Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 04:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know one thing for certain, once the kewan is in my hot little hands, it's nickname is going to be Royce.

Last edited by wizofoz; 03-21-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: dickheadedness
03-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I know one thing for certain, one the kewan is in my hot little hands, it's nickname is going to be Royce.
Roll on, Royce, I say! You'll have one before I do, I dare say. Any advance on the arrival date?
03-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Roll on, Royce, I say! You'll have one before I do, I dare say. Any advance on the arrival date?
I've never waited for something for so long...... it's quite incredible really. Anyway, one sleep at a time.....
03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #19

Have you tried the crop mode on the K-1? Not too sure when FF lenses mounted it can still enter APSC crop mode.

03-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Have you tried the crop mode on the K-1? Not too sure when FF lenses mounted it can still enter APSC crop mode.
Yes, I used crop mode with the 24-70 attached to the K-1. It works perfectly. In auto mode it obviously uses the whole frame, but if you force it to crop, that's what you get. Very handy
03-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I've never waited for something for so long.....
No (other) kids, eh? This is way too long a wait though... One sleep at a time...
03-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, I used crop mode with the 24-70 attached to the K-1. It works perfectly. In auto mode it obviously uses the whole frame, but if you force it to crop, that's what you get. Very handy
Thanks. I was wondering about this coz it crop mode you get faster frames and wider spread of AF points, this might be helpful shooting action and wildlife, and switch back to FF mode for full image quality, good to know it can be selected.

03-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I was wondering about this coz it crop mode you get faster frames and wider spread of AF points, this might be helpful shooting action and wildlife, and switch back to FF mode for full image quality, good to know it can be selected.
Yes, and you can set select Crop for the smart dial, to allow quick switching in and out of crop mode (which I also tried - works well)
03-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, and you can set select Crop for the smart dial, to allow quick switching in and out of crop mode (which I also tried - works well)
Great, thanks for testing for us, very helpful.

Haven't had the privilege to play with the K-1 yet, but To be honest, when I first saw the K-1 body shell structure and cut open pictures, I was a little worried that it seems to me that the K-1 isn't made from the full uni-body magnesium shell like the K-5/K-5II and K-3/K-3 II used to be made from. As the K-1's top plate isn't made from magnesium (I understand they did that coz it may affect GPS reception) I was thinking how will this affect the build and weather sealing? Then I had a chance to play with the D800 thoroughly and I noticed that camera also doesn't have a full uni-body magnesium shell, the front plate and some top plate is also plastic but the camera feel well built( well I feel my K-5II is slightly better build) and it in turns the weather resistance of that is fine too. I also remembered the A99 I used to own which again isn't a body with full uni-body magnesium shell and that was built well and survived rain many times and I was happy to take that outdoors many times during my ownership so I guess I was thinking a bit too much about the K-1 in this regard then.

Well, based on how Pentax usually builds cameras, the K-1 should build like a tank. They always built bodies well even from entry level model, they won't and shouldn't stuff this one up.

Last edited by ColiNiloK; 03-21-2016 at 05:26 PM.
03-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haven't had the privilege to play with the K-1 yet, but To be honest, when I first saw the K-1 body shell structure and cut open pictures(see below), I was a little worried that it seems to me that the K-1 isn't made from the full uni-body magnesium shell like the K-5/K-5II and K-3/K-3 II used to be made from. As the K-1's top plate isn't made from magnesium (I understand they did that coz it may affect GPS reception) I was thinking how will this affect the build and weather sealing?

Well, based on how Pentax usually builds cameras, the K-1 should build like a tank. They always built bodies well even from entry level model, they won't and shouldn't stuff this one up.
I wasn't aware of the change in body shell structure between the K-3 and K-1, but I assure you the K-1 feels every bit as robust - it is indeed built "like a tank". No-one will be disappointed by the build quality, I'm certain of that!
03-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know one thing for certain, once the kewan is in my hot little hands,
Eh, Noblesse Oblige?? Generosity of Spirit?? Gone??
03-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Eh, Noblesse Oblige?? Generosity of Spirit?? Gone??
it was a fleeting romantic notion Rod....
03-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it was a fleeting romantic notion
...understood, loud and clear.