Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Opteka/Cokin Infrared Filters?

Opteka make an IR filter that is much cheaper than the good brands and Cokin do a resin IR filter. Has anyone tried either of them? If I was confident that I was going to do a lot of IR, I would buy a quality filter, but for occasional use, would the Opteka or Cokin do?
Opteka - Amazon.com: Opteka HD² 77mm R72 720nm Infrared X-Ray IR Filter: Camera & Photo

Cokin (seems to be out of stock) - P007 Cokin Infrared 89B Filter Series P

07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
Opteka make an IR filter that is much cheaper than the good brands and Cokin do a resin IR filter. Has anyone tried either of them? If I was confident that I was going to do a lot of IR, I would buy a quality filter, but for occasional use, would the Opteka or Cokin do?
Opteka - Amazon.com: Opteka HD² 77mm R72 720nm Infrared X-Ray IR Filter: Camera & Photo

Just get one on ebay.
Cokin Infrared 89B items on eBay.com
or Amazon:
Amazon.com: Cokin A007 Filter, A, Infrared (89B): Camera & Photo
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #3

I got a new 58mm Hoya R72 for $38 from Adorama through Amazon. Opteca is cheaper 62mm and up I think. Stick with brand name.
07-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
I got a new 58mm Hoya R72 for $38 from Adorama through Amazon. Opteca is cheaper 62mm and up I think. Stick with brand name.
I would prefer to stick with Hoya, but in 77mm they are $262.50, which is more than I want to pay for occasional use.

07-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
It's interesting that Amazon is saying that Adorama has the Cokin in stock when Adorama says it is unavailable. I am guessing that Amazon is wrong.

I looked on ebay and I could not see the Cokin in P, but I will continue looking. I did find a SUNTEC IR filter, which looks interesting.

There are also some completely non-name options

NEW 77mm IR INFRARED FILTER R72 720nm - eBay (item 250265796580 end time Jul-08-08 19:48:15 PDT)
IR infrared pass filter 850nm 77 mm for Sony H50 H9 H7 - eBay (item 380042993177 end time Jul-08-08 06:21:23 PDT)
07-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would prefer to stick with Hoya, but in 77mm they are $262.50, which is more than I want to pay for occasional use.
Wow! For that amount of money, top up abit you can get a dedicated (IR converted) Ds or even K100D already ... And it's so much easier to shoot IR w/ a converted camera.
07-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Wow! For that amount of money, top up abit you can get a dedicated (IR converted) Ds or even K100D already ... And it's so much easier to shoot IR w/ a converted camera.
That might be, but you need the filter on top! An IR converted camera is still sensitive to visual wavelengthes and these need to be blocked out by the IR-filter.

Ben
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I have the Cokin P007 (should be adequate to R72 and 89B) and the Hoya R72 lying side by side before me and the Hoya is visibly denser = is blocks more of the visible light, which is desirable. The Cokin might be more versatile, as you only need one size for many lenses, but the Hoya gives certainly a better IR performance.

Ben

07-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I have the Cokin P007 (should be adequate to R72 and 89B) and the Hoya R72 lying side by side before me and the Hoya is visibly denser = is blocks more of the visible light, which is desirable. The Cokin might be more versatile, as you only need one size for many lenses, but the Hoya gives certainly a better IR performance.

Ben
Then it sounds like the Cokin would work as a cheap alternative to the Hoya. If I do a lot of IR, then I could invest in a better filter. If I love IR, then I might consider a body for just IR ;}

Thanks!
07-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Not Registered

If you are looking after a 77mm filter make sure that the lens harbouring the filter is well suited for IR photography. Not all lenses works equally well for IR photography.
07-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #11

i know someone who can ship you a 77mm r72 hoya filter for i think $125ish, let me know if you're interested
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
If you are looking after a 77mm filter make sure that the lens harbouring the filter is well suited for IR photography. Not all lenses works equally well for IR photography.
I did not know that. What should I look for in an IR lens? I know that an apochromatic (SP?) lens should reduce or remove the focusing difference between IR and visible, but what other differences should I look for?
07-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Not Registered

looks like some lenses have "hot spots" and/or inconsistent IQ. It might have something to do with the lens design or maybe the coating thought I am not expert at this. I found (and lost) recently a webpage with a list of lenses that were OK for IR and other that presented problems. THe kit lens and the old takumars were among the best. I have used the kit lens and I must say that It worked out quite well with an infrared filter. It might be a good idea to post a thread in the pentax knowledge subforum so the people could post their experiences.
07-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
That might be, but you need the filter on top! An IR converted camera is still sensitive to visual wavelengthes and these need to be blocked out by the IR-filter.

Ben
Well, when you convert a camera to an IR dedicated one, you need to remove the hot mirror (IR block) in front of the CCD sensor, and replace it w/ an IR filter (similar to the one you'd use in front of a lens). This will make the camera work like a normal camera, but can only take IR photos. You can use any lens you like w/o needing another IR filter, but some lenses are prone to hotspot like some mentioned before. The kit lens is one of the best for IR. The DA21 works pretty well w/ a converted K100D but doesn't work well w/ an IR filter mounted in front (don't know why, but it's true).

If you use an IR filter in front of a lens to take IR photos, it might not be possible to take any moving subject due to the long exposure time. But w/ a converted IR camera, you can take photos like these very easily:

07-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The DA21 works pretty well w/ a converted K100D
Great pictures - did you convert the K200D yourself, or get someone else to do it for you?