Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k200d - trouble capturing purple.

Anyone out there have any trouble with there k200d capturing purple? I took some shots of my daughter's purple trike and the color came out a dark blue with a slight purple tinge. This was outdoors on a cloudy day with camera set to AWB. Tried different settings and shooting on a sunny day...always the same...looks awfully blue. I have reset the camera to factory settings and it's the same result. Also have noticed that reds really seem to be overly saturated. I'm not sure if this is just a characteristic of this camera or my copy.

I'm thinking of returning it to getting a new copy or having pentax look at it. Does anyone know how this process would work? Another issue is that in the lower right corner of the lcd, there is a bunch of dust under the glass...does hurt anything...just annoying!

Thanks,

Bill

07-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

Well not sure that this qualifies

Well I use the DS2... and love shooting gardens.

I've had a similar issue with purple... but I found it only occurred on the cameras LCD. Once imported, the correct color displayed. So I no longer worry about it.. of course it makes white balance in the field tougher. I however do not try to judge white balance from my LCD... plus I shoot raw. I prefer to tweak that on my monitor.

I have found exposing reds and yellows pretty tough. Judging if it is properly exposed on the LCD even trickier. Of course histograms help, but the DS2 doesn't show the histogram for each individual color channel (if it does... I'm ashamed to say... I don't know how to get the cam to do it).

Hope that helps...

Just import a few and check the color on a bigger Monitor...
07-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wildfire for writing. The problem seems to be the same when viewed on a computer monitor. Maybe it's just a quirk in the processor and will just have to post process. It just seems odd that my point and shoot Panasonic TZ3 seems to represent some color more acurately than my new DSLR.
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you shoot JPEG, lower the saturation to -1 or -2 and contrast to -1. You can always bring everything back in PP. That'll keep you from channel clipping. Red and purple can be troublesome. You can also also underexpose 0.3 to 0.5 stops.

07-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do shoot jpeg at this point - haven't made the leap to raw yet. I will try your tips out and see if that helps...thanks.
07-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #6

purple = one of the hardest colors to reproduce, whether it is a photo or on a printing press or tv set or computer monitor

for example, if you are an NFL fan the Vikings helmets are "purple" but depending upon which network is broadcasting and which tv set you watch - you will "see" either purple or blue
and for the record I AM NOT a Viking fan ( sorry Viking fans )

Go Colts
kmanlaker
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Go Vikes!

First of all, I'm a Seahawks fan thru and thru but, my family is from Minnesota...so, I do love the Vikes. Thanks for using them as an example of the purple problem . To be honest, I have noticed the same thing on TV. I guess I was a little bummed when my point and shoot picked up purple better than the DSLR. But, there are SO many other things I get to do with Pentax...and that's why I bought it.
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

I have attached a shot that has several purple thigs, as well as a royal blue for comparison. This one is ISO 800, indoor, hand-held ast 1/15th with the SR on. The purple is pretty much the color of the actual vehicle (called "Plum Crazy" actually). Anyway, my K200D seems to render purple just fine. Unfortunately, I had to reduce the full image to 25% of it's original size to attach it... just hate to reduce them! ;-)

Attached Images

09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I shoot only "auto" for now and this is how my K200D captures that colour. This was inside with natural light.
08-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildfire_ja Quote
Well I use the DS2... and love shooting gardens.

I've had a similar issue with purple... but I found it only occurred on the cameras LCD. Once imported, the correct color displayed. So I no longer worry about it.. of course it makes white balance in the field tougher. I however do not try to judge white balance from my LCD... plus I shoot raw. I prefer to tweak that on my monitor.

I have found exposing reds and yellows pretty tough. Judging if it is properly exposed on the LCD even trickier. Of course histograms help, but the DS2 doesn't show the histogram for each individual color channel (if it does... I'm ashamed to say... I don't know how to get the cam to do it).

Hope that helps...

Just import a few and check the color on a bigger Monitor...
I came here very late, but I am so glad that I did. The shots I had of the purple flowers I so love all got deleted in frustration before they ever got a chance to grace my computer. I tried a shot inside with my son's purple shirt, and sure enough it showed up blue on the lcd, but a perfectly rendered purple on iPhoto. Hi ho hi ho off to shooting I go!!!
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another factor to consider is the (possible) effect any filter fitted on your lens may have on rendering colours. Even transparent looking Skylight or 'protection' filters will have subtle effects across the colour spectrum.

My K200D doesn't have a problem with purples. It did have a tendency on the default 'AUTO PICT' position settings though to oversaturate reds and greens, but I just dial the saturation down now a notch when I am shooting JPEGs..
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The red channel tends to clip pretty easily, thus reducing purple to blue, or bright reds to duller reds. In scenes with lots of red, you often have to underexpose to keep from clipping that channel (and then try to fix things up in PP as best you can).