Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

making a pledge

I pledge never to read another k20 vs k200 or k10 vs k100 thread and never to comment on them again. The all eventually devolve to we're better than you are just accept it threads. wanders mumbling over to the marketplace to spend money

07-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
scatron:
I'm not convinced the K200D is a big enough improvement over the S6000 to spend $550 (at amazon.com after $100 rebate) and I should just bite the bullet and spend $950 on the K20D.

I'm sure others have contemplated the same decision. Any advice? What convinced you to buy one over the other?
Yes, I also had to make this difficult decision just over 3 months ago. My advice, if you are even doubting at all the K200 as enough of a step up now, you will surely regret it later. Buy the K20! I did, back when it was not discounted and I am pleased with my decision.

Whatever you do, best of luck and welcome to Pentaxville.

Regards,

Ernest
07-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I pledge never to read another k20 vs k200 or k10 vs k100 thread and never to comment on them again. The all eventually devolve to we're better than you are just accept it threads. wanders mumbling over to the marketplace to spend money
I'm with you on that....except for the spending money part. I've been banned and don't see parole until 9/1.
07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the good discussion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
K20D, hands down, dont even think about it.
Perfect advice. I wish I could turn the analytical part of my brain off and just buy it.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
A lot depends on what you need the camera to do.
Very true. The more I look through our photos, the more convinced I am we need to upgrade.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
It fairly depends on what you are really willing to invest and on your subjects. In general, any DSLR will be a noticeable (I mean: big) improvement over even a good compact camera.
Good to know. I wasn't sure about this aspect - the potential upgrade in IQ going to a DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oooh, that's an easy one for me...
K20D is the only way to go.
I would consider the K10D if you weren't going to spend the extra cash for the K20D.
More customisable and easy to access features compared with the K200D - all for less money, esp. 2nd hand.
I did consider this. But with the rebate and current price on amazon.com, it's not much more to get the K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Before proceeding further, I'd like to ask you some pertinent questions, which I hope will help you come to a balanced decision.
<snip>
Excellent series of questions, Richard. Helped me clarify some issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I know that is a personal prefrence on which to get but it sounds to me as if there is a clear divide in pentax nation. I own a k200 and a k100 I dont use the pre-programmed scenes but I also dont have the money for the top model.
But the top model is only an extra $400. Therein lies my conundrum - K200 and a nice lens now, or the k20 and a nice lens later.

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
I had a K200D for about three months, then I upgraded to the K20D.
And that I can't afford to do. Whichever I get will be with us a long time.

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
But seriously, the two biggest improvements I've seen are the controls and the viewfinder.
Ease-of-use is definitely an issue, and not something easily discerned from a list of specifications.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
scatron, if you can spend the money, the K20D is the one to go for, and it is worth the price difference over the K200D.
That's the impression I'm getting. I think most folks would go with the K20 if money wasn't a constraint.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Definately the K20D. Worth every cent. The resolution is superior to the K200D, the functionality is superior and you don't need AA batteries to run it. My major gripe with the K100D Super was that I needed AA batteries. I much prefer the battery pack with the K20D. It is more compact and very powerful.
I like the universal availability of AA, but if the battery packs are long-lasting and one has an extra, this shouldn't be an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
It feels like a camera designed by photographers.
That's good to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, I also had to make this difficult decision just over 3 months ago. My advice, if you are even doubting at all the K200 as enough of a step up now, you will surely regret it later.
Good point. With the K20, I really shouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanks again, everyone. I'd have to say I'm leaning toward the K20D. I may have to upgrade my computer to handle the larger files but the advantages seem to outweigh the negatives.

07-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
Igilligan

I have the answer....

I too came from the fuji S6000... a great bridge camera, that now sits collecting dust. A total shame! I have two children and the lowlight/subject isolation of the dslr was calling me.

I came back to pentax when the K100d and K10d were the top dogs.... and I bought the K100d. It was all about the extra $400 I was saving at the time. It allowed me to get the DA 50-200 and the FA 50 1.4. And coming from a P&S world and being Freddy Frugal. I thought I had everything I needed. Plus like you I had some old lenses from the film days...

But here is the answer for you... If I knew then I would be spending a bunch of money on old lenses / new lenses / old flashes / new flashes and various other items....... I would have just spent the extra $400 to get the K10d. I love my old K100d and it has served me well but....

The difference between the K20 and K200 IMO is more than there was between the K100 and K10 at the time. Especially at least at the sensor level. Actually the K100 had some noise advantages over the K10. But I think that is the opposite with the K20/K200... Better noise and more resolution for the K20d. And the extra cropping ability of the 14mp sensor will come in handy for the moon - kid shots.

Anyway, with the rebates right now, I too am considering the upgrade now from the K100, and for me, with what I know now, the extra $400 is not much at all. And like you said, you will be keeping the body for a long time so why not get the best you can at the time.

I will say that if your kids soccer and moon/star shots are important to you then good glass could cost you some money.
And pentax is not the fastest AF for sports.

Good luck in whichever you get... And give or sell that fuji to someone who will use it.

Having said all of this.... the real limit I have reached with the K100d is ME.... It is a better camera than I am a picture taker.... Therefore I hope the extra resolution of the K20 will allow me to crop myself into being better.....

Last edited by Igilligan; 07-08-2008 at 10:09 AM.
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I will say that if your kids soccer and moon/star shots are important to you then good glass could cost you some money.
And pentax is not the fastest AF for sports.
Sorry I can't agree totally there. I have never been dissapointed with the Pentax AF system. I have found that even with a 50-500 Sigma that the focus speed is still very good.
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #22
Inactive Account

IMO:

K200d has 10.2M pixels whereas the images' purple fringe produced by most of the current lenses is around 1 to 2 pixels. The 10.2M resolution already an optimal for most of the existing lenses. In 100% crops from JPEG you always get a little bit softening no matter how you adjust the focus. Therefore 14M pixels you cannot tell so much bigger benefit from K20d in term of IQ; until you have lenses in future which could resolve image in higher details.

It is just my impression as I owned a K200d not a K20d.

BTW:
- K200d can adjust AWB, +0,3 EV (can select the opinion from menu)
- K200d 10.2 M Pixels you can open it in MS office 2002 in photo editor.

Last edited by ckanthon; 07-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #23
Igilligan

I was not trying to re-open the AF debate

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Sorry I can't agree totally there. I have never been dissapointed with the Pentax AF system. I have found that even with a 50-500 Sigma that the focus speed is still very good.
I was not trying to stir up the pot again, I was just trying to be honest about my experience with my camera.
I only have the lowly K100d and the AF is fast enough for a static bird on the wire kind of objects. And does Ok if the girls are running laterally if I stop down the aperture. But if my girls are even walking towards me, it can be pretty much hit or miss on getting any sharp AF shots. So in my experience forget any consistant 'AF' shots of someone running home from third base if you are behind home plate... I have tried it a few times at softball games with very limited success. Now I could MF on a spot just short of home or just past third and get a good result. Or if it was really bright and I could stop the lens way down I did better.
At the same game my cousin's D80 was not struggling with the AF issue near as much. And she was using her 18 - 135mm kit. I took some shots from the same position with it, and to me it just seemed to AF quicker.

If I am wrong to bring up the AF issue as I have experienced it with the last generation camera, to someone who is looking to get a camera to shoot sports shots of their children. Then my apologies... I do not have the K200 or K20d yet so I know I am talking a bit out of my arse... Now I have read that the AF tracking has been improved in the K20, but I also have read that it is only marginally improved if at all.

So hopefully someone with the K20d + Kids who play sports, will put the issue to bed and I will stand corrrected...

And of course it is all relative... how sharp does a shot of someone running the bases or kicking a soccer ball really need to be... they are family memories for goodness sakes. It is not like we are selling them to S.I.

07-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
IMO:

K200d has 10.2M pixels whereas the images' purple fringe produced by most of the current lenses is around 1 to 2 pixels. The 10.2M resolution already an optimal for most of the existing lenses. In 100% crops from JPEG you always get a little bit softening no matter how you adjust the focus. Therefore 14M pixels you cannot tell so much bigger benefit from K20d in term of IQ; until you have lenses in future which could resolve image in higher details.

It is just my impression as I owned a K200d not a K20d.
Your observation is quite right for a couple of lenses. I have seen myself with some lenses, that they work satisfactorily with the K10's 10 MP sensor, but break down completely on the K20, mainly in terms of contrast, which also compromises sharpness. That's even true for some quite modern lenses, not only old ones.

Nevertheless I have quite a few lenses, modern and old, which are very usable on the K20 and don't any sign of contrast loss. So there is no need to wait for future offerings, but one has to be careful with lens selection.

Ben