Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is there a K-1 in your future?
I'm happy with my K-30-KS-1 or other introductory model. 75.00%
I'm happy with my K-5 or other advanced user model. 128.57%
I'm happy with my K-3 or K3II 2115.00%
I have option 1 or 2 and I''l upgrade to a K-1 instead of a K-3 2920.71%
I have option1 or and I'll upgrade to a K-3 85.71%
I have a K-3 or a K3II and I'll upgrade to the next crop sensor released, if necessary. 32.14%
I have a K-3 or K-3 II and I'll upgrade to a K-1 next upgrade, but keeping my APS-c gear. 5438.57%
I'm ordering K-1 and selling my APS-c gear. 64.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It depends on how long it takes you to get bored of really goofy looking selfies.
Selfie?
What's that?

03-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm impressed, 43 % plan to buy the K-1 as a complimentary camera to their K-3, which is what i intend to do. I feel so average. I've never been an average kind of person before.

---------- Post added 03-10-16 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Selfie?
What's that?
I added examples, pay attention.
03-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I added examples, pay attention.
I managed to reply before you edited...

The family?
03-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, Misty (the dog) is missing and old Dreamer (the dog) is dead, but the rest of us are all there.

03-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't upgrade to the K-1. I'm getting what I want from my new-to-me K3. It is such an upgrade from my K10D, bought in 2007, that I'm in la la land with it. My history with Pentax stretches back to 1961 with a used original model complete with Tak 55/2.2 preset. Used that into the 1970's when the shutters wore out. Replaced it with a used KX. Replaced that with a new (first!) SF-1 because the LX + winder was too much money. Went to Chicago for a few years, and said SF-1 somehow migrated into my wife's hands to replace her venerable ME that was bought with a 28-80 for a two month bicycle trip in Europe with our daughter. "Hi, Mom, wanna go biking in Europe for a coupla months?" The ME and lens went into her back pack just fine. I HAD TO buy a brand new MZ-S and FA 24-90, of course. MZ-S was replaced by K10D in November of 2007. The K10 was replaced with the K-3 last year. I still have the 24-90.

---------- Post added 2016-03-10 at 22:05 ----------

What took you so long?
Where are all your "happy with my K-3"buddies.

Make some calls , get the vote out.
I'm on that choice, and verbosely, too. I'm bored and in a motel room far from home ....

---------- Post added 2016-03-10 at 22:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Selfie?
What's that?
Some other kind of collie? I've had shelty and smooth and ...
03-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Everything is subject to change but I will most likely end up upgrading to a K3II (used) before I get a K-1 (used).
03-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I've been very happy with my K3, so much so that letting things play out over time is no problem. I chose option 3 but what my real choice is, " I have a K3 and I'll upgrade to a Pentax FF next upgrade...most likely a K1II while keeping my APSc gear". However, I will be watching closely what Pentax's implementation of this sensor can do in the hands of the many proficient PF members who will be the 1st adopters and who knows...if all seems well and the already good price drops further by the end of the year then perhaps I'll pick one up

03-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I've been very happy with my K3, so much so that letting things play out over time is no problem. I chose option 3 but what my real choice is, " I have a K3 and I'll upgrade to a Pentax FF next upgrade...most likely a K1II while keeping my APSc gear". However, I will be watching closely what Pentax's implementation of this sensor can do in the hands of the many proficient PF members who will be the 1st adopters and who knows...if all seems well and the already good price drops further by the end of the year then perhaps I'll pick one up
I think a lot of us are in that boat. The quality provided by the K-3 greatly reduced my interest in a D800 or K-1 as it got the APS-c body close enough to 36 MP FF quality, to make you really have to have a commercial reason to go for the FF. For my personal satisfaction, a K-3 is fine. But I might buy a K-1 just because it's there, and then figure out what to do with it. But, I did the same with a Sigma DP2 Merril, and it's long gone. The fact that I'm going to let it show me what it can do in no way indicates I'm going to keep it.

A K-3II with pixel shift and GPS is still a really attractive option.
03-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #84
Veteran Member

i think i'll be holding onto my k5 body for a lil while longer. it helps with doing wedding photography, where one lens is zoom, the other is prime. saves time and hassle.

i'm just having a hard time figuring out if i should just pre-order the camera from B&H and pay a hefty border charge to canada; preorder it from a canadian store and pay a hefty charge on tax (and our dollar sucking), or just drive across the border and get it from there where i lose time and gas money...but seeing as how gas is low, i maybe able to save about $600 bucks this route...$600 can get me a decent lens...
03-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I've answered Option 1. Although it would have been more like "I have option 1 but wait the announce of the next generation of APS-C bodies to decide on anything".
03-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #86
Veteran Member

For my personal satisfaction, a K-3 is fine. But I might buy a K-1 just because it's there, and then figure out what to do with it.
This is pretty much where I'm at.

I chose #7 though I tend to view the purchase of a K1 as more of an addition to my photographic arsenal than an upgrade from the K3, which I'm anticipating will likely continue to be my goto body.

My K-3 works for most common situations for me (mainly long tele or macro shooting). I've added an A7S with a couple of FE lenses for low light work and situations where the EVF and/or totally silent operation are advantages, but I've had 12 years of LBA where I've added quite a few K mount lenses that work adequately with a 36x24 format body, and though they do work with the A7S with an adapter, I generally prefer an OVF, AF, and the Pentax user interface that I'm so used to. The K1 will give me more FOV versatility with lenses I already have, higher ISO capability, and I have some ideas about how shooting in the crop mode might give me some advantages, especially if the AF is as improved as some have claimed (but I've heard this all before, so I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful. ..).

I'll wait for the first adopters to weigh in before I buy one, but I doubt that I'll wait for any significant price drop before picking one up.

Scott
03-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You'll be able to play with a K1 in a month or so..... maybe do some D800 comparison shots.

"I'll see you at the Hindmarsh Island bridge at sundown.... for a shoot out".... unless you know of a corral some where?
sadist

anytime, any place buddy
03-11-2016, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
i think i'll be holding onto my k5 body for a lil while longer. it helps with doing wedding photography, where one lens is zoom, the other is prime. saves time and hassle.

i'm just having a hard time figuring out if i should just pre-order the camera from B&H and pay a hefty border charge to canada; preorder it from a canadian store and pay a hefty charge on tax (and our dollar sucking), or just drive across the border and get it from there where i lose time and gas money...but seeing as how gas is low, i maybe able to save about $600 bucks this route...$600 can get me a decent lens...
That doesn't get you out of the exchange.

B&H price... $1,796.95
In Canadian funds 2375.21
Canadian retail price 2499

Your savings for your drive and time $125.

Your gas and time buys you a filter and battery, but you don't get the two year Canadian warranty.

It could be a costly decision if you need warranty work.
03-11-2016, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SO far 78% are buying a K-1. DId I phrase this question in such a way that it eliminated everyone who's not planning to buy a K-1?

Maybe my title should have been, Your chance to vote for not buying a K-1.
Yep, you got so specific that nobody fits. You insulted my K-30 by calling introductory, after all it was a step up from K20D which introduced me to the brand, (Now the K-30 is the in corner sulking).

You're missing the obvious answers of "maybe", "we'll see", "when I win the lottery and can buy every lens", "when the price drops to half", "I'm waiting for the FF mirrorless", "I'm going back to film", "when Pentax comes up with the odd ball features I demand", and so on and so on.

Seriously, my honest answer would be I'm not ready for a new camera right now, but when I am it will be a serious contender".

Good poll Norm, we're having fun with it.
03-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Will it be a more fuel-efficient model, or FF?
I'm looking and the prices are scaring the crap out of me. I currently drive a Canyon. They started making them again last year after discontinuing it (and the Chevy Colorado). The prices are insane! In regards to trucks, I'm NOT a FF guy. I'm trying to get a decent deal on a Tacoma but striking out. The Ford Ranger is discontinued. Could the current state of small pickups be the future of the APS-C camera?