Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Bonus points go to apple for advertising, but no apple will ever be more powerful or cost less than a CBB laptop.
Do not want to start a war here but I think you just forgot about one additional aspect: operating system. I work with Windows and have Mac at home. OSX is just so much more stable in my opinion. Speed is not all that matters these days. I have upgraded from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo and can hardly tell the difference.

07-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Do not want to start a war here but I think you just forgot about one additional aspect: operating system. I work with Windows and have Mac at home. OSX is just so much more stable in my opinion. Speed is not all that matters these days. I have upgraded from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo and can hardly tell the difference.
"so much more stable"

define so much more?

the only time my windows has crashed in the last 5 years was either because i contracted a serious virus or because my system overheated after 6 consecutive hours of Counter-Strike

currently i run a dual fan setup with a CPU cooler larger than the entire motherboard. My PC does not crash.

if your windows crashes, you have underlying problems, either viral, messed up registry, or faulty RAM or other hardware components.
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

The difference between a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo isn't major. Upgrade from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Duo and you'll know what I'm talking about.

My Windows hasn't crashed since I re-installed it (needed weeding out some viruses that my sister so carelessly brought into our loving home, and reinstallation was the quickest and best method). That was a looooooong time ago.

Currently I'm running a dual-boot system with Leenucz and Windows, and they both work like a treat.
07-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
define so much more?

the only time my windows has crashed in the last 5 years was either because i contracted a serious virus or because my system overheated after 6 consecutive hours of Counter-Strike
Well, there you go. I do not even have anti-virus software installed on my Mac. It is not hardware that "catches" viruses, it is OS. Plus my Mac runs 24/7 and never overheated even in the summer left for a week in apartment with the A/C turned off. And the next post stating that problems could be due to the corrupted registry, that's OS problem.

Like I said, I do not want to argue which platform is better. I just simply wrote that OS needs to be taken under consideration when building stable PC.

07-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...my Mac runs 24/7 and never overheated even in the summer left for a week in apartment with the A/C turned off.

My PC works very well within parameters. I don't know how hot it is over where you live; but my computer has kept running under maximum load (3DS Max render for 3 hours straight) in a 36 degree ambient temperature (the room was that hot!), with no problems whatsoever. So there you go.
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yeah, I just wrote that to reply to the other post. My Mac does get hot when running under max load. Sometimes so hot I can't touch it but it never shut down on me. We get 90F or sometimes more during summer days here in NJ. But I guess the biggest killer is the humidity. I hate that
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

food for thought:

Matasano Chargen Five Reasons To Ignore John Gruber’s OS X Security Punditry
07-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mac vs. PC reasons

I have seriously considered going to a Mac, but have not for one simple reason...

I cannot afford the migration!

The hardware costs substantially more and I would have to replace all of my software.

Steve

FWIW...I own two PCs and both have been stable and trouble free; my laptop for 4 years and my desktop for 7 years. (Yeah, I know...the desktop is getting a little long in the tooth. But as long as it works...)

07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That's just silly. I could link 10 similar articles here that show why you shouldn't install Windows on your computer. I did not say that OSX is perfect but definitely casual users will have less issues with it than they can encounter with Windows.
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have seriously considered going to a Mac, but have not for one simple reason...

I cannot afford the migration!
That's true. No argument here. Though I have heard many times that Pentax in camera market is sort of like Apple in computer market You initially pay maybe more but in the long run you save and still have a camera that stands out of the crowd.
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

That's just silly. I could link 10 similar articles here that show why you shouldn't install Windows on your computer. I did not say that OSX is perfect but definitely casual users will have less issues with it than they can encounter with Windows.
define casual users?

office workers doing spreadsheets in a networked office building with a nazi IT manager keeping vigilant watch over his/her servers?

i'm willing to bet money THEY wont see a single issue during their entire working careers

take the same situation but have a slob for an IT manager and you're going to have complaints through the roof.

how many banks run off Mac OSX? how many financial investment institutions run of OSX?

world market share is 6% for apple.

who uses apple?

i would think the knowledge level of computers of those that use Mac's is substantially higher than the average PC user, afterall there is a reason they went for Mac in the first place, because they did research and were lured into the Mac world.
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

i know you never wanted to start a debate, but are basing your arguments of somewhat flawed and generalized logic.

all of which can be easily refuted
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

define casual users?

office workers doing spreadsheets in a networked office building with a nazi IT manager keeping vigilant watch over his/her servers?

i'm willing to bet money THEY wont see a single issue during their entire working careers

take the same situation but have a slob for an IT manager and you're going to have complaints through the roof.

how many banks run off Mac OSX? how many financial investment institutions run of OSX?

who uses apple?

i would think the knowledge level of computers of those that use Mac's is substantially higher than the average PC user, afterall there is a reason they went for Mac in the first place, because they did research and were lured into the Mac world.
I do agree with you when we take under consideration business networks and IT personnel. But the thread started as a question about Photoshop and Lightroom for professional photographer which in my opinion would rather fall under casual computer user category and not IT professional. I doubt professional photographer has extensive knowledge of service packs, firewalls, system permissions, etc. I am in IT and photography is my hobby. If it was the other way around, I would love to have computer with less problems so I could concentrate more on my real day to day tasks as a photographer rather than worrying about viruses, spyware and other stuff.

QuoteQuote:

who uses apple?
Didn't Apple started to be preferred choice for graphic designers? So what if the Apple share is 6%? Would you based on such numbers say that nobody uses Pentax who also has marginal market share comparing to C and N? Market share percentage does not determine if product is good or not.
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

i know you never wanted to start a debate, but are basing your arguments of somewhat flawed and generalized logic.

all of which can be easily refuted
Well, you keep attacking me. I know that you can easily laugh at my arguments and I can do the same. I guess at some point we all missed the initial statement that hardware is not complete without an OS.

I have based my arguments on my personal experience. They might be different than yours but while I do not blame Windows every time it gets mentioned, I would never choose Windows machine over Mac. That's my preference. hopefully OP after reading all that will not be too confused and can benefit from this conversation.
07-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Didn't Apple started to be preferred choice for graphic designers? So what if the Apple share is 6%? Would you based on such numbers say that nobody uses Pentax who also has marginal market share comparing to C and N? Market share percentage does not determine if product is good or not.
i agree, market share does not determine quality, but that statement was used to argue the case of "the casual user" and how skewed this statistic is when you factor in how many users there are as whole.

as for being preferred choice for graphic designers, you were correct in stating that "if somebody wanted a good rig without problems etc etc"

Macs are wonderful in that they give you a very powerful machine with no software problems, along with which you also get to be part of a status group (esp with the laptops) of all things apple.

however this comes at a non metaphorical price of cold card cash.

Apple in a way then is the same as Canon and Nikon if you want to go along the Pentax analogy.

you dump a lot of money and you get wonderfull performance

but if you would have taken the time to scourage the interwebs and done research and figured out that you can actualy build an entire computer yourself! install the software yourself! and have it very powerful and very reliable, and would have spent much less money, i'm sure then that that person would have not went the apple route.