Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #1

What next for my K100d

Since it's my birthday my wife wants to buy me something for my K100d. Budget is around $300, so I am thinking flash or lens. I already have the kit 18-55 and a 50-200 mm lens. I was thinking I would like the 540 flash but have been reading a few bad reviews about a pin breaking off. I have also been thinking wide angle lens.
I am a newbie looking for suggestions from those more experienced than I for the $300 addition for my new hobby. I now take mostly outdoor or travel photos but at some point in time I want to start taking interior shots.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

07-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a flash before stocking up on the different lenses.
Although I won't recommend which one to buy.

I just found that it opened up a world of creativity when I got one.

Make sure that you can fire it as a remote slave, then you can use it as a remote flash. The pop-up should trigger it
07-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

In the $300 range I would highly recommend the FA 50mm f1.4 or the DA 40mm f2.8 limited lens. You could also pick up a reflector set to go with it! This would provide you with at least one fast lens for indoor or low light use, and a great portrait type lens. The reflectors would also allow for some creative use of "available" light. I have the FA 50mm 1.4 and like it very much, though Ive been looking at the 40mm limited as of late too! Hope that helps!
07-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I would look at the Sigma 530 flash if I were you. Your lenses have you covered for general focal lengths.

07-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I would look at the Sigma 530 flash if I were you. Your lenses have you covered for general focal lengths.
This flash can be easily set up as that wireless remote unit

I have the 500 model, which is essentially the same, and I use it as a slave with the K100D although mine's actually made for another model.
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I will make a decision soon.
07-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd recommend an M42 adapter (about $30) and with the remainder you can buy probably 4 or 5 very nice Takumar prime lenses.

But I am biased.

07-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I doubt if K100D can do wireless flash.
07-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #9

It's always good to have a robust flash unit. I wouldn't know what to recommend though.

The only expensive addition I've purchased for my K100D was the DA 16-45 mm. $299 after rebate. It's bigger and heavier than the kit lens, but I like it for the 24 mm field of view, but you need an external flash if used at full wide angle because the lens barrel shades the camera's onboard flash.
07-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter

FA50 f1.4

It is an amazing lens. Even as your kit matures, you'll still use and keep this lens.

Or get the Takumar version with a bundle of other lenses.
07-12-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
I doubt if K100D can do wireless flash.
I believe the preflash of built in unit will trigger the other unit...
07-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have the Sigma DF530DG and it does trigger wirelessly with the on camera flash from both my k100D and K20D.....works great.

John
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Sigma EF500 DG Super does trigger remotely as a simple slave, fired by the K100D popup flash but there's a catch! First, it can only fire in a fixed power mode (no P-TTL), and secondly, the popup flash can't ever fire on the K100D without a pre-flash (not the red-eye mode), so that means the poor old hard-worked Sigma has to fire twice in quick succesion with the camera only 'seeing' the second flash for image illumination. Now, it's actually capable of firing twice but obviously won't be able to recycle in approx 100 milliseconds (pre-flash to main flash time), so it will only work in reduced power settings, mine only works reliably at 1/4 power or less.

Now, stick the Sigma on the K100D hot shoe and you can have a single flash in the Sigma's M mode and it can trigger other simple flashes fine if they have an optical trigger or if one is added (very cheap). No P-TTL though, but full power will be available if needed.
07-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with all the suggestions. When I got a flash it did open a whole world of new photography and not just in some dark room, outside in daylight as well. And bouncing a flash off the ceiling is just awesome compared to the direct harsh light of the built in strobe. But you may have some LBA as well. If you get the Pentax AF360 its a good flash for the money I have seen it at $180; its IMO all the flash you need to start with and last you awhile, and you will have some money left over to go on eBay and get yourself a 50mm f1.7/1.4. And then you will have the whole kit, all that's needed but maybe a tripod or two one for your camera another to hold the flash when you want to use it off the camera. And BTW if your camera does not do wireless P-TTL I would also look at others at that price you may get more power for the same money if you dont need the full wireless P-TTL that the AF360 has.
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's my suggestion for how to get the absolute most bang for the buck out of your $300...

1. Flash--since you're just getting started, you don't need anything fancy. I have the Sunpak 383 flash and if you're OK in using it with the camera in manual mode, then it should work just fine. Your cost: $90.
Sunpak | 383 Super Auto Flash | 0383 | B&H Photo Video

2. Tripod--everybody needs a decent tripod and here's a good one that won't break the bank. Your cost: $130.
Bogen / Manfrotto | 190XDB Tripod Legs (Black) | 190XDB-F,484RC2

At this point, you'll have $80 left over (not counting shipping) which will be just about enough for...

3. A-50/1.7 lens.

See, I just spend your $300 for you.

Some other things you might consider, as well, if you don't already have them...
*A decent post-processing program--Photoshop Elements runs under $100.
*If you're interested in doing any close-ups at all, one of the Raynox close-up attachments that could fit on either one of the lenses you have already...
Raynox | DCR-150, 1.5x Macro Lens | DCR150 | B&H Photo Video
Raynox | DCR-250, 2.5x Super Macro Lens | DCR250 | B&H Photo
*Another memory card or 2
*Another set of rechargable batteries (you'll need some to power the flash, anyhow)

HTH,
Heather