Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Is there a K-1 in your future?
I'm happy with my K-30-KS-1 or other introductory model. 75.00%
I'm happy with my K-5 or other advanced user model. 128.57%
I'm happy with my K-3 or K3II 2115.00%
I have option 1 or 2 and I''l upgrade to a K-1 instead of a K-3 2920.71%
I have option1 or and I'll upgrade to a K-3 85.71%
I have a K-3 or a K3II and I'll upgrade to the next crop sensor released, if necessary. 32.14%
I have a K-3 or K-3 II and I'll upgrade to a K-1 next upgrade, but keeping my APS-c gear. 5438.57%
I'm ordering K-1 and selling my APS-c gear. 64.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #91
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,866
Original Poster
Well the poll is closed. Thanks to all who participated. It's looking like Pentax might sell a boat load of these cameras.

The planned adoption rate among poll recipients is 63%

28% are happy with their existing cameras.

8% are planning to stay with APS-c on their next upgrade.

The site shows 41,627 users...
But the number of online users shows 199 members and 896 guests, which would suggest there are far more guests , but a lot of the 41,000 members are probably not active. So, there are no hard numbers here, way to many factors not accounted for.

Bit if 63% of 41,000 user bought a K-3 that would be 25,000 K-1s sold.

I wonder if we can get a group discount?

03-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #92
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,771
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bit if 63% of 41,000 user bought a K-3 that would be 25,000 K-1s sold.
You know, Mark Jerling's poll back awhile indicated (if I remember right) that 60% of the members of this forum would buy a FF Pentax DSLR. I told him his poll could not possibly be accurate..................

Maybe I owe him an apology.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 08:12 PM ----------

Here is the link to Mark's poll just for reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273288-poll-gauge-h...ff-pentax.html
03-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #93
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,866
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You know, Mark Jerling's poll back awhile indicated (if I remember right) that 60% of the members of this forum would buy a FF Pentax DSLR. I told him his poll could not possibly be accurate..................

Maybe I owe him an apology.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 08:12 PM ----------

Here is the link to Mark's poll just for reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273288-poll-gauge-h...ff-pentax.html
I still feel this poll can't be accurate... my suspicion is that there is less participation by entry level users in the poll, but also in the forum in general. Without a check box in the user profile for equipment owned, etc. it's hard to come to any kind of understanding of who voted, and how much they represent the forum. SO my suspicion is that poll participants are the keeners. That 60% of the keeners would be interested an a different format using the same lenses, isn't really surprising.

What does it mean in the real world? That of the hundred keenest forum participants 60% will buy a K-1. Stated that way, it doesn't sound so impressive. IN some ways, you wonder why it isn't more. These guys like cameras, they like fooling around, trying different things, reading what others do, learning new techniques, why wouldn't they try a different format? at least in theory.

The way I see, it, I'm not changing systems, I'm adding to my existing system. It's the same as a lens. If I buy it and don't use it, it's one item to sell, just as if it were an expensive lens, that I bought and didn't use. It's different than the aggravation of selling all your gear and buying all new gear.

IN some ways I'd ask, if you're willing to try a new lens, why wouldn't you try a new body, that gives a new field of view to all your favourite lenses.? A real world example. If I'm in my blind with the A-400 and a Hairy woodpecker turns up, he's too big for my field of view. Put the FF on it instead of putting a different lens on the camera.... it's the same as having a shorter lens.

I have no idea how practical an idea this is, but, I'm at least going to find out. And if I sell it in the end, well, I've sold a couple of lenses as well. it happens. Things don't work out the way you planned, sometimes , no matter what you are buying.

Last edited by normhead; 03-13-2016 at 06:05 AM.
03-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,547
Norm, I am approaching the advent of the K1 in the same way I approached the release of the 645 by Pentax in my film days. I prefer the smaller size and lower weight of the smaller sensor/film size cameras. I already carry 18-20 Kg of stuff on my back and a tripod on my shoulder when I head out. Not to mention that She Who Must Be Obeyed would turn me into a soprano voice if I spent that kind of money on a camera.

03-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #95
Pentaxian
danielchtong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 848
My latest dslr is the vintage K20D. And all my lenses are FF ready for the transition. After confirmations from a few of the senior members in the community, I will join the club
03-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #96
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,866
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Norm, I am approaching the advent of the K1 in the same way I approached the release of the 645 by Pentax in my film days. I prefer the smaller size and lower weight of the smaller sensor/film size cameras. I already carry 18-20 Kg of stuff on my back and a tripod on my shoulder when I head out. Not to mention that She Who Must Be Obeyed would turn me into a soprano voice if I spent that kind of money on a camera.
I'm certainly in no hurry. Around here She Who Mudt Be Obeyed says I have to sell enough gear to cover at least half of it. And what I'd saved so far, got wiped out when I dropped my 60-250.

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
My latest dslr is the vintage K20D. And all my lenses are FF ready for the transition. After confirmations from a few of the senior members in the community, I will join the club
Already having FF lenses certainly makes it easier.
03-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #97
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,555
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I still feel this poll can't be accurate... my suspicion is that there is less participation by entry level users in the poll, but also in the forum in general. Without a check box in the user profile for equipment owned, etc. it's hard to come to any kind of understanding of who voted, and how much they represent the forum. SO my suspicion is that poll participants are the keeners. That 60% of the keeners would be interested an a different format using the same lenses, isn't really surprising.

What does it mean in the real world? That of the hundred keenest forum participants 60% will buy a K-1. Stated that way, it doesn't sound so impressive. IN some ways, you wonder why it isn't more. These guys like cameras, they like fooling around, trying different things, reading what others do, learning new techniques, why wouldn't they try a different format? at least in theory.

The way I see, it, I'm not changing systems, I'm adding to my existing system. It's the same as a lens. If I buy it and don't use it, it's one item to sell, just as if it were an expensive lens, that I bought and didn't use. It's different than the aggravation of selling all your gear and buying all new gear.

IN some ways I'd ask, if you're willing to try a new lens, why wouldn't you try a new body, that gives a new field of view to all your favourite lenses.? A real world example. If I'm in my blind with the A-400 and a Hairy woodpecker turns up, he's too big for my field of view. Put the FF on it instead of putting a different lens on the camera.... it's the same as having a shorter lens.

I have no idea how practical an idea this is, but, I'm at least going to find out. And if I sell it in the end, well, I've sold a couple of lenses as well. it happens. Things don't work out the way you planned, sometimes , no matter what you are buying.
Norm, I did vote, of course! I need to crunch the maths again on that poll - 431 voted. Would have been nice to get to 500, but oh well!
03-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #98
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,555
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You know, Mark Jerling's poll back awhile indicated (if I remember right) that 60% of the members of this forum would buy a FF Pentax DSLR. I told him his poll could not possibly be accurate..................

Maybe I owe him an apology.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 08:12 PM ----------

Here is the link to Mark's poll just for reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273288-poll-gauge-h...ff-pentax.html
After calculating for margin of error, and working to the 431 sample size, that poll is still sitting at 65%, with a certainty of 99%, with raw data 71% who want a FF.

03-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #99
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,673
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
After calculating for margin of error, and working to the 431 sample size, that poll is still sitting at 65%, with a certainty of 99%, with raw data 71% who want a FF.
I think we can safely say that we'd ALL want a FF... it's just a case of if we'd spring for one
03-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,024
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.

What does it mean in the real world? That of the hundred keenest forum participants 60% will buy a K-1. Stated that way, it doesn't sound so impressive. IN some ways, you wonder why it isn't more.
I can think of 1700 (USD) good reasons ... ☺
03-13-2016, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,443
With a global population approaching 8,000,000,000 I think this poll shows a virtual certainty that Pentax can sell 100,000 K-1's in the first round.
03-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #102
Pentaxian
virusn3t's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 611
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
With a global population approaching 8,000,000,000 I think this poll shows a virtual certainty that Pentax can sell 100,000 K-1's in the first round.
100k is the expected first batch? I always think the regular batch could be 50k
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,443
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
100k is the expected first batch? I always think the regular batch could be 50k
HIIK. What I do know is the first batch of 645z's was increased dramatically (from 5,000 to 20,000) to meet dealer pre-order demand. I'd love to know how many B&H and Adorama have ordered for general inventory. I'd love to know how many RIAC has ordered for non-B&H/Adorama distribution.

I personally believe this camera will do better than anyone except Ricoh thinks.
03-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #104
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,771
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
anyone except Ricoh thinks.
Maybe even Ricoh
03-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #105
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 997
The thing about any online poll is that it is self-selecting.

First, only those who are interested in the topic even read the poll. Perhaps many satisfied customers are happy with their equipment and don't bother to read and fill it out.

Then, there are those who simply don't respond to polls, period. Either they came to the site for other reasons or they don't want to say what they're doing, or whatever.

Then, there are people who over-rate their ambitions, maybe checking YES to an upgrade, but just hoping the money appears and can't place an order today.

There are all these variations with an online, public access poll. It gives you a feel for which way the wind is blowing, but isn't quite perfect. A well-run scientifically random, distributed poll would provide much better data. The thing is, it costs money to do that. Maybe Pentax has done that or maybe they have their own corporate forecasting department who figures these things out. Having been a corporate forecaster for some years in my past, I can testify to the black arts they engage in to come up with some oddly accurate numbers (or people get fired).

But I enjoy the poll and seeing how it evolves. Personally, I think Pentax appears to have delivered quite a nice product at a good price point. I think it's going to be quite successful. We'll soon see!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
400mm, 600mm, apsc, body, camera, canon, couple, da300, da560, department, dslr, europe, f5.6, f8, ff, image, k-1, k10d, lens, lenses, photography, pm, post, price, sigma, tc, upgrade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I will not buy a K-1 Franc Pentax K-1 24 02-17-2016 05:28 PM
Ann Romney 'We've Given All You People Need To Know jogiba General Talk 40 07-21-2012 10:50 AM
Lets play a game - How many lenses and what should I buy next? paperbag846 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 32 10-21-2010 09:37 AM
how do i know if a lens will work with my k-x? jupzchris Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 08-01-2010 09:52 AM
How Can You Easily Tell How far a Given Focal Length will Zoom? jaieger Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 20 07-18-2010 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top