Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't quite understand it,
Possibly because people want (and are prepared to save up for) the HD version, for the weather resistance as much as anything else.

03-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also with the new price of the HD model dropping to around $250, the regular 55-300's are not going to bring $200.
03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Possibly because people want (and are prepared to save up for) the HD version, for the weather resistance as much as anything else.

Maybe I'm one of the few who DOES NOT wander around with my camera in a rain storm, so I don't quite understand the rush to include every WR lens that comes down the pike in one's lens inventory. I DO understand the advantage of having a "sealed" lens and camera for the sake of dust, however.
03-10-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Maybe I'm one of the few who DOES NOT wander around with my camera in a rain storm, so I don't quite understand the rush to include every WR lens that comes down the pike in one's lens inventory. I DO understand the advantage of having a "sealed" lens and camera for the sake of dust, however.
If every lens I have was available as a WR - or better still, all-weather model, that's what I'd have gone for. I'd rather have moisture and dust resistance and not need it most of the time, than to be without it when I do need it. That said, I probably make use of that weather-resistance only a very tiny fraction of the time!!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-10-2016 at 01:25 PM.
03-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yep, true. But then..... what if I buy it and then resell it for..... oh, let's say $250.00, then I'd have $50 more than I originally had to add toward that new limited. See my dilemma? And, I could compare the new 55-300mm to the one I already have and see which is sharper. I hate it when this happens!
You have cameras to sell and put money toward limiteds.

Here is from ebay completed actions search. Check your options there.
Pentax KX Digital Camera w 18 55mm 50 200mm Lens Kit White 326737 | eBay
03-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
You have cameras to sell and put money toward limiteds.

Here is from ebay completed actions search. Check your options there.
Pentax KX Digital Camera w 18 55mm 50 200mm Lens Kit White 326737 | eBay

I understand, but.... BUT the camera combo I'm referring to has the 55-300mm lens as well as the 18-55mm. If it was just the 18-55 & the 50-200, then I'd pass.

I've got the "Storm Trooper" K-x. What a cutie! I "need" the red version and the blue version now, don't you think?
03-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Are you sure that combo with 50-300 will give you much more than 50-200mm?
Plus, it's selling season now on PF here. I wish to have money for all great deals going now.
So, how long it will take you to re-sell? If you go on ebay, fees will eat big portion of your assumed $50 profit.

03-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Are you sure that combo with 50-300 will give you much more than 50-200mm?
Plus, it's selling season now on PF here. I wish to have money for all great deals going now.
So, how long it will take you to re-sell? If you go on ebay, fees will eat big portion of your assumed $50 profit.

I gave up selling on eBay long ago. Their fees left a very sour taste in my mouth. I have several other local outlets.... local photography clubs, personal friends that are photographers who in turn know a lot of others very often in the market for lenses and/or cameras. It's not like I'm investing the farm for the kit in question.... and if I have to hang onto it for a few months, oh well..... my gun safe is relatively empty now. I went from one hobby to another one about six months ago. I sold off most of my 40+ rifles and pistols, so I have a few $$$ for my new obsession. Now, what to do with those 200+ knives!

I'm not a Marketplace reseller. I don't pretend to know enough to do this as a very profitable sideline, but I HAVE done pretty well in the past couple of years when it comes to building up my personal collection of lenses by some very industrious CL scouring throughout the country. Blind pigs and acorns.

By the way, I'm going over this afternoon and picking up the K-x, with the two lenses.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
03-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Picked it up and it's cleaner than I had hoped. It had 1,334 SA's. I've got it all set up to my specs, gave it a trial run and it performs as advertised.

I think I know why she wanted to sell it. She said it was "too fancy" for her. All the settings were haywire. ISO @ 12,800, WB on tungsten, SR turned off, custom image settings were all maxed out, LCD color tuning askew.... and scene mode on Night Scene.

I'm going to take it afield tomorrow with a couple of lenses I need to validate.... a DA 18-250mm and F 35-135mm.... and see what transpires.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-10-2016 at 07:53 PM.
03-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took a few test shots today with the two "kit lenses" that came with the little K-x I bought last night. I used my old standby spruce tree in my neighbor's yard, as is serves me well for it's intended purpose. I was very pleased with the sharpness of both lenses.... both of them are sharper than any of the identical lenses I presently have. Here's what they produced. The top image is from the 18-55mm, the second from the 55-300mm. Sharp from corner to corner. I realize this is no professional way to test lenses, but for my purposes, it will work just fine. If I pixel-peep, it shows sharpness far beyond what one would expect from a "kit" lens. I noticed I had the metering mode set different for each shot.... but, I don't think it effected the sharpness factor.

I'm really pleased with the auto focus of the lens/camera combo, too. Spot-on, unlike one of the other versions of the K-x I have. I think this one will by my "keeper."

Last edited by Dewman; 08-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
03-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #26
Pentaxian

You aren't helping others who share your malady with the news that every piece of the new kit is better..
03-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
You aren't helping others who share your malady with the news that every piece of the new kit is better..

Just tryin' to be helpful! All kidding aside, though.... they were! I was tickled pink. Those who sneer at the 18-55mm because of the moniker "kit lens," are doing them selves a great disservice. If you find a good one, it's a remarkable lens. My WR version was the sharpest one I had until I came across this "new" one. I'll keep the WR copy just because I have the 50-200mm WR companion.... but, it'll be the new one I'll keep in my bag!
03-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I've always been quite satisfied with the 18-55 copies I've owned. Oddly both the 18-55 and 50-200s that I've owned in DAL WR form have been my best copies - perhaps they have tightened the kit assembly line? This one's from yesterday, no extra processing just cropped. No doubt spending $300 more would help.. but why again? Those fern fronds in the background are bokeh challenges for any lens

I post-saved as raw (one of my most-used features, thanks Pentax!). This should be fun to post-tweak!
03-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Looks like you would be buying duplicates of what you have already. If you have a family member you could give it to, or a acquaintance you could sell it to then it would be very much worth it. Looking at what you have already my thought would be to redirect the funds toward a DA 15 mm Limited. That would make a great high quality combo with your DA 35 Macro Limited.
Well, I see I was a little late to the responding party, I hope you enjoy your new acquisitions. The DA 55-300 is one of my favorite lenses.

Last edited by jddwoods; 03-13-2016 at 01:27 PM.
03-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I buy too many old lenses and stuff when they are priced right, and right now I have too many. When you get a kit like you just got, that excellent performance makes it worse, now you have to make decisions.