Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The next odd number in the sequence is -1, and as we all know, Pentax Is Doomed (TM), or in the vernacular - rooted.

So perhaps the next model should be the K-i

It's complex, I imagine.
Actually, they've been using negative numbers all along, trending upward!! After K-1, it'll be K1.

03-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Roman numerals?
03-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess they could go to characters next....
  • K-知りません

03-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Just thought that future APSC models (like the successor of K3) can start to take the M prefix instead, like the old MX line, since they both share the smaller size factor trait? The. It won't confuse with the K flagship FF line.
I think that would just confuse the issue -- "K" and "M" have specific meanings already.

[And "K" and "M" are sometimes already misapplied already, too.]

I don't think that "FF" and "APS-C" (or even "cropped sensor") are overly difficult to use.

I guess it would be nice to have "shorter" abbreviations. Maybe just "FF" and "CF" (for cropped frames")...?

03-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

From a marketing perspective, it would be helpful to consumers if a decision was made to provide some consistency. More or less, Canon uses three numbers for their low-end stuff, two numbers for mid-grade, and single numbers for premium; similarly Nikon goes from 3 to 5 to 7 series up the scale (although they seem to be breaking away from that now). At the same time, a company like Pentax has limited opportunity to catch consumers' attention, so it can least afford causing confusion.

The failure isn't just perceived. Look at how many people here fail to put a hyphen in the name of models that actually do have hyphens. And why do we have hyphens - seems outdated. Heck, I owned a K-30 and pretty much assumed that it was named K30 because, well, that is what is boldly printed on the upper-right of the very front of the body. Turns out that it is a K-30. Someone in the instruction manual-writing department was not happy about the situation. All the diagrams in the manual simply have that front logo removed. The hope, apparently, was to avoid confusion. Nice try.
03-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Pentax is the poor man's leica...
Pentax M9...
We can have an M9. Leica recently released their Q: