Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any time you have a light source in the frame, a polarizer is a good idea. I've used the rotating polarizers many times to reduce flare in sunsets etc.

Listen, I'm out of here, I've said what I want to say let it stand. There is more than one way of thinking about this. I know you guys think you're right, but if you have to go to a candlelit 3200 ISO image to make a case for not using filters... really? OK, next time i shoot that, I'll try taking the filter off. How many times would that have made a difference int he last 20 years of my life?

Zero, nada, zilch, nul set, hasn't happened. But thanks for the example, I'm sure it will be useful for some people.

03-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anyone have an actual test to find out how many lw/ph a UV filter costs you or is this a wive's tale? I hate advice without numbers.
I have no test, no scientific credentials, and nothing but my eyes to make any judgments. 99.9% of what I shoot with the Bigma is with a relatively cheap UV filter just to protect the front glass, and 99.9% are shot through double pane glass...that I only clean every few months.

All I can say is it works for me well enough. Would it be better in the naked open air with no filter or no window panes? I would guess it might have to, but for web posting I don't think it would make a significant difference...and I have tried it both ways.

Most all of these are through the double pane windows......the bad shots have little or nothing to do with the windows.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781/page2

I also have a huge gallery at Flickr full of squirrels shot the same way...but since all squirrel shots are perfect no matter how shot, it wouldn't be a valid testing site.

Regards! that's my .2 cents, for what it's worth????
03-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #78
Pentaxian

The biggest factor in many of these so called tests, is that the tester knows which is which and see what he/she needs to to support the conclusion they came to. I have no doubt that filter can cause issues. I also know it's so rare they have any affect at all, that you an safely look at options like UV filters as lens protectors without much penalty. Every one hs to decide for themselves what's worth it. The trade off is the .001% of images that are ruined by the filter, or the .001% chance of sticking your finger into your lens and changing the optical characteristics of the lens while cleaning. Pictures are cheap. Lenses are expensive. make sure you take that in to account when weighing your options.

I have not one image I can't enjoy because of optical degradation caused by filters. So for me it's moot point.