Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never leave my camera bag in my car for an extended time (read: overnight), but it's always near the front door so I can grab it on the way out. Most of the time, I transport it in the trunk, but if I'm driving around looking for something to shoot, I keep it on the passenger's seat, with the lid open so I can reach and grab it quickly. I never leave home without my monopod due to some hand tremors that make hand-held shots pretty much a waste of time. It also serves me well as a cane and/or walking staff when traversing uneven ground.

I've got a Pelican 1550 that I fill up when taking an extended trip. I can get somewhere around 20 lenses in there and if I can't find SOMETHING in that mess that will do the job at hand, then I need to find another hobby!

I DO keep my Olympus P&S in the console all the time. It hasn't suffered any ill effects from riding there for over 7 years..... winter & summer. I just feel naked if I don't have at least ONE method of capturing an event. You just never know.

03-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I never leave a camera (especially lenses) in a car. The interior temperature of a car easily rises to 150° in the sun, which can ruin lens aperture blades. I do, however, carry an MX-1 in my briefcase at all times. Before that I carried a Q. My biggest problem is remembering to charge the battery.
^^This except for I have a purse/backpack.
03-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I left a camera in my car there would be battery issues. I almost always have the K-3 in the car, so a smaller format camera would sit their for months without being used. In fact I rarely use my phone as a camera for the same reason. But I almost always have two or three cameras with me, sometimes four or 5 if you count my phone.
03-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

. But I almost always have two or three cameras with me, sometimes four or 5 if you count my phone.

Ain't nothin' gonna' get past Norm! You 'da man!

03-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I'm totally paranoid about missing a shot. I like to have the long lens on the K-3, the 18-135 on the K-5, on the car seat.. The 40XS or 21 ltd. on the K-01 in the camera bag, a phone in my pocket, and sometimes the Optio 90W in the other pocket.

I keep thinking I'd like to sell some stuff, but I rarely do, if I have all these bodies in the house, they may as well be used. No sense having them and just leaving them in the cupboard.

Every time I miss a great candid because I wasn't ready, it gets worse.

The worst is when I get in the supermarket and can't remember if I locked the car, I almost always have but you still have the thought "what if I didn't.". There's probably two or 3 K worth of camera gear sitting on the seat. Not in plain view of course, but still....

Last edited by normhead; 03-14-2016 at 10:10 AM.
03-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Car problems or camera

Riding through the Rocky Mountains on curving bumpy roads I kept hearing a strange noise coming from what I thought was the transmission or drive shaft. I was hearing this noise around bends and bumps, Every time I stopped to investigate the noise went away, Well I finally noticed my ks2 turned on was sitting on my wife's lap. The anti shake was just doing its job on the bumpy road.
Hank
03-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm totally paranoid about missing a shot.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's OC about that issue! There have been times, especially during the late afternoon hours, when I've be driving along and see something that's just post-card beautiful.... and I DIDN'T have a camera with me! That seldom happens any more.

03-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I generally carry around a camera when I'm out and about. If I go to an event or on a trip , it's my Pentax DSLR's and specific lenses.

If I'm going about my daily business, I carry a small camera, an advanced compact.

Before I retired, I used to carry my daily carry around Olympus 35mm clamshell, in my briefcase, because, you just never know. I was pretty well retired when I got into digital cameras. In these digital days my daily carry around is a Canon G12. I carry it either in a small case that is form fitting...or in my very small, Lowepro backpack. If I'm using the Lowepro I also carry my Canon 430 EX ll flashgun.

When I stop, to run into a store, I always do a quick and what I hope is an unobtrusive look around for potential miscreants and if no one is checking me out, I quickly put the camera stuff in the car trunk. I have a small cooler chest in the trunk for the camera...don't want it getting hot in our steamy summer.

When traveling in the car, I always...always...buckle the equipment in with a seat belt. Back in the 1970's I learned the hard way, when I didn't secure my camera equipment in a car.
03-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
I certainly transport camera (and a bag of lenses etc) in my vehicles, but I never leave anything unattended. I learned a valuable and painful lesson over 40 years ago when my car was broken into in the college parking lot and a Topcon RE Super and Leica iiic were stolen.
And that is the reason I won't keep a bag in my car with multiple items in it. It is portable for the owner and the thief.

That said, if they tried to sell any of my gear locally, it would be pretty obvious it is mine -- I've yet to see or meet another person with a Pentax camera locally. haha (Plus I have all the serial numbers recorded and my gear photographed)
03-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

i honestly dont understand people who keep anything valuable in their cars.
since i work for the bank, i get this often where people leave their wallets in their cars, and then are surprised that someone broke into the car and got their wallet.
same goes for people leaving their instruments, laptops, or anything of value.

i usually carry my camera with me whenever i'm going to work in my non-camera-looking-bag. as such, its usually with me wherever i go.

and since i dont trust my car (or any car for that matter), if the camera is with me, it goes with me EVERYWHERE!
03-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The heat in the summer months and the extreme cold in the winter makes leaving one of my DSLR's in the car all the time impractical. Yeah, I have used a cooler but for daily snapshots, my iPhone is adequate.
I agree, I'd never leave one of my cameras in the car year around. That's the main reason I just got a Pentax Q from another member here. It's small size means it can go everywhere with me.
03-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I keep at least one DSLR on me pretty much all the time... much like Linus and his blanket, there's me and my camera. It's always a shoulder bag, and either a small one-slot Case Logic bag or a slightly larger Nova 2 with either one DSLR and larger lens, or a DSLR and a film unit both with smaller lenses attached. I usually don't carry extra lenses, since changing them on the go is such a pain. Since I'm half-way to half-way through a Project 366 mission this year, it's nice to automatically bring them with me everywhere, but honestly I've been carrying them around with me for a few years, and I need no excuse.
03-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #43
Pentaxian

One of the members of my camera club asked a guest speaker, "What's the best way to find really good photos?" The speaker thought for a second, then said, "Leave your camera at home. You'll see great shots everywhere." I don't carry a camera everywhere, but darned close. I bring my Q or K-01 to work every day...and depending upon what I'm going to be doing while I'm out running around on the weekends, I'll often throw a small kit in "just in case".
03-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
How many of you keep a camera in your car AT ALL TIMES?
Never in the car... mine are never more than ten feet or so away.
03-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, I've wondered over the decades about how to keep an SLR, and later a DSLR, in the car at all times. I've missed so many great shots....

Would it work to put a camera and lens in a temperature/humidity resistant case (as small as possible), put that on the floor of the car, and cover it with a disgustingly dirty blanket? I could keep the battery out of the camera until needed.