Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #31

no joy with my transcend

My K20 will freeze on shutdown almost every time if I'm using a newer 8GB Transcend class 6 card. 100% freeze if I dare to press the shutter button more quickly than twice in about 30 seconds.

So far in my testing I will not get the freeze on turning off the camera (almost wrote computer!) only if I use the Transcend 8GB card, record only raw, and do not snap an image any faster than once every 30 seconds.

Any other combination will freeze the camera.

My next test is to determine if there is some period of time after taking multiple exposures quickly where I can turn off the camera without having it freeze. I *am* waiting for the file writes to finish during these tests.

Hey...what else have I got to do until I send it back for exchange...find out the new one has the same problem...then send *that* one back for credit toward a D300??

I just realized I have an old, slow sandisk 8GB class 2 card. I wonder if it will even *let* me take two pictures less than 30 seconds apart?? I should give it a try after work tonight.

Last edited by sarka; 01-23-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: because I'm making an inordinate amount of individual posts
01-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sarka,
Sorry to hear you are having problems, no one likes that, and I do understand the tyranny of distance you have to deal with.

I would offer the thought that it is perhaps better to get your camera repaired under warranty rather than replaced...whereby you run the risk of getting the problem again. I think you will find that they will replace the main board.

Again, in my case (as previously stated) SD cards made no difference at all, my issue was to do with powering on or off where the camera would freeze with just the battery symbol showing in the top LCD. Releasing and re-inserting the battery would fix the problem and I shot a couple of thousand shots with it like that. (NO choice, I was travelling! )

In my case I have had no issues what so ever after my camera came back the second time (first time it was returned with a mis-aligned sensor.....hopefully your technician will be be more awake & thorough than mine was ). Perhaps even include a letter with the camera stressing that you want everything checked & checked again, explaining your geographical situation. Even a reference to this site may do no harm.....no-one likes bad publicity.

Anyway, I hope that is of some help to you.
Cheers
Grant
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #33

last of the experiments, for now.

Okay, I tried my old 8GB SDHC 2 and the camera froze only about 75% of the time. Not good enough. I tried all of the same experiments with *no* memory card present and it still locked up about 50% of the time, displaying "----" on the available exposures indicator.

So I'm done generating these random data points, I'll add more after I get the thing traded or sent off to Pentax. I would be interested in hearing if others have had the problem and had it fixed.
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #34

A final comment on this problem

I think that I've decided to ignore the issue.
I probably would have never known about this problem if I stuck to my normal routine (don't turn off the camera, it does that on it's own after a present amount of time) and after my extensive series of tests I spent the day yesterday just taking pictures and the problem just doesn't manifest during my normal usage.
I've got the extended warranty, so if it gets worse I'll send it back to Pentax for repair but until then I'm just going to not worry about it and enjoy the camera

here is a link to a handful of images from my testing Pentax K20D - a set on Flickr

01-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sarka Quote
I think that I've decided to ignore the issue.
I probably would have never known about this problem if I stuck to my normal routine (don't turn off the camera, it does that on it's own after a present amount of time) and after my extensive series of tests I spent the day yesterday just taking pictures and the problem just doesn't manifest during my normal usage.
I've got the extended warranty, so if it gets worse I'll send it back to Pentax for repair but until then I'm just going to not worry about it and enjoy the camera

here is a link to a handful of images from my testing Pentax K20D - a set on Flickr
ignoring an issue isnt really a ... good idea...

usually when purchasing a product, you expect it to work in all cases - not just normal usage...

paying full price for a defunct product is less than ideal - wouldn't you think?

just my 2c
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #36

Lucky me ...

I`m a proud user of a K20D and I had no problems at all, till now.

Maybe try to take it back to the shop, or warranty service for checking.

Good luck!

The Ruins of the Premonstratensian Convent. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!