Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is there a K-1 in your future?
I'm happy with my K-30-KS-1 or other introductory model. 75.00%
I'm happy with my K-5 or other advanced user model. 128.57%
I'm happy with my K-3 or K3II 2115.00%
I have option 1 or 2 and I''l upgrade to a K-1 instead of a K-3 2920.71%
I have option1 or and I'll upgrade to a K-3 85.71%
I have a K-3 or a K3II and I'll upgrade to the next crop sensor released, if necessary. 32.14%
I have a K-3 or K-3 II and I'll upgrade to a K-1 next upgrade, but keeping my APS-c gear. 5438.57%
I'm ordering K-1 and selling my APS-c gear. 64.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #61
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I couldn't have guessed the GR thing but, "I have some wierd EVF Sony camera that I can sell now that there is a Pentax Full Frame. For what I'll get for it, I can probably buy the K-1 and a 28-105." should have been an option.
Could you stick Panasonic in there for me too, please, Norm?

03-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Voted have 1 or 2 and upgrade to K-1. Until recently I had thought that APS C was fine, so would upgrade to K-3, but recently have changed to wanting the FF. Will need some glass. I have M50 1.4 and two Vivitar's - a 28mm and 70-200. But they are not high end. And, they are manual. Wonder if the K-1 has a green button?
03-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #63
Veteran Member

It's interesting how difficult it is to anticipate every possible response in a poll. I was thinking about that phenomenon just this morning
looking at DPR's "do you still shoot film" poll. They have a couple snarky choices, (film is for hipsters....), but somehow missed one
seemingly obvious answer, "I have no need to shoot film now that digital has come of age". I chose "I shoot film occasionally", though
in reality that means two rolls of film in the past 10 years.

As for the K-1....

I do plan to get a Pentax FF body, at some point. It may be the K-1, or it may be the next model. Having just upgraded my K10D
to a K-3 just last year, I don't see any need to move forward just yet. And besides, I don't consider a Full Frame body as an
upgrade per se. It's a different format. I'm very excited to explore the FF format at some point, and very much looking forward
to once again shooting a 28mm as a wide, but it won't be happening until at least end of year or well into 2017.
03-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #64
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Wonder if the K-1 has a green button?
Yes, it does

03-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I have a few full frame primes including the 3 amigos so on a certain level I could get a K1 tomorrow and make use of it. That said I have been walking around making myself really use a zoom lens as of late and that's been growing on me.

The jury is still out on the FF zoom lenses but the 24-70 looks ok. It's the FF rough equivalent (in focal length) to the 16-50mm. I am also interested in the wide angle zoom. I have no idea what the 28-105 will deliver but first thoughts are it won't be wide enough on the wide end to cover what I would like. Long story short if I am paying for a Full Frame I want to be able to use the Full Frame. I will end up buying a body and lens combo but for a $3000 total investment I want to see what it delivers before I jump on board.

Plus my K-3 is still pretty new so I am probably a year out or more before I upgrade. If I come in to some money though I could potentially do it sooner.
03-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have a few full frame primes including the 3 amigos so on a certain level I could get a K1 tomorrow and make use of it. That said I have been walking around making myself really use a zoom lens as of late and that's been growing on me.
Although going a little off-topic here, I think this is worth acknowledging. I started with zooms, shifted toward primes, and now find myself in a situation where good quality, fast zooms at the shorter end - 17-50 f/2.8, and 28-75 f/2.8 specifically - do most of what I need, depending on what that need is. My DA and DA Limited lenses between 15 and 40mm are seeing less use than I expected right now (though I do love my DA35 f/2.4 plastic fantastic, and I still love those Limited lenses even if I use them less). Also, having bought a Sony-A-mount-based FF camera a few weeks back along with a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, I'm again finding that most of my needs are covered by those high quality zooms (which is just as well, considering the price of additional high-end A-mount lenses!!). There are plenty of situations where a fast and/or compact and/or light-weight prime is a better choice, for sure... but I'm surprised at how satisfactory I find a good quality zoom to be...
03-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in the "have K3 and want to upgrade and keep APSC kit" crowd, but with a difference, I also have a D800 (which I am warming to...read getting used to), which I am trying to sell to fund the K1, so whilst I would like to go down the K1 path for simplicity, one system, better use of lenses etc etc,.. I am in no hurry.

03-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #68

Whoops, wrong thread.

My K10D is getting old and won't last forever. The crop mode on the K-1 is still an upgrade in terms of sensor resolution. So why not kill to birds with one stone?
03-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You should never store your cameras in the same room as your tripods, they do get talking ...
Yep can vouch for that....they can get quite vocal about their owners too.
03-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I'm in the "have K3 and want to upgrade and keep APSC kit" crowd, but with a difference, I also have a D800 (which I am warming to...read getting used to), which I am trying to sell to fund the K1, so whilst I would like to go down the K1 path for simplicity, one system, better use of lenses etc etc,.. I am in no hurry.
You'll be able to play with a K1 in a month or so..... maybe do some D800 comparison shots.

"I'll see you at the Hindmarsh Island bridge at sundown.... for a shoot out".... unless you know of a corral some where?
03-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #71

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't have guessed the GR thing but, "I have some wierd EVF Sony camera that I can sell now that there is a Pentax Full Frame. For what I'll get for it, I can probably buy the K-1 and a 28-105." should have been an option.
Yes, I would be willing to bet that you would have had a few takers with that option.
03-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow a hundred participants for this poll. That's interesting just in itself. I wonder what the demographic is.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2016 at 07:19 PM.
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #73
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow a hundred takes for this poll. Seems to be a popular topic.
And interesting stats so far. 41% going for the K1 but keeping their APS-C kit, with only 4% switching completely. While the K1 is undoubtedly svelte as FF cameras go, I wonder if (m)any will find the FF camera plus fast zooms (the 24-70 and 70-200, both f/2.8) too chunky and heavy for day-to-day use. I suspect a few will...
03-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Congrats! Why the 10-17 instead of the 15mm ltd? For the fisheye?
I found it cheap while looking for telephoto lenses.
Ironic, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Should keep you busy for a ... little while
ie: a week?
03-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I found it cheap while looking for telephoto lenses.
Ironic, eh?

ie: a week?
It depends on how long it takes you to get bored of really goofy looking selfies.