Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have my old K-5 with a DA 16-85 in the car most of the time.

03-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I aways take the risk of leaving a good camera and a couple of good lenses in the car, for spontaneous opportunities.

In the summer months, they're in one of those insulated freezer boxes.

Thieves, forget I said any of that! ☺
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In the summer months, they're in one of those insulated freezer boxes.
That is a good idea! I throw camera holster on the floor boards in the rear and it's not very noticeable, or in the trunk, behind the spare and under the oil rags.
03-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The heat in the summer months and the extreme cold in the winter makes leaving one of my DSLR's in the car all the time impractical. Yeah, I have used a cooler but for daily snapshots, my iPhone is adequate.

03-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Over the years, I've accumulated several different camera bags.... of all sizes and shapes. Some are good, some are great and some are ridiculous. But, the one I keep packed for my "Grab & Go" kit is this one. It's made by Promaster and it's one of the handiest things I've ever seen. Plenty of room for a K-50 with an 18-55mm attached, three other lenses of differing FL's, spare batteries, various filters and even an elastic draw-string for a soft hand towel for those times when you can really use one. It has two zippered compartments, one on each side, a fold down "hidden" compartment inside and a small zippered compartment on the lid. Plus, I really like the back-pack style straps and the single handle on top for easy carry. It's nice and soft inside with lots of thick padding on the outside, too. This is the best I've personally ever owned and it suits me to a T.

How 'bout this..... I found one almost identical to it on eBay for $39.00. Well worth the money.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROMASTER-DIGITAL-ELITE-SLING-PACK-BLACK-4732/221985...3D371021352015

Last edited by Dewman; 08-05-2017 at 04:10 PM.
03-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I carry a back pack with me everyday. I work outside most of the time and can catch a few shots during the day. I stop at a local wetlands everyday and spends 30 minutes to a hour taking photos.
03-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I usually have a camera with when ever I leave the house still looking for that perfect shot. I have an 18-250 Sigma or a 18-135 one of my bodies always when I leave home.
03-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Not me. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, too easy to break into. And I would never leave a camera in any kind of car during summertime heat.
So do I but the K3 and bag come with me, everywhere. I don't leave it in the Jeep. Although oddly women are afraid of the fake big rat I leave in a visible area on the seat....

03-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

In Monterrey (Mexico) summer bring +45C... I dont leave gear on my car, only my cellphone, DSLR only come with me when i know i gonna use it
03-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Not all of the time. Would love to, but can't take the camera into some outings I have and I won't leave it in the car. We don't usually have a bit heat problem but leaving it in the car is just asking for it to be stolen.
03-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I always carry my 'old' K-5 with my DA21mm with me in a small camerabag inside my backpack. If I don't take the backpack out of the car I can attatch the camerabag to my belt.
03-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #27
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
As with photolady95, I keep a backpack that's always ready to go and it leaves the house with me, even for a quick milk run.

I never leave gear in the car, don't want it to suffer changes in humidity and freeze/thaw.
This is exactly why I don't keep a camera in my glovebox... too concerned about humidity and heat. And a DSLR is rather large to just keep in a bag with me... esp if I'm going to work.

I think maybe this is where a GR or small compact would work well. Not the best IQ but between no picture and a picture I suppose a picture wins.
03-14-2016, 04:15 AM   #28

This thread is not about bags but I still.... just a short comment to Dewman's recommendation.
The bag you recommend is most probably produced by a factory in Guandong Province, southern China. It has been on the market for approx 10 years. I got a black version as a gift when I purchased my K10d at Wing Shing Photo Supplies, Hong Kong in 2007. Like you I agree; small, handy and perfect for travelling....

Two years ago I found it at a fair in Guangzhou, China. The price was 10 - 12 USD, FOB (free on board) - depending on the quantity. I purchased a blue sample for 150 Yuan (approx 20 USD). Funny to see that the price is quadrupled by shipping it across the Pacific and putting a brand label at the front.

Both Wing Shing and their main competitors still have this model. Price 190-200 HK$. (25 USD).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Dabola; 03-14-2016 at 04:29 AM.
03-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I never leave a camera (especially lenses) in a car. The interior temperature of a car easily rises to 150 in the sun, which can ruin lens aperture blades. I do, however, carry an MX-1 in my briefcase at all times. Before that I carried a Q. My biggest problem is remembering to charge the battery.
I'll leave one in bag in my car in cooler weather, but not summer. A few years ago I forgot a gps and it was fried in about thirty minutes, in the shade but it was also powered on.
03-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I certainly transport camera (and a bag of lenses etc) in my vehicles, but I never leave anything unattended. I learned a valuable and painful lesson over 40 years ago when my car was broken into in the college parking lot and a Topcon RE Super and Leica iiic were stolen.