Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

new K10d Owner

wow -- 4 days with the cam and kit lens, I really like the feel and the quality from the K10

a little background on my other equipment - Canon 5D and a couple of L zooms
and 3 primes, also I still have my Spotmatic F ( black ) with 55 f1.8

the pentax 18-55 kit lens is actually alot better then I thought it would be
of course it is not the same as my "L" glass

the reason I got this model is that I have been eyeing getting a Pentax for a year or two ( whenever the K10d was introduced - I forget when that was ) and I was ready to order the new model K20D, until I was in my local camera shop and he had a left over K10D w kit lens ---- soooo I could not help myself and went ahead and got the K10d.

kmanlaker

07-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

congratulations on your new purchase,

however it is a little weird...you will find your L glass to produce better results until you start dropping below 1/30 shutter speeds.

unless you purchase some of the FA limiteds you might soon be swayed back to your old system... thats just a hypothesis however , atleast from my experience with L glass, i am very envious.
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
congratulations on your new purchase,

however it is a little weird...you will find your L glass to produce better results until you start dropping below 1/30 shutter speeds.

unless you purchase some of the FA limiteds you might soon be swayed back to your old system... thats just a hypothesis however , atleast from my experience with L glass, i am very envious.
oh yeah --- I am eyeing the Limiteds very seriously --- that was the main reason I have been looking at Pentax for the last couple of years ---- the lens that started my infatuation with Pentax is the 77mm ( which I do not own ---- yet )

as a shooter for 30+ years the all metal barrel and actually a depth of field scale on the barrel was the items that spurred my interest in the Pentax lens line-up

thanks
kmanlaker
07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your 5D is a piece of great engineering*- can't be compared with the K10D. But if you do find some nice * or ltd glassware, you might be pleasantly surprised...

Welcome...

07-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Your 5D is a piece of great engineering*- can't be compared with the K10D. But if you do find some nice * or ltd glassware, you might be pleasantly surprised...

Welcome...
and big thank you for the welcome
this site is much more friendlier than the DPR site

you are correct about the 5D being a nice cam ---- however I now have another
great cam in the K10d ----- with the access to some really nice prime lens'
the problem with primes in the Canon lineup is that the "L" series is much more $$ than the Pentax Limited series --- now throw in camera based image stabilization and I feel Pentax has a real winner with this combo

thanks
kmanlaker
07-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Good deal, it seems you're enjoying your new camera

As for DPReview - Yeah, a lot of the people on the Pentax forums there get their feathers ruffled a little too easily. I still read and post there, but you have to learn to filter the 'spam'. Over here it's pretty nice (and I like the forum layout a lot more)
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Good deal, it seems you're enjoying your new camera

As for DPReview - Yeah, a lot of the people on the Pentax forums there get their feathers ruffled a little too easily. I still read and post there, but you have to learn to filter the 'spam'. Over here it's pretty nice (and I like the forum layout a lot more)

I don't post on DPreview forums anymore due to their terrible forum engine and lack of Pop e-mail support.
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I read some of the DPReview stuff, but don't post there (actually got banned before I ever entered my first post). I have a hard time with their forum layout.

07-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Banned in record time?

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I read some of the DPReview stuff, but don't post there (actually got banned before I ever entered my first post). I have a hard time with their forum layout.

Just curious but how did you get banned before posting? That might be some sort of a record.
07-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter

There is no doubt in my mind that you will be very happy with the k10d. Congratualtions and welcome to PentaxForums.
07-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicheretic Quote
Just curious but how did you get banned before posting? That might be some sort of a record.
Don't know. I asked for, but never received, an explanation. I registered one day, tried to post a couple of days later, and the post was rejected because "you have been banned". WTF??? Oh well, it's their loss. I'm as happy as a pig in slop on this forum.