.

It just comes down to what you want. If WR, faster continuous shooting, handling and a more sophisticated focusing system are very important to you then the K3 would make sense. If not, then just keep using the KS1.
03-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
I'm not sure if these sites with charts do justice with their graphs and purely math based comparisons.
You know all the mathematical data comes from identical (=comparable) images of test charts? And that the measurements are quite accurate and very useful for comparisons because they measure in a objective scientific quality assured way? They can even detect with precision differences that are too small to see with an untrained eye. I trust their method because they do it in a very consise way. I just don't like DXO because they don’t make a complete enough database. The test methodology is far more concise and accurate then asking a few strangers on the Internet, even here at PF.
03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
You know all the mathematical data comes from identical (=comparable) images of test charts? And that the measurements are quite accurate and very useful for comparisons because they measure in a objective scientific quality assured way? They can even detect with precision differences that are too small to see with an untrained eye. I trust their method because they do it in a very consise way. I just don't like DXO because they don’t make a complete enough database. The test methodology is far more concise and accurate then asking a few strangers on the Internet, even here at PF.
I agree with you completely up to the point where the subjective kicks in. I inherited that from the world of audio where one amplifier (for example) with superior technical characteristics/numbers simply doesn't sound as good to the human ear as some other amplifier with less than perfect measurement results... Even if the objective measurements results tells me that something is better (or at least is supposed to be better), can't completely trust it as I'm going to listen to it with my everything but perfect hearing. And I just might not like it at all. Same with the images I suppose... So far, I never had a camera capable of recording a red just as I see it in real life, and even though it might be absolutely objective, my brain tells me there's something wrong with it as my eyes (brain) probably compensate for something... It's a bit hard for me to explain, but I guess you understand what I mean. What I'm trying to say is that I'll be happy with a cheaper camera even if it's objectively worse than some other camera if the results I get please my eye. After all, most of the people don't really care what gear I used to make a particular photo if they like what they see...