Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Do any of u have experience using infra-red filters?

Are infra-red filters doable with our DSLR cameras? I'm always interested in creating special effects, usually without post production. I would like to know if any infra-red filters can be used with our modern DSLR's. I know there is some graduation in these filters, numbered according to certain light rays of the invisible to humans. Anyone have anything? thanks.

03-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of posts here about that. The easiest and cheapest filter to try is the Hoya R72. It has a cut off of 720nm, just allowing a very small amount of red in easily eliminated in post processing or used for channel swapping. Because the IR filter in front of the sensor, longer exposures are needed. Use a tripod and cable release.

If you are going to use live view on the back screen for focus, you are good to go. However the image might be dim. If you are going focus thru the eyepiece, focus, then put on the filter, then turn back the focus toward closest focus a bit, then expose.

Here is a thread with my most recent IR outing using a 720nm cutoff filter with my K10.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/300428-landscape-infr...ml#post3323267
03-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

Yes, they work, but you will need a good one for an un-modified camera, and regardless you will need to use LV to focus. You're going to have to play around with it to get good exposure, and you want to use a les that doesn't "hot spot" or else you will burn out highlights.

I did it with my old K5 before I bought a K-01 and had it modified to do full spectrum. Now IR is easy.
02-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had some good results with older digital cameras (a Fuji bridge camera and a Nikon D50) using a 720nm filter - it's my impression that the more recent cameras seem to be better at blocking out anything outside the visible spectrum, they improved the internal "hot mirror filter". The bridge camera is obviously much easier to use because you're looking at an LCD screen, not TTL with your eye.

There's a slideshow of several images I made with a Nikon D50 and 720nm filter here - I was trying for a striking image rather than getting rid of all traces of visible light. There are three versions of each image - the original (reduced to 800 x 600), a version with colour equalisation, and a monochrome version. Usually the monochrome version was the most striking. Infrared Slideshow Slideshow by MarcusRowland | Photobucket

Fuji S5700, 720nm filter (red not filtered out)

If you want to work completely outside the visible spectrum you really need a modified camera or one of the few cameras that for one reason or another handles infra-fed differently. The most readily available are really old Sony digital cameras with a special mode called "nightshot" that moves the night vision filter out of the way mechanically and switches on an IR LED so you can take pictures (monochrome) in apparent darkness. It's intended for wildlife photography and is a pain to work in daylight because shutter speed and aperture are fixed. But I've used one of them with a 950nm filter and got some interesting results.

Night-Shot Image with Sony Cybershot DSC-VI, 950nm filter, and variable density filter for exposure control.