Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #16

hello,
ive had a k20d for a while now, its never froze, i wouldnt be happy if it was and would probly send it back.
its probly a long shot but i was wondering if your using the latest firmware?

12-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Bought mine in a local store here in Norway.
FW: 1.01
S#: 2862xxx

I don't use a battery grip. Shoot in RAW. The one time I got those white pictures with a pink stripe I shot in jpg.

I'm not worried, we have extremely good consumer laws here in Norway. But if this happens more often, I will send it in for repair.
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #18

I have had a similar experience as others with the K20D freezing up. I bought my K20D on Dec 26 and the camera has frozen up each of the past three days. On the first day it was freezing up after every picture I took. If I remove the battery the camera resets itself but this is annoying and should not be happening with a brand new camera. I don't use a battery grip and I am using a Sandisk extreme SD card.
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading back over this I see that I never came back with an update.

The K20 was returned after a few weeks and the service notes with it referred to replacing an electrical component, the main board I think.

Anyway, no problems since.

My advice is that when it freezes again, do not correct it, return it to Pentax in the 'frozen' state (if possible)....ASAP. Its covered by warranty.

Cheers.

01-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #20

I took my K20 back to the store where I bought it today and they exchanged it for a new one without any hassle. Hopefully the new one won't have any problems.
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #21

k20d freezes up

If you read page 265 of the Owners Manual it tells you about static electricity effect on the k20d and this causes the problem and how to remedy it. This happened to me and I finally found this note in the Owners manual. I was nearly sending the camera to the service shop.
01-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #22

Original Poster
i'm pretty sure it was the memory card that i was using, i just bought a class 6 8g memory card for 15 bucks and haven't had any problems anymore i haven't used it a lot though so hopefully that is the problem and i fixed it
01-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hello, I had the same problem, I returned the camera to the store (online.) and got a replacement, make sure you take a photo of the serial number and warrenty card before sending it back, By the way the replacement works just fine except for other *Issues* (moving hotpixels.)

01-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #24

Hello, i had the same issue, but well last 2000 shots was maked w/out a problem.
Hope will never hangs in my hands . cheers.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/41250-k20d-hangs-u...tml#post388318
01-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #25

Same problem here with a new K20D

This is unfortunate. As I live in a small town in Alaska it is terribly inconvenient to purchase any electronics. I hope BuyDig ships replacements quickly.

Serial # 3007540 with a full charge on the battery and tested with transcend 8GB class 6 and a 4GB class 4 from DaneElec.

Funny thing is that for the first two days I had the camera I never noticed the problem because most of the time I never shut my DSLRs off. Most of them have such fantastic sleep modes I am just in the habit of leaving them on. I shut it off for the first time today and immediately saw this problem.

After extensive testing with my memory cards and typical image-taking workflow I see that it happens at least 90% of the time for me, and 100% if I've taken any images in quick succession.

I just let the thing sit for 30 minutes and the "remaining images" indicator went away and it started up again just fine. Testing again to see if that long wait before turning it back on is consistant.

Yay.
01-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Same here

Hi,ive had my K20D 8mnths approx well over 20,000 shots.Its only happened to me twice.Same story take battery out back in all good.If it was regular id take it back to get fixed.
01-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Same here

Hi,ive had my K20D 8mnths approx well over 20,000 shots.Its only happened to me twice.Same story take battery out back in all good.If it was regular id take it back to get fixed.
Thnx Paul
01-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #28

Further detail

So, I let the camera sit, turned off, with the remaining exposures displayed for 3 hours and it never went away. I decided to go to sleep and leave it and the next morning the battery was dead.

emailed BuyDig for a return authorization, and had a conversation online with Pentax support who suggested returning it to the store.

more later...
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
Forum Member

It's the SD card - I have absolutely no doubt about this - I had this problem continually with my K10D and then changed my cards to Sandisk - I have had no recurrence since with either the K10D or the K20D that I have subsequently be fortunate enough to buy.

Verbatims were the worst.
01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
It's the SD card - I have absolutely no doubt about this - I had this problem continually with my K10D and then changed my cards to Sandisk - I have had no recurrence since with either the K10D or the K20D that I have subsequently be fortunate enough to buy.

Verbatims were the worst.
I would have to totally agree about the memory card issue. Prior to ordering my K20D, I had purchased a (pos) A-Data 8GB class 6 card from supermediastore.com about a month ago for $14. Which I thought was a great deal, well long story short. The card has frozen my K20D several times to the point that I have resulted in using my older Sandisk 4GB cards, plus a newer 8GB Transcend clas 6 card - which has not frozen the camera once.

I had a portrait shoot with a private practice just yesterday and had not one problem using the Transcend card. So definitely check your SD cards.