Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Hmm lemme see....Take Sekonic L-28 selenium light meter outside with a gray card on overcast day . At 100iso it is 1/30sec @ f/5.6 ie EV10. Try Kx same result, EV10 (both +/- 0.5EV).

So, I guess that answers the question, the selenium cell has longevity with normal use. Especially since it's last manufacturing date is 1970!

Given that most of the time the cell is exposed to light for a few seconds or minutes at a time outside its case I would hardly imagine the cell would get "photon tired", even after many decades or even centuries.

Last edited by marty-0750; 03-23-2016 at 11:39 PM.
03-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just retired my *ist D, bought in the summer of 2004, because the aperture mechanism is failing. The nice gentleman at my local repair shop told me he was so very sorry, but the part is not available and manufacturers don't seem to support the equipment more than about 5 years. He made similar remarks a few months earlier regarding my Optio 550 (bought in the summer of 2003) which now doesn't retain settings between battery changes because the capacitor has died. So that's a small sample of two Pentax digital cameras, very different in type, lasting me a little less than 12 years. (Not, I suppose, a statistically useful reply.)
Of course they're "obsolete" and had been replaced by K-30 and WG-4 for most of their respective purposes, but the WG-4 doesn't have a viewfinder and the K-30 isn't compatible with my Pentax dedicated TTL flash, so there's a small loss in each case.
03-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I just retired my *ist D, bought in the summer of 2004, because the aperture mechanism is failing. The nice gentleman at my local repair shop told me he was so very sorry, but the part is not available and manufacturers don't seem to support the equipment more than about 5 years. He made similar remarks a few months earlier regarding my Optio 550 (bought in the summer of 2003) which now doesn't retain settings between battery changes because the capacitor has died. So that's a small sample of two Pentax digital cameras, very different in type, lasting me a little less than 12 years. (Not, I suppose, a statistically useful reply.)
Of course they're "obsolete" and had been replaced by K-30 and WG-4 for most of their respective purposes, but the WG-4 doesn't have a viewfinder and the K-30 isn't compatible with my Pentax dedicated TTL flash, so there's a small loss in each case.
Sell it to a Takumar enthusiast? You don't need the aperture system and the TTL might help with flash on those lenses, plus the rendering is supposed to be more film-like.
03-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I would expect in most case that a modern DSLR would last at least 5-10 if you didn't get a dud or don't use too much. If you are lucky it may last the double of that time. After that...

But does it really matter? I can get that if some manufacturer is stopping to support the mount of your lenses or something, that could be anoying. But in today environement if your old Pentax APSC camera died you can likely get a new one for less than 300$ and likely get noticable improvement too...