Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sad Day

It’s a very sad day for me indeed. I just completed the sale of all my Pentax equipment. I had been a Pentax user since 1986 when I bought Super A. I progressed though the Pentax line with the purchase of a PZ-1, PZ1p, MZ-S, *istD and K10D and a collection of F* and FA* lens.

Why did I do this you ask? I could hardly wait for the K20D with all the hype that had been forth coming on this and other forums. The day the K20D hit my local camera store I went down to test it out. DISAPPOINTMENT is not a strong enough word. Pentax had not even addressed my two most wanted items. Faster auto focus and more frames per second. Even then, I though I would hold on for a while and see what Pentax was going to do. Then came the announcement that Pentax had fired all their US sale reps and cut their advertising budget. That did it. A company cannot survive without marketing and a vision. Hoya seem to have neither for Pentax

Heck they can’t even bring the DA* 60-250 to market that was announced two years ago.

A very sad day indeed!

07-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would hope they've fired all of their US sales reps as they have been doing a horrible job.. Do you have any idea of how many shops in the NY/NJ area claim to be authorized Pentax dealers yet don't have a single item in stock? And then proceed to attempt to sell you on Nikon or Canon?? Appalling!

With regards to your rant. Did you try the K20D with SDM lenses? Either way, you claim to have read all about the K20D yet the FPS eluded you?

Good luck with one of the other brands..
07-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about that fwbigd

Pentax does have to spend some time thinking about what they're doing.
They just can't expect to make it from word of mouth advertising alone, nor can they expect to do well without any sales reps

Personally I can live with their slow focus speeds, and even fewer fps, but one thing I won't accept is the poor customer service offered by Pentax Canada.
I hope that Pentax USA isn't heading in that direction.
07-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
With regards to your rant. Did you try the K20D with SDM lenses?
Yes, I tried it with both the 16-50 and 50-135. It just wasn't what I wanted, or had hoped for in a camera. It's truly sad because I hated giving up the quality of the Pentax lens.

07-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #5

So who are you jumping ship to?
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
So who are you jumping ship to?

No doubt Holga is the most reputable opponent.
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
It’s a very sad day for me indeed. I just completed the sale of all my Pentax equipment. I had been a Pentax user since 1986 when I bought Super A. I progressed though the Pentax line with the purchase of a PZ-1, PZ1p, MZ-S, *istD and K10D and a collection of F* and FA* lens.

Why did I do this you ask? I could hardly wait for the K20D with all the hype that had been forth coming on this and other forums. The day the K20D hit my local camera store I went down to test it out. DISAPPOINTMENT is not a strong enough word. Pentax had not even addressed my two most wanted items. Faster auto focus and more frames per second. Even then, I though I would hold on for a while and see what Pentax was going to do. Then came the announcement that Pentax had fired all their US sale reps and cut their advertising budget. That did it. A company cannot survive without marketing and a vision. Hoya seem to have neither for Pentax

Heck they can’t even bring the DA* 60-250 to market that was announced two years ago.

A very sad day indeed!
i'm surprised you had to wait till it came out to find out it had a slow AF and short FPS... this is something thats been known for awhile.

07-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Faster AF, more FPS eh.

Well i will agree the Pentax AF system is slower than my Nikon system, but i don't use my Pentax cameras as i do my Nikons.

I shoot for money with Nikon, I shoot what matters with Pentax.

I have the D2H that will fire like a machine gun, but have never used it that fast. Even at reining events, i rarely have it set at more than 3fps, and that gets all the action needed.

Unless you NEED 40 fps, whats the point in having it or wanting it.

If you shoot landscapes, portrait etc, its pointless, but you don't say what you do with your cameras.

What ever system you decide to buy into just remember one thing, you will NOT be happy with it. Each system hase its highs and lows.

Once people realize that about digital, threads like this will diminish.

Dave
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, Pentax is not for everybody, but when 3fps and SDM is not enough there's always the much more pricey Canons and Nikons...

I've tried the new Sony alpha series and the Olympuses of the same caliber as the K20D, and they're not much better IMO...
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ok!
Tell us the truth, why are you switching? Did you want it in silver? LOL All camera designs are a compromise. Cost is one of them and each manufacture makes them differently according to their percieved customer needs. The Canon 40D says that it will do 6.5fps, maybe that is the right choice for you. It is cheaper also.

Best wishes,Dave

A very sad day indeed!
07-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I've tried the new Sony alpha series and the Olympuses of the same caliber as the K20D, and they're not much better IMO...
Huuhh ??? Did you really test the a700 ? In bright daylight the differences are small, but still there. But go down to EV 7 and lower. Big difference ! JUst try AF-C and on the k20d and the similar mode on the A700. Try it indoors, or during an evening game of football, soccer, ice hockey or basketball.

lock
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Ok!
Tell us the truth, why are you switching? Did you want it in silver? LOL All camera designs are a compromise. Cost is one of them and each manufacture makes them differently according to their percieved customer needs. The Canon 40D says that it will do 6.5fps, maybe that is the right choice for you. It is cheaper also.

Best wishes,Dave
The truth is I wanted something that would AF faster more accurately and shoot more FPS.

I would not switch to Canon. I made that mistake once and bought a Canon EOS 5. Never again.
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Inactive Account

A very sad day indeed!

I went to the local Ritz camera shop here to get a Pentax lens July 4th. They had one and only one in stock: a 55-300mm. They told me not to buy it as Pentax is not going to be in business next year at this time. They said it is soon going to go the way of Minolta. They said most of the retail industry is already phasing out Pentax to phase in more Canon and Nikkon. In the end, they would not sell me the 55-300m. I was quite disappointed and very sad indeed!
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You might (will) find something that focuses faster. As to the accuracy, it might be a different story. All cameras are compromises, so what is good on one is weak on the other. As for FPS, some cameras do 6.5 FPS, but if you are shooting at 1/30th of a second, you won't see that rate. It's always trade-off. Whatever you choose, I still wish you good luck, but what you are looking for might not exist yet. Get in touch to let us know what you end up with and how you like it!
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Truth-be-told, if I had a *lot* more money for lenses, I would have went Nikon. D300 with a VR 70-200 f/.28 and their 24-70 f/2.8. Mmmmm...

Of course, those three components are $4500 alone. A bit beyond my entire system budget.

I'm overall happy with my system, but I do wish I had more FPS. Faster AF would be nice, but I try to avoid really low light so it's not too horrible.