Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Repair?

Hi, I was just on DP Review and was reading a scathing review about Pentax service. A huge thread articulating just how bad service has become, and how it's effecting Pentax sales. I just bought a new Pentax K3-ll, and so far love this camera! I came from a K5 which did have problems that were corrected! Is the service really as bad as they claim? Kinda of scary to think I bought a product that may not be repairable! Also bought the Pentax extended warranty!

03-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
amp
Site Supporter

It's well documented, here at least, that there's a scarcity of official Pentax repair centers. That being said, I don't think you'll have any problem getting your camera fixed if necessary. Once again, it's all about expectations. If you expect to have your camera or lens looked at and fixed the day after sending it out, then you'll probably bash Pentax' service.
You made a good choice buying Pentax. I'm sure your camera will be repaired promptly, if the need ever arises.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-19-2016 at 07:08 AM.
03-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure anyone has good repair service. My experience with Nikon was pretty terrible. I think most people stick with a brand they know. A small percentage actually do research and comparison and maybe even smaller would take into consideration the repair service. I don't think it's affecting sales.

I also take anything on DP review with a grain of salt. It's not a site a visit, and I don't like it. Maybe because it is still using outdated black background with white text and it makes me physically nauseous to read it. It's like walking into an area with blinking flashing lights, it literally gives me a migraine. (I wonder if they they think their web deign affects their sales in any way? hmmm) Commenters are also rude and ignorant. I have tried following strings for a nugget of information about something and it's mostly photographers *ahem* comparing lens sizes.
03-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What empirical data have the posters presented to show how the service is effecting sales? How and from where was this data collected?

03-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What empirical data have the posters presented to show how the service is effecting sales? How and from where was this data collected?

That's what I was wondering!
03-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax repair went through a rough patch last fall. It seems to have improved now based on recent reports.
Part of the problem is people complaining about the service comparing it to the professional service offered by other brands. Pentax does not have that but other brands regular service is no better.
03-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax repair went through a rough patch last fall. It seems to have improved now based on recent reports.
Part of the problem is people complaining about the service comparing it to the professional service offered by other brands. Pentax does not have that but other brands regular service is no better.
That makes me feel better. Anybody care to share their personal experiences?
03-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I put this in another post and it applies here too.
I bought K-10D in 2007, K-5 in 2010 and K-3 in 2014. Still have K-5 and K-3 and gave K-10D to my son. All of them work perfectly and none needed any repairs. My only Pentax product that needed any repair was DA 70 Limited I bought used. It had sticky aperture blades and I had it repaired by Eric Hendrickson. Bottom line is that if you take reasonable care of it, Ricoh/Pentax cameras and lenses are very reliable and the odds are good that you will not encounter a repair need

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/316927-life-expe...#ixzz43N9XKGHv

03-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Here's my thread documenting my repair process a while ago (no sense in trying to rewrite the highlights):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/195350-flash-failure.html
03-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We've set up a dedicated forum with resources on warranty repairs and service providers:
Repairs and Warranty Service - PentaxForums.com

In the US, Pentax's official repair center is a bit lacking, but then again some say they do a good job. I guess it just boils down to the nature of the repair itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if a second official repair facility were added in the near future, or Ricoh were to pick a different provider.

Outside of the US things seem a bit better. There's also a relatively new policy that allows you to obtain warranty service in other countries as long as the camera/lens was originally purchased from an authorized dealer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

The problem in the US is a real one. One company does warranty repair, and if you send them a misbehaving piece of hardware there's a fair chance that when you eventually get it back there will be no evidence it had even been dealt with. To be fair, Ricoh is far from the only company who has shifted to severely limited warranty repair options and not ended up giving the user a place they could send their gear to with confidence. (IIRC, Sony cameras now must go to this same service provider) But I would say that characterizing it as a "rough patch" that happened last fall is being exceedingly generous : ) Ever since they officially went from Cris to Precision at least a year previous it's been a below standard circumstance, and I frankly haven't seen much to be encouraged about. But I'd be glad to be pointed to anything to show me to be a grouchy nattering nabob. I want the scenario to improve.
03-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
That makes me feel better. Anybody care to share their personal experiences?
hahaha.. well.. there is a huge thread on here already about Precision (that isn't entirely pretty). However, they do seem to be improving... at least from the most recent reported outcomes. But those have only been for bodies in repair. Lenses may (or may not) be another matter entirely. I don't think there are enough reports from the past couple of months to say either way (with respect to lens repairs).

Don't listen to anyone though that hasn't sent them anything. People make off the cuff comments without any experience with them because, online, its easy to chime in.

My experience with Precision was.. a frustrating 2.5 month ordeal.. as they couldn't figure out how to repair my lens and I had to keep sending it back. They did pay for subsequent shippings back to them after my initial shipping fee. But it was like pulling teeth to get them to communicate with me. The matter was finally resolved with them replacing my lens with a brand new one (though I don't think that is the norm). That worked as a solution for this unique situation, but it didn't give me the warm fuzzies about their competence to repair lenses.

There are several of those reports in the big thread here (lens repair issues @ precision)... so not just 'crazy' me with the issue. My time dealing with them was mid Nov through Jan. It seems just after that they started seemingly improving.. both in repair quality and (I think) communication. So maybe they have it down a little better? That said, they weren't ever owning a 100% failure rate on lens repairs.

I think the bigger issue isn't with Precisions potential incompetence, it's more the fact that there is a single point of failure in the service side of the business in the US. Especially if you have items still under warranty. It appears the other brands have multiple facilities from which to choose. Don't like one repair shop? Just pick another. But not so with Pentax in the USA (At least with warranty work).

Recently, it seems more repair shops have seemingly been able to get parts from Ricoh so that might be something worth researching too.
03-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if the product can't be fixed, and it's under warranty, then the manufacture should replace the unit with a new one.

Last edited by Tony3d; 03-21-2016 at 09:50 PM.
03-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The warranty states that replacement is solely at the discretion of Ricoh. However the state in which you purchased the merchandise may have their own consumer protection "lemon" laws which can override this. You would have to take that up with your state Consumer Protection agency.
03-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Well, if the product can't be fixed, and it's under warranty, then the manufacture should replace the unit with a new one.
My recent experience indicates that they are trying to improve. For instance, there is a Ricoh rep on site at Precision who handles (at least some)problems. I sent my flash in three times. The first time (July 2015) they claimed full refurbishing but it still had the original problem. The second time ((Fall 2015) they returned it quickly with a note saying they could find no problem. The third time (2016) I contacted Joe Virgil who sent me a mailing label. After the flash had been at Precision for a little over a week I was contacted by the Ricoh rep for more information about the problem which the Precision folks could not replicate. I acknowledged that the failure to fire was intermittent but happened almost every time I used the flash regardless of battery charge or recycle time allowed. They finally sent me a new flash which works perfectly. The presence and involvement of the Ricoh rep at Precision indicates to me that they are trying to get things improved. I feel better about possible future repairs.