Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Question about the number assigned to jpeg & RAW files

Somehow the digital cameras assign a number to a jpeg & RAW image. In the Pentax brand, what happens if & when the number is above 'jpeg.9999'? Will that happen? What determines the number anyhow? Random selection? Wondering this in case in a SD card the number would be the same as one on file. Does the camera have a memory of numbers used? Would different Pentax models clash? thanks

03-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It wraps back around to 0001 then keeps going up sequentially.

The number is determined by the highest file number in the current folder. Thus, if the camera was currently at 0010.JPG and you renamed that file to 0100.JPG using your PC, the next file would become 0101.JPG instead of 0011.JPG.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax by default use the prefix IMGP.
When the camera gets to IMGP 9999 the next number assigned will be IMGP 0001
This means that duplicate numbers will be produced by the camera and old files will be overwritten unless you take precautions.
The default prefix can be changed in the camera's menu.

I changed the prefix to K5__ (double underscore) which meant the first image produced was K5__0001
When the camera got to 9999 I changed it to K5_1 which gave me a next number of K5_10001

(That was the theory anyway - in practice the numbers clicked over during a days shooting and I changed a few numbers when downloading to my PC)

The numbering works the same whether you are recording in RAW or JPG.
When I have processed images, I export from Lightroom as (for example) "K5_12345 bridge over Derwent River"
This means that I can always find the RAW file to reprocess if necessary.
The RAW files I keep in a separate folder, (obviously in numerical order)
03-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really wish Pentax made the number of digits selectable, as in a file name pattern - filling the remaining space with digits. It is a hassle to have to think of renaming your prefix close to 10000 exposures if you want globally unique names. Using 2 digits camera prefix would leave room for 1 Million exposures, likely exceeding the projected camera life. Of course you can create uniqueness by e.g. attaching a date, but I'd prefer an in-camera solution to avoid this extra step.

Other firmware update suggestion?