Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Depleated batteries and blue cast

Hi Guys,
I have two questions. One regards the battery grip for the K3ii. Does anyone find that AA batteries die very quickly even when the camera is off. I can put a fresh set of AA's in and leave the camera in the bag and a few days later they're dead. Likewise I put a fresh set in the other day and they lasted about 5 hours. In that time I shot less that 100 images and I had wifi and gps turned off.

My second question is in regard to a a blue case that I get. Every once in a while the images from the camera will have a heavy blue case. I think the auto white balance is the issue as I noticed that the images had color temps of around 2500K. In order to correct this I've had to reset the camera to factory defaults. Haw anyone else had this issue?

03-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Butch5 Quote
Hi Guys,
I have two questions. One regards the battery grip for the K3ii. Does anyone find that AA batteries die very quickly even when the camera is off. I can put a fresh set of AA's in and leave the camera in the bag and a few days later they're dead. Likewise I put a fresh set in the other day and they lasted about 5 hours. In that time I shot less that 100 images and I had wifi and gps turned off.

My second question is in regard to a a blue case that I get. Every once in a while the images from the camera will have a heavy blue case. I think the auto white balance is the issue as I noticed that the images had color temps of around 2500K. In order to correct this I've had to reset the camera to factory defaults. Haw anyone else had this issue?
Regarding the blue cast, it's possible that the custom image profile or while balance got changed due to accidental pressing of the 4-way controller. Should be pretty easy to check based on the EXIF.

As for the AA drain, this should not be the case. Is your K-3 II from an early production batch, and if so, did you ever get it serviced?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had that happen a few times with either my K5 or K5-IIs. Since it is a very rare occurrence I ignore it. These are extremely complicated pieces of equipment and glitches just happen sometimes. It is only ever 1 image and the rest look fine.

I have never tried AA batteries in my K5, K5-iis of K3 so no help there.
03-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of AA's are you using? Alkaline batteries don't do well. For reachargeables Sanyo Eneloops have a good reputation. Energizer ultimate lithium are a good choice if you want non rechargeable batteries.

03-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regarding the blue cast, it's possible that the custom image profile or while balance got changed due to accidental pressing of the 4-way controller. Should be pretty easy to check based on the EXIF.

As for the AA drain, this should not be the case. Is your K-3 II from an early production batch, and if so, did you ever get it serviced?

I thought about the 4 way controller. I'll have to check next time it does it. I've had the camera since December and it's done it three times. My camera is a later model after the recall batch. I think the issue is the grip as the rechargeable battery in the camera lasts just fine. I've ordered another rechargeable battery and will put that in the grip and see who long it lasts. What really stumped me was that the batteries drained with camera off.

---------- Post added 03-20-2016 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
What kind of AA's are you using? Alkaline batteries don't do well. For reachargeables Sanyo Eneloops have a good reputation. Energizer ultimate lithium are a good choice if you want non rechargeable batteries.
I have been using Alkaline batteries so far. I'll have to try some lithium

---------- Post added 03-20-2016 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have had that happen a few times with either my K5 or K5-IIs. Since it is a very rare occurrence I ignore it. These are extremely complicated pieces of equipment and glitches just happen sometimes. It is only ever 1 image and the rest look fine.

I have never tried AA batteries in my K5, K5-iis of K3 so no help there.
If it was just one image I wouldn't worry about it. However, once is begins all of the images are that way. So far the only way I've found to remedy the problem is to reset to factory settings.
03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, I've gotten a second rechargeable battery and it seems to stay charged in the battery grip. It seems that it is only the alkalines that drain rapidly
03-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find that when the batteries get down, strange things start to happen. Autofocus doesn't work as well and misses become higher. Exposure seems to be off, etc.

A high quality battery will keep its stated voltage even as the capacitors start to drain. A lower quality one will fluctuate in voltage. When this happens, things don't work as they are supposed to because components are not getting their proper voltage but think they are. That can manifest itself in all sorts of strange behaviors.