Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How many of you keep a camera in your car AT ALL TIMES?

Just for the sake of keeping it more toward the DSLR arena, let's not count the little P&S cameras that most of us have in the glove box or console. I'm talking more of a "kit," that contains a DSLR and a lens or two (or three or four!) that you usually keep in your car or PU.

I try to always have either a K-x or a K-30 in a camera bag with an 18-35mm lens and one with more reach..... usually a 55-300mm or a 28-200mm of some brand.... usually a Tamron.... PLUS a spare, charged battery!

I've been caught in a situation where there was a gorgeous scene or something of extreme interest that I'd love to capture, but found myself WITHOUT a camera to do so. So, I've more or less made it a standing rule to always have this little handy "kit" aboard. The only time I will take it out is in the dead of winter when it's well below zero or in the scorching days of summer when the temperature in the shade is above 105 degrees! God only knows what it would be in the car's trunk but it surely wouldn't be good for the camera OR the lenses.

03-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any time I go somewhere my camera, and lenses go with me. I have a backpack that holds the essential lenses I use at any given time. I learned a long time ago, no photo is taken if the camera and lenses are at home.
03-13-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As with photolady95, I keep a backpack that's always ready to go and it leaves the house with me, even for a quick milk run.

I never leave gear in the car, don't want it to suffer changes in humidity and freeze/thaw.
03-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I never leave gear in the car,
What he said. I don't either, extreme heat can damage photographic gear.

03-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost always, and I often regret it if I don't.

[edit]To clarify - it's only in the car when I am. I rarely leave camera gear in the car unattended for any length of time.[/edit]

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-13-2016 at 05:53 PM.
03-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Almost always, and I often regret it if I don't.
Absolutely!

I try to always take one with me, but don't leave it in the car, we have high humidity here, even in Winter.

It seems as anytime I don't take a camera, there is something incredible that happens.
03-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not me. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, too easy to break into. And I would never leave a camera in any kind of car during summertime heat.

03-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nope. I carry my camera when I know I can go shoot pictures. If I leave my camera in my car... the first thing is the heat and humidity would kill it dead. It wouldn't last one afternoon in the Texas heat and that goes for the camera and lenses both.

When I was working I was going the exact same route to and from work every day. Sometimes leaving my house very early and getting home after dark. There was absolutely zero chance to shoot with that kind of schedule.
03-13-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It seems as anytime I don't take a camera, there is something incredible that happens.
I always say, I never see anything interesting because the camera goes everywhere with me. But the one time I don't bring it, I'll see a unicorn pissing a rainbow.
03-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Not a good idea at -30 Celsius ( -22 farenheit).........
03-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never leave a camera (especially lenses) in a car. The interior temperature of a car easily rises to 150° in the sun, which can ruin lens aperture blades. I do, however, carry an MX-1 in my briefcase at all times. Before that I carried a Q. My biggest problem is remembering to charge the battery.
03-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't keep my backpack in the car all the time. It only goes with me when I leave the house. I agree it shouldn't be there if you're not planning on going out every day.
03-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Not ALL THE TIME at the moment. However I have picked up the perfect bag that doesn't scream camera bag that I carry almost everywhere. I also use it to carry my Macbook and I cannot manage both at the same time (disability issues). So if I have a meeting I must go to and need the laptop the camera comes out. Also I have many medical appointments and I don't always bring it then. But otherwise if I am not carrying my Macbook or going to see a Dr. then do carry something with me.
03-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I learned a long time ago, no photo is taken if the camera and lenses are at home.
When I leave the house, my camera goes with me. During the week,, the best chances I have for photography are during my commute.
03-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to keep an old p&s in the glove box, but not anymore because of the extreme temps here. But I always have my phone cam or p&s with me, even during a grocery run - you never know