Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why is it so hard?

Why is it so hard for Pentax to put in more auto focus points? It would be so much easier to focus on the eyes when you have more focus points. Nikon has models with over 50 and Canon over 100.
Anyone else have this same opinion?

Randy

03-11-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

How far off centre do you want the eyes to be? Is recomposing by an inch or two after locking focus really so hard?
03-11-2016, 06:02 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry, Randy, as a focus and recompose guy, I just need one very good AF point in the centre. It's all I want for sports, too, in AF-C.
03-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I look like to focus at points other then the center

Randy

03-11-2016, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

I focus on where I need to focus, half press the shutter, then re-aim the camera. Much easier than worrying about focus points and moving them about. I can only see a reason for multiple focus points when one is using a tripod and want to fix/lock onto a subject.

My camera is always set to use the single central focus point.
03-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I focus on where I need to focus, half press the shutter, then re-aim the camera. Much easier than worrying about focus points and moving them about. I can only see a reason for multiple focus points when one is using a tripod and want to fix/lock onto a subject.

My camera is always set to use the single central focus point.
You don't find that when you recompose that you loose the focus when you have very shallow DOF?

Randy
03-11-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I look like to focus at points other then the center
The K-3 has 26 AF points which are not in the centre. It's pretty rare when one of them isn't somewhere near your chosen focal point.
03-11-2016, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #8
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi Randy. The Ricoh/Pentax engineers seem to know what they can put into a new camera body and keep it priced competitively. 33 focus points seems ample for the majority of forum members who have been drooling over the specs of the new K1. The old saying about " you can't please all of the people all of the time " holds true.

PS. I wonder if the Nikon forum has complaints that the Canon has 100 focus points and we only have 50.

03-11-2016, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

You don't find that when you recompose that you lose the focus when you have very shallow DOF?
Sure, that can happen, but if the DoF is very shallow even a little forward/backward movement from the photographer or model will cause just as much of a problem.

Paper-thin DoF is grossly over rated in portraiture.
03-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Example of what I am talking about you couldn't hit the eyes the way the K3 I set up https://www.pinterest.com/pin/25684660351127709/
NOT my shot!
03-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It might have to do with size - on the website about the K-1 Ricoh mentioned having to redesign the auto-focus module to keep the size of the body down.
03-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Example of what I am talking about you couldn't hit the eyes the way the K3 I set up https://www.pinterest.com/pin/25684660351127709/
NOT my shot!
There's nothing there you couldn't at least approximate with a K-3 and the right lenses and lighting. How do you have it set up?
03-11-2016, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Why is it so hard for Pentax to put in more auto focus points? It would be so much easier to focus on the eyes when you have more focus points. Nikon has models with over 50 and Canon over 100.
Anyone else have this same opinion?

Randy
I use only legacy lenses which only have manual focus...I only use the center point, just to confirm that what I see really is in focus (for wide open and low-light shots) so yeah...you don't need 100+
03-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There's nothing there you couldn't at least approximate with a K-3 and the right lenses and lighting. How do you have it set up?
The last shoot I did the people where quite over sized... the focus tended to fall on their body instead of the eyes. I can't show you an example as I would be fired

Randy
03-11-2016, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

If the focus is falling on the body it sounds like the problem is not manually choosing the best focusing patch. Yesterday a friend was showing me how many focus points a particular Sony camera has and his demo showed me that the camera was really good at using a bunch of focus points that weren't the subject.