Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, when you convert a camera to an IR dedicated one, you need to remove the hot mirror (IR block) in front of the CCD sensor, and replace it w/ an IR filter (similar to the one you'd use in front of a lens). This will make the camera work like a normal camera, but can only take IR photos. You can use any lens you like w/o needing another IR filter, but some lenses are prone to hotspot like some mentioned before. The kit lens is one of the best for IR. The DA21 works pretty well w/ a converted K100D but doesn't work well w/ an IR filter mounted in front (don't know why, but it's true).

If you use an IR filter in front of a lens to take IR photos, it might not be possible to take any moving subject due to the long exposure time. [/IMG]
O.k., my mistake. I did not know, that this kind of conversion can be had with Pentax. I only knew the dedicated Canon modells, with the implanted IT-filter. Very good work on your side.

regards
Ben

07-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
Great pictures - did you convert the K200D yourself, or get someone else to do it for you?
Thanks

No, I didn't convert the camera myself, but my buddy friend did And it's a K100D, not K200d My friend has been doing this for a couple of years now, he's successfully converted Ds/DL/K100D and K100D Super. Some forum friends here got the same converted cameras from him too. He's also converted several Nikon D70 cameras ...
07-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
O.k., my mistake. I did not know, that this kind of conversion can be had with Pentax. I only knew the dedicated Canon modells, with the implanted IT-filter. Very good work on your side.

regards
Ben
I got the converted K100D from my friend in China. He's converted quite a number of Pentax dSLR cameras, and several Nikon D70. He also tried w/ Canon 350D. From his experience, Pentax cameras are the easiest one to do conversion
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the converted K100D from my friend in China. He's converted quite a number of Pentax dSLR cameras, and several Nikon D70. He also tried w/ Canon 350D. From his experience, Pentax cameras are the easiest one to do conversion
That is interesting news, because the only camera I know off, which was officially converted was the Canon EOS 20D astro. I think to faintly remember that there also was an EOS 400 astro modell, but am unsure. Also you could buy complete conversion kits including replacement filters for the EOS modells from Baader Planetarium. I have never seen anybody before offering such a service for Pentax.

Ben

07-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
That is interesting news, because the only camera I know off, which was officially converted was the Canon EOS 20D astro. I think to faintly remember that there also was an EOS 400 astro modell, but am unsure. Also you could buy complete conversion kits including replacement filters for the EOS modells from Baader Planetarium. I have never seen anybody before offering such a service for Pentax.

Ben
Actually most Canon dSLR camemras can be converted. Here at MaxMax you can find their list: IR Conversions
No Pentax though, and their price is just way too much imo.

One good thing about our D/DL/DS/K100D or even K10D for conversion is that we can adjust AF in debug mode after conversion, so the camera's AF will work properly for IR photos. As far as I know, most Canon conversions can't do AF adjustment. You have to use MF if you wanna get sharp results.
07-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Frank, now your friend is converting K10D to IR? Very interesting. What does that cost if a K10D is supplied? Does the SR still function? Shouldn't have looked at this thread!
thanks
barondla ( still loving that A*200 macro)

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 IN P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
07-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Frank, now your friend is converting K10D to IR? Very interesting. What does that cost if a K10D is supplied? Does the SR still function? Shouldn't have looked at this thread!
thanks
barondla ( still loving that A*200 macro)

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 IN P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
Well, he never converted any K10D yet, but since some guy cracked the debug mode for K10D w/ firmware v1.3, we can do AF adjustment very easily after the conversion. So I guess he'd be able to do the conversion and AF adjustment too. But the problem is, if he opens up the K10D, he can't restore the weather seals properly. That's the main reason that he hasn't converted any K10D yet. Actually for IR, a Ds or K100D is more than enough, don't really need a K10D. Why not just sell the K10D and buy a used K100D to get it converted? Or better yet, why not just get a converted K100D directly from him

From him, the cost for conversion (of any dSLR camera) is $250USD which includes return shipping cost, but you need to send the camera to him on your own. And yes, SR works well w/ IR photos too.

Glad to know you still love the A*200 macro

Cheers!
07-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #23

Original Poster
... but since some guy cracked the debug mode for K10D w/ firmware v1.3, ...
Can you tell me more about the debug mode?

02-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have both the Hoya and the opteka R72 filters. am into IR photos. after calibrating the WB against dark leaves, the hoya has the traditional dark sky and yellow foilage but the opteka is more dramatic with the sky deep prussian blue. the opteka on pentax looks like the nikon converted cameras where the IF filter is removed and the colors are brilliant.