Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #1

Calibration: Huey or Spyder?

I see there is Spyder 3 now.
Anybody had chance to compare Huey and any model from Spyder series?
Which one to buy?

07-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
I see there is Spyder 3 now.
Anybody had chance to compare Huey and any model from Spyder series?
Which one to buy?
Accessories - ColorVision Spyder2express monitor display calibrator review - Digital Photography Now
07-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
I think this is best bet right now
Amazon.com: ColorVision S3P100 Spyder3 pro: Electronics
07-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been thinking of getting the Spyder3 as well. They finally put out specs on it (previously only the Optix XR had published specs).

That said, the Huey's software is extremely friendly and easy to use...I have a friend w/ one and he loves it.

07-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a new player in that segment. It's the Color Munki. Unlike the other devices, you can use it to calibrate both the monitor AND the printer. Worth looking into.
07-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks flyer, I just looked it up - sounds very promising except for the price...
It would be really nice if someone could post hands on experience with this new calibrator.
07-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

A friend of mine lent me his Spyder 2. I was convinced immediately and ordered the Spyder 3 on the same day (the Spyder 2 is no longer available). The price has come down considerably, it's easy to use and with practice, very quick.

If you have a dual monitor system under Windows, you should use the "Microsoft Dual Monitor Manager". It is a free download and enables you to use a different profile for each monitor.
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm using the huey PRO personally and it works great for me! It's nice and compact and as such fits in my laptop bag easily too. Interface is super easy and calibration nice and quick. Also, it sits next to your computer while your work and continuously adapts the screen to the environment lighting.

Only minor point is the marks its suction cups leave on the screen, so it needs to be cleaned more often...

Well, I like it.

Wim

PS: Color Munki seems to be by Pantone too (same as huey), but it looks a lot more expensive.

07-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
That would be because of its ability to profile screen, printer and projector, as well as take direct color sample scan and monitor ambient light (like Huey).
Whats bugging me about Munki (aside from price) is that user reviews are very ambiguous. For some people it works flawlessly and for some its totaly off.
07-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Each calibrator seems to have some small set of users who's calibration is totally off. I'm not sure if this is because of bad hardware or what :-P

Thanks for the colormunki tip, flyer. That actually looks promising. I've wanted a i1 spectrophotometer for a while now...they're more accurate than colorimeters like the Spyder/Huey and can be used for printer profiling. I emailed x-rite to see how accurate it is compared to the i1.
07-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi,

As anyone tried ColorVision Spyder3 on Mac ?

I have a Mac Mini with a Dell 24 inches, and it look a bargain for accurate calibration.

Regards,