Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Abnormal exposure...

I've noticed recently (and have evidence from beginning of January) that the first photo I take when I turn the camera on will be dark. Two images taken right after each other with the same exposure the first will be dark and the second won't. See attached images. The lighting conditions did not change.
What could be causing this?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
03-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it happens with more than one lens, I would suspect the infamous K-30/K-50 aperture controller issue. If you camera is still under warranty, it might be time to give Ricoh Canada a call to arrange service.

Steve
03-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If it happens with more than one lens, I would suspect the infamous K-30/K-50 aperture controller issue. If you camera is still under warranty, it might be time to give Ricoh Canada a call to arrange service.
I refuse to believe this!
NO NO NO.

BUt the thing is it is only happening when I first turn on the camera, every time after it is fine...
03-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
BUt the thing is it is only happening when I first turn on the camera, every time after it is fine...
That's how it starts.... at least for me... I sent my K-30 in for repairs and it's been fine since. But check other automatic lenses.

03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
That's how it starts.... at least for me... I sent my K-30 in for repairs and it's been fine since. But check other automatic lenses.
Oh no...

Yep happens with every lens...
03-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I refuse to believe this!
NO NO NO.
Get it seen to now, while the camera is still supported. I waited too long to send in my *ist-DL, only to be told they no longer had the necessary parts. FWIW, I found that Ricoh Canada's consumer interface was pretty good - they were reasonably fast getting back to me with the bad news, and they did so as a communication from an actual technician who was willing to discuss the details of the problem rather than just an auto-reply from an unmonitored address.
03-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Get it seen to now, while the camera is still supported. I waited too long to send in my *ist-DL, only to be told they no longer had the necessary parts. FWIW, I found that Ricoh Canada's consumer interface was pretty good - they were reasonably fast getting back to me with the bad news, and they did so as a communication from an actual technician who was willing to discuss the details of the problem rather than just an auto-reply from an unmonitored address.
Luckily I'm still under warranty so I should send it in soon

This is going to be a hard time without my camera while it is being repaired
03-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Believe me, is harder when this happens and you must pay for a well recorded problem in this line of cameras K30/50...

03-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

You need to look at this in a positive light. Now you have a reason (Okay, so there's a fine line between "reason" and "rationalization") to buy a K-3/K-3II or, if the timing works out, a K-1.

KIDS! Seeesh. They can never see the big picture.
03-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Now you have a reason (Okay, so there's a fine line between "reason" and "rationalization") to buy a K-3/K-3II or, if the timing works out, a K-1.
But not the money...
03-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But not the money...
Oh, well, there is that.
03-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I'm sure you can afford a full-frame Pentax camera, bertwert... just not the digital variety. Put a few zeroes after the K and the one, and you can take a couple of zeroes off the end of the price...
03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Oh I'm sure you can afford a full-frame Pentax camera, bertwert... just not the digital variety. Put a few zeroes after the K and the one, and you can take a couple of zeroes off the end of the price...

So this only happening occasionally...
I presume this means it'll get worse over time?
03-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter

So this only happening occasionally...
I presume this means it'll get worse over time?
My K30 begins that way, one picture black the rest ok, then three pictures black, then 5-6.... Before sending the camera to repair i put optical preview on the FXbutton to "fake" an aperture movement from a shot, and i need to push and release that button for a few mminutes before the aperture start working again (i can tell when start work properly because i put an aperture like f3.5/5.6 and the lens closes the aperture up to f32 in the "bad shots", when the apwrture didnt close at that aperture i knew the camera was ready to go)
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

The silver lining is that Takumars ought still to work