Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
So, I've wondered over the decades about how to keep an SLR, and later a DSLR, in the car at all times. I've missed so many great shots....

Would it work to put a camera and lens in a temperature/humidity resistant case (as small as possible), put that on the floor of the car, and cover it with a disgustingly dirty blanket? I could keep the battery out of the camera until needed.

Yeah, I use one of those insulated boxes sold to fishermen . If ice is poured into it, for example, there will still be some unmelted cubes the next day. I put the reflective cover on top, but there's no reason a crappy blanket couldn't go over that, too.

For me, the game is just to get through a day at work, which will involve external parking for hours sometimes in full shade, sometimes not.

03-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bring my camera with me everywhere I go, usually with a 400 attached. It never stays in the car though, my city use to be the car theft capital of North America
03-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kept my DSLR in the car and it was stolen - that was the K-20D in Chicago. Now summer or winter, I do not store or leave the camera in the car but carry it with me all the time. Better for quick draw photography.
Once I carried a K-5 into a K-Mart store in the Bay Area California. While coming out I was accosted by this matronly staff as if I had pocketed a K-5 from the store. I had to tell her that they do not carry Pentax cameras at all. Thanks to the Canikons.
Any way never leave a DSLR in your car in the hot summer months.
Regards.
03-17-2016, 03:38 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never leave a camera in the car at all times, however 98% of the time I have a camera with me.