Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #61
Pentaxian

For most of the time in daylight outside or inside, with the camera almost always hand-held, my personal preference is Av Mode and Auto ISO up to 3200, with Aperture controlled by the rear dial and Exposure Compensation by the front dial. Other than a few situations when a particular shutter speed is desirable, e.g. to freeze or blur subject movement for creativity, the SR and ISO response of the recent Pentax sensor systems are usually good enough for me not to be bothered about letting the camera take control of the Tv and Sv. I find EC by the front dial is just simple and convenient.

Philip

12-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TAv forever!

TAv enables on-the-fly decisions about shutter speed vs depth of field vs noise (ISO), all depending on the various and many subjects that present themselves whilst travelling - once your fingers know which directions to turn the wheel = maximum flexibility without too much fuss
And reduces the "hurry up, surely you have taken enough photos, it's time to get back on the bus" messages

---------- Post added 12-29-16 at 06:43 PM ----------

Oh, except for when a smidgen of fill-flash is needed - haven't figured this one out yet!
12-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fill flash thing I accomplish by switching from TAv to M mode and then adjusting flash comp and iso. It works fairly easily. It gets tougher the more flash you need. Then I usually use P mode.
12-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #64
Veteran Member

TAv always.

For a 175 years photography has waited for the closure of the the exposure Triad - f/stop, shutter Speed, and sensitivity.
With the coming of TAv mode that has finally been accomplished and I never use anything else. Note: I don't shoot flash.

12-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M most of the time, for everything that's not bracketing or a few other specialized situations. I bought into the "use manual if you really want to know what you're doing" bit when I first got a DSLR four years ago. And I've just kept using M most of the time. For kids sports I'll use TAv with some other custom settings in U1, otherwise I wouldn't stand a chance. Yes, I know it wouldn't hurt and might help to go with TAv or Av in some circumstances, but habits die hard.