Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #1

K10D won't auto focus

Hi, new member here.

I purchased a K10d body along with a sigma 18-50 2.8 EX lens. It worked fine for most part, except that k10 battery indicator has been malfunction from day one. It indicated battery was full even it was about to drain out. That was annoying but not a big deal.

However, a few days ago, the camera just refused to do any auto focus, APS or APC, regardless what focus mode I select. When I pushed the shutter half way down, it goes to micro then infinity and stays there. I cleaned the contacts, charged the battery and reset, with no success. The cemera was working fine in one minute and all the sudden, it was not functioning.

Anyone has any idea what is going on? I can do manual focus fine. My feeling is Pentax focus motor circuit is faulty, maybe some components in the circuit leak charge.

This is my first Pentax and my confidence on the brand is shaking. I was about to invest more lens, now I don't know if I should continue.

Really appreciate your help!

07-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #2

Send it in for service

I had the same problem with my K10D after about 4 months of use. I simply sent it in for service and it came back working well after about 3 weeks. All costs were covered by the warranty and I just dropped it off and picked it up at the retailer where I bought the camera.

If you check out forum posts here and on dpreview you'll find more info on autofocus issues, with some advice on how to do adjustments yourself (not something I chose to try) and people discussing software updates to the camera. According to others minor autofocusing issues are equally common on Canon and Nikon.
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Mine is about 4 months old too. I just upgraded the firmware to 1.30, nothing changed. Looks like it needs a trip to Pentax service department.

Thanks, Bokonon.