Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is there a K-1 in your future?
I'm happy with my K-30-KS-1 or other introductory model. 75.00%
I'm happy with my K-5 or other advanced user model. 128.57%
I'm happy with my K-3 or K3II 2115.00%
I have option 1 or 2 and I''l upgrade to a K-1 instead of a K-3 2920.71%
I have option1 or and I'll upgrade to a K-3 85.71%
I have a K-3 or a K3II and I'll upgrade to the next crop sensor released, if necessary. 32.14%
I have a K-3 or K-3 II and I'll upgrade to a K-1 next upgrade, but keeping my APS-c gear. 5438.57%
I'm ordering K-1 and selling my APS-c gear. 64.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's looking like the K-1 is going to be a real K-3 killer. Planned upgrades to a K-3 is currently at zero after 23 votes.

03-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm blocking on Pentax lenses, so I'm also blocking on the K-1. I suspended all k mount dependent expenses two years ago. I'm a bit stuck with the k mount: I currently have a K-3 with a bunch of k mount lenses (I exclusively own Pentax cameras and lenses). But, I'd like to have a larger sensor camera for wide angle up to short tele, and I'd like to have good long lenses and top notch AF. So, that would mean selling my Pentax APSC, buying a K-1 and 3 full frame K mount lenses and also buying Nikon or Canon for the choice of long lenses. In other word, I'm stuck by Pentax because if I want to move this way, I have to spend a lot of money. What could happen is to get a Canikon body and a long lens, but then the chance is high that I'd slip to the other brands and do not use my Pentax gear anymore, which would mean a big turn. Pentax does nice cameras, but they are slow to bring a full portfolio of lenses, I'm not sure if I want to wait 3 more years just to get a lens that may or may not come up. Here is the deal: what Ricoh are doing now, Canikon already have it right now, on the shelves and qualified. While Ricoh will have the same, then we'll have to wait for the bugs to be corrected , wait for the price to settle down... which is going to take a while.

So for the time being I use the K-3 and I wait.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-10-2016 at 01:13 PM.
03-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Im waiting to see how K-1 AF-C does. If it is on par with the canon 7D original then it will be my next camera. If not, then I wait to see what the next APS-C body looks like in that regard.
03-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I love PayPal credit.
I never knew about PayPal credit.

Spawn of the Devil, that stuff is.

03-10-2016, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm blocking on Pentax lenses, so I'm also blocking on the K-1. I suspended all k mount dependent expenses two years ago. I'm a bit stuck with the k mount: I currently have a K-3 with a bunch of k mount lenses (I exclusively own Pentax cameras and lenses). But, I'd like to have a larger sensor camera for wide angle up to short tele, and I'd like to have good long lenses and top notch AF. So, that would mean selling my Pentax APSC, buying a K-1 and 3 full frame K mount lenses and also buying Nikon or Canon for the choice of long lenses. In other word, I'm stuck by Pentax because if I want to move this way, I have to spend a lot of money. What could happen is to get a Canikon body and a long lens, but then the chance is high that I'd slip to the other brands and do not use my Pentax gear anymore, which would mean a big turn. Pentax does nice cameras, but they are slow to bring a full portfolio of lenses, I'm not sure if I want to wait 3 more years just to get a lens that may or may not come up. Here is the deal: what Ricoh are doing now, Canikon already have it right now, on the shelves and qualified. While Ricoh will have the same, then we'll have to wait for the bugs to be corrected , wait for the price to settle down... which is going to take a while.
You are speaking in generalities, exactly what combo are you looking at?

I mean when i did this a few years ago, I looked at a Nikon FF system after the D810 came out, and decided, to get what i wanted it would probably mean spending $25k. I see people walking around with Nikon 600 ƒ4 lenses all the time. Canadian, that's $15k. If you can see where I'm going with this, I'd like to be this guy, but I can't afford to be this guy. At some point, you have to sit down and figure out what you want costs. Then you can decide if you're going to try and get there.

At some point you might want to realize, you don't have the money to be this guy, so don't plan your life as if you want to be.

I've never heard one of these guys ever say they didn't have the money to buy something they wanted.
03-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K3 and K3II (and still can't seem to retire / let go of my "old" K5, though I really should!). I'm significantly invested in APS-C glass - a conscious decision I made with the low prices on DA Limited lenses last year. Plus, I unexpectedly got hold of a non-Pentax FF recently which has me covered in that format - and, with the weight of the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 for that camera, it has convinced me that I'll be sticking with APS-C for my day-to-day shooting. Will I ever get a K-1 or other future Pentax FF? Possibly... maybe even probably... but if it does happen, it won't be for some considerable time. But, I'm excited for those that *are* buying it, and can't wait to see the results everyone gets from it. I expect it will be a stunning bit of kit
03-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given what we know to date, how many are thinking there is a K-1 in their future?
I know there is a K-1 in my future, I have pre-ordered one already

I have been waiting to buy the K-1 since well before April 2014, the month I sold my K-7 and DA* lenses.
I have been dSLR-less since, but happily shooting Pentax FF with my SV, ESII, K2, LX and MZ-3

Last edited by Moe49; 03-10-2016 at 02:11 PM.
03-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're like me, except my equipment fund was wiped out by repair costs after I dropped my DA*60-250. I thought i was getting ready, but I'm back to zero.
Well that sucks in so many ways.

Steve
03-10-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
While Ricoh will have the same, then we'll have to wait for the bugs to be corrected , wait for the price to settle down... which is going to take a while.

So for the time being I use the K-3 and I wait.
There you go...buy the K-1 when it becomes available and keep the K-3 for use with longer glass (say Bigma or DA 300). If you absolutely must have state-of-the-art AF at the same general performance point, sell everything and buy a D7200 and D810 and appropriate high-end stabilized Nikkor and Sigma lenses. Food, shelter, and adequate clothing are highly overrated.

Steve
03-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's looking like the K-1 is going to be a real K-3 killer. Planned upgrades to a K-3 is currently at zero after 23 votes.
Yep, and why I think better video will be introduced via the K3/APS-C flagship.
The K3 infrastructure is fast, and can probably handle higher frame rates and better codecs.
Everything is already there.

A video K3 could be a MFT killer, and a way to differentiate against the K1 and 645z.

It makes logical sense. It's what I would do given the Pentax offerings as of know.

What does Pentax have to lose?

Nothing, and in effect, stretch out the life-cycle of the K3.
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Aren't there already several threads on this? Or are those threads for pre-orders only?
Norm is the Head Department Head of the Department of Repetitive Redundancies Department.

Anyway, I have a K-01 and K-5 II and no intent of "upgrading" to a new camera - a choice not included in the poll.
03-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given what we know to date, how many are thinking there is a K-1 in their future?
Would have liked to vote....but I have no current Pentax, only my mint K100 Super. Fortunately I also use a Sony A7 II and a Panasonic GH-4.
I have pre-ordered the K-1. Will decide later which to keep, or maybe to keep both.
03-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
SO far 78% are buying a K-1. DId I phrase this question in such a way that it eliminated everyone who's not planning to buy a K-1?

Maybe my title should have been, Your chance to vote for not buying a K-1.
03-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

You are speaking in generalities, exactly what combo are you looking at?
I have a DA300 , I use it with the TC. I like the image quality of the DA300 without TC. With TC, image quality is not so great to my taste. So, I would like to have a sharp 400mm on apsc but Ricoh does not have it. Canon have it but it is not IS. Beyond the Canon 400mm f5.6, it's getting really expensive and heavy. I also considered the DA560 but I'm not impressed with the image quality at this price, it does not seem to be good value for me, the DA560 is almost the price of a Canon 500 f4 that I saw recently in a shop but the Canon is faster and better optically. Then considering the zooms: DFA150-450, no more reach than my DA300+TC, and no much sharper... and the DFA is heavier, so I stay with the DA300 TC combo that I already have. I also considered the Sigma 150-600 S, which I suppose would be a little sharper than the DFA150-450 but still not as good as a prime on apsc body, but... if I mounted a Siggy 150-600 S on a ff body, 600mm f6.3 would be like 400mm f4.5 on my K-3... so that would meet my goal, and the sigma 150-600 is not as expensive as a long prime, but then the Sigma 150-600 is not available in K mount (on a K-1 for example). So, I'm stuck. I recently had a look a the price of fluorite telescope such as Borg + field flatener + T mount... which in essence would deliver a better IQ than the DA560, similar reach, but cheaper and manual focus... I can only conclude that the new Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 currently are the best reach / IQ for the money versus any other camera brand, but unfortunately not available for the k mount. So, I wait, in case something would change in the future. I pray for Ricoh to drop the price of the DA560 or redo a DFA600 f5.6, then I'd get a K-1 and a DFA600.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
03-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Norm is the Head Department Head of the Department of Repetitive Redundancies Department.

Anyway, I have a K-01 and K-5 II and no intent of "upgrading" to a new camera - a choice not included in the poll.
Ya I know, my poll sucks. We need a poll committee who can think of everything.