Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
It always amuses me to read posts about how such and such a camera has slow autofocus or has slow fps compared to other models. When I began as a newspaper photographer over 50 years ago, there was no such thing. I used two Contax IIA rangefinders and a Nikon SP for sports (it took me a while to convince the editor that the Speed Graphic the paper provided was maybe not the best tool for action), each with a different lens with the distance preset. Cameras were all-manual, auto nothing whatsoever. No zooms either. For some reason, we didn't know we were deprived. For sports we learned about the game and learned how to anticipate the action.

The world has changed, as have the benchmarks. You ran into that when you used a Nikon instead of a Speed Graphic for sports photography. Do you think you could make sale-able pictures now at a football game with a 50 year old Nikon rangefinder when your competition is using EOS1's and 300mm f2.8 lenses?
If your answer is yes, you are deluding yourself, though you might get some nice pictures of the cheerleaders.

07-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #62
Inactive Account

it’s ok to fantasize and role play

Sounds like a bunch of Pro poser s again. It’s just not reasonable to expect 2k of Pentax prosumer gear to compete with 20k of pro level Canon or Nikon.
'prosumer,' the consumer who thinks of himself as a semi-professional "
07-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just don't understand why someone joins a Pentax forum so they can tell everyone that they're selling all their Pentax gear because it doesn't meet their needs. Why not tell it to the Nikon/Canon/Olympus/whatever forum that they're switching to?

I come to a Pentax forum to discuss how to use my gear and share pictures taken with same. If I have problems, I'll ask questions. If I decide to switch systems, I don't feel the need to broadcast it. That's pretty much like going to someone's party just so you can tell them how their decorating and landscaping sucks.

I don't mind the questions and discussions about Pentax. However, given the level of vitriol in some of these posts, you have to wonder if these people just enjoy torturing themselves. Or, they're paid shills for other brands.
07-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I just want them sell their FA, FA* lens in cheap... where are they selling them?

07-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The world has changed, as have the benchmarks. You ran into that when you used a Nikon instead of a Speed Graphic for sports photography. Do you think you could make sale-able pictures now at a football game with a 50 year old Nikon rangefinder when your competition is using EOS1's and 300mm f2.8 lenses?
If your answer is yes, you are deluding yourself, though you might get some nice pictures of the cheerleaders.
Not at all. I would probably use a Nikon D3. But personally I'd rather photograph the cheerleaders. Happily I am now in a position to choose my subject matter without any regard to a client's needs. After many years of shooting sports, I am quite bored by it all. But cheerleaders are another matter! Anyway, my rangefinder cameras are long gone.

Richard
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
and the 40D IQ compared to the 20D - well lets just say you can sit in your closet with a cigarette lighter getting off on your faster low light AF and machine gunning shots to yor hearts content - I'll be outside enjoying my Pentax with its shake reduction on all my lenses.
Now that comment is gold

Made my afternoon cheers.
07-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
rfortson
Loyal Member
I just don't understand why someone joins a Pentax forum so they can tell everyone that they're selling all their Pentax gear because it doesn't meet their needs. Why not tell it to the Nikon/Canon/Olympus/whatever forum that they're switching to?

I come to a Pentax forum to discuss how to use my gear and share pictures taken with same. If I have problems, I'll ask questions. If I decide to switch systems, I don't feel the need to broadcast it. That's pretty much like going to someone's party just so you can tell them how their decorating and landscaping sucks.

I don't mind the questions and discussions about Pentax. However, given the level of vitriol in some of these posts, you have to wonder if these people just enjoy torturing themselves. Or, they're paid shills for other brands.

You raise interesting thoughts, but I think we need to afford space for these kinds of posts too. Perhaps this will act to bring closure for the poster, or vent the poster of the grief and frustration they so clearly feel. It must be sad to let go of such an investment--such letting go demands sharing I think.

And the
QuoteQuote:
"level of vitriol in some of these posts"
as you put it, is a flag as to just how much emotion people possess surrounding their feelings for and understanding of, different camera manufactuers' philosophies. All this net results in posts like these here, and at the other forums as well. If we can say hello to newcomers with well wishing and care, we can do the same to those leaving. Just like with the radio, if we dislike the song or commercial, we can switch the dial--so long as the rules of broadcast are adhered to all is well and good.

Regards,

Ernest

07-11-2008, 02:09 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
SNIP..what do you think 10fps can achieve, capturing pictures of children and pets, that 3fps with a good buffer can't?

Milk out the nose?
07-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Milk out the nose?
ha.. true. moments better caught on video, though.
07-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #70

been here a few weeks....

I am BORED with reading posts and seeing the forum headlines constantly slagging off pentax gear...I bought pentax over anything else mostly because the camera felt solid and well built and not like a toy, unlike the competition at the time. (at that price point)
Surely people must realise that all the camera manufacturers make good cameras these days, and that the reason for bad photo's is more down to running before you can walk, lack of imagination and not understanding how to turn your ideas into real results...lets just enjoy our cameras, and stop this childish bickering.!!
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I don't usually reply to posts like these, but this one is just obviously baiting you guys...

Play with your new camera for half a year and see Pentax beat it in one.

That's my £2
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pros tend to use what they have, and have to justify every purchase to their accountants, amateurs buy what they can afford, and don't have to justify anything.
Tell that to the girlfriend or wife..