Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #1

Sunpak 555 & K100D

As the title suggests:

Is it possible to use this flash unit with the K100D ?

I've looked at the Wein as mentioned within this forum but the photo of the unit suggests that the fittings will not match the 555.

Any suggestions for ways to utilize this flash 'cause I also have a Super A and my camera bag is rather full without having to add another flash.

I'm using a Sunpak PT-2D hot shoe with the Super A at present.

I also have just found a PC Synch Cord which I believe is not usable directly with the K100D but there might be another way I'm not aware of ??

Last edited by Snapafun; 07-07-2008 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Added PT-2D info ~ Edit 2: Added Cord found
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to use the 555 with your K100D. I've got a 23D and 444D flash, and they work fine with my K100DS, even using Minolta shoes.

You won't be able to use TTL on the flash, so you'll be working in Manual or Auto modes.

The voltage is less than 10volts, so it won't fry the camera.
07-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Is the 555 a handle flash like the 544? I use my 383 Super much more often though.
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The voltage looks to be safe for use with the K100D. I've used Vivitar 3500 and Sunpak 433D flashes with no problems. You should be fine. As 'alohadave' mentioned, you be relegated to shooting in manual for the most part.

07-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks folks ~ some concerns removed.
It is a handle mount type

With all things set on auto - no flash,
On looking closer at the terminal locations on the PT-2D adaptor it appears that they are mis-aligned with the ones on the hot shoe of the K100D ~ not sure??
Another thought is that I'm using AA Ni-MH rechargeables and wonder if these would produce enough grunt to fire the flash ??
TIA for any further suggestions.
07-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It *should* be okay but YMMV:-

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

It is just because the strobe current is unknown, as I have fully explained the case here:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Which Flash Units are Safe for Pentax DSLRs?

Also, with the tips I posted in my above blog article, you could do an accurate measure of the strobe trigger voltage of your flash unit by yourself, provided that you should at least have a digital multimeter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapafun Quote
As the title suggests:

Is it possible to use this flash unit with the K100D ?

I've looked at the Wein as mentioned within this forum but the photo of the unit suggests that the fittings will not match the 555.

Any suggestions for ways to utilize this flash 'cause I also have a Super A and my camera bag is rather full without having to add another flash.

I'm using a Sunpak PT-2D hot shoe with the Super A at present.

I also have just found a PC Synch Cord which I believe is not usable directly with the K100D but there might be another way I'm not aware of ??
07-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Didn't make myself clear enough I fear:

Been to the first site ~
"6.67V on mine —
Ed White reported varying outputs from 4.1V to 6.9V.
An email from Sunpak/Tocad assures me that no cameras have ever been harmed by a 555."

So for now I need to determine whether or not the contacts align correctly knowing that the onboard flash doesn't try to work when the PT-2D is connected to the hotshoe.

At this point I may need to buy an adaptor that will allow me to use the flash via a PC Synch Cord though this may well lessen the auto functions of the flash.

Thanks for all the feedback ~ greatly appreciated.
07-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
You won't lose the auto functions by firing the flash through the PC cord.

Auto mode uses a photo sensor on the body of the flash to extinguish it's output when enough light is reflected back from the subject. You need to adjust the switch to the aperture you are using and ensure the flash is within the indicated distance range to the subject. It works exactly the same regardless of whether it's fired through a PC socket, dedicated flash adaptor or a simple hot shoe adaptor.

If your current adaptor works with a film Pentax SLR it should work with a DSLR. There may be extra pins on the camera side but all the pins on your adaptor will line up with a pin on the hotshoe. The only difference is that the K100D uses P-TTL NOT TTL. If you have your flash set to TTL instead of auto it won't work. Try using the flash on manual before you invest in a PC cord. If it won't fire on manual using your existing hotshoe adaptor it probably won't work using a PC cord either.

07-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Dark Mist ~ Thankyou for your feedback ~ greatly appreciated.
I'm a little lost as to the settings "P-TTL NOT TTL" but will try to explain what I have and what I understand so that this issue might get resolved for everyones benefit.
On the back of the flash I'm able to select A (Auto) ~ 0.7 (over) 2.3 (midway on the switches movement to-) ~ M (manual). I can set ISO ~ F/stop ~ distance ~ and flash strength with 'full' being also the required choice for A (Auto). I have the 'OFF' ~ 'AC HV' ~ 'BATT' switch of course and a 'ready/test' button/indicator and an 'autoOK' indicator.
Connections to the flash are possible for PC-Synch ~ Hotshoe connector with 14 pin recepticle ~ and remote power supply.
I can only assume that the multi-pin recepticle was somehow able to gather info from the camera [ though reading your reply I may well be mistaken here ].
My confusion at this point may well be to do with what is required (in energy terms) of the camera to be able to fire the flash. Does the camera need to issue the 6.9Volt or is that voltage generated by the flash when it is fired???? thereby causing camera harm should this have been a different flash.
Once that is clear to me I believe the next thing is to verify that the adaptor is the correct one because the terminal setup does look different from the hotshoe to the adaptor ~ the adaptor doesn't have a central (return) terminal to start with that the camera appears to have. If this is the problem then I already own a PC~Synch cord and will only need to buy a suitable (Wein) adaptor to suit given that your informed reply suggests that the flash is quite capable of operating in auto mode with the camera being no more than a switch.
I was, unfortunately, spoilt with the Pentax Super A in that when requiring a flash I simply put everything onto Auto and it just worked.
Hoping you have the time to educate this old coot because walking a rifle when deerstalking has long gone but the opportunity to carry a camera that would include night photography is rather appealing.