Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Apple in a way then is the same as Canon and Nikon if you want to go along the Pentax analogy.
Wasn't this the Pentax guy at one of the recent shows that stated that Pentax wants to be more like Apple when it comes to photo market? He would be so dissapointed

07-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Wasn't this the Pentax guy at one of the recent shows that stated that Pentax wants to be more like Apple when it comes to photo market? He would be so dissapointed
i would agree with him only if apple actualy cost less than the competition.

apple is not branded as an underground tool for the elite

mac's whole campaign is that its the best tool if you are a graphic designer or whatever, and it blantly sneezes on its competition with those silly commercials
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it funny to see how far off topic this thread has come. I also find it funny how passionately we defend out choices. Some people chose Pentax, some Nikon. Some chose Mac, some PC. Does it really matter what the next guy (or girl) uses? If we are happy with our choice at the end of the day then it shouldn't matter if we chose differently than someone else. It is one thing to suggest an alternative, it is entirely a different thing to choke the life out of the discussion with what amounts to nothing more than an opinion. Go take pictures.
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
mac's whole campaign is that its the best tool if you are a graphic designer or whatever, and it blantly sneezes on its competition with those silly commercials
I guess we should stop as I would have to disagree with you again

Lets just say that each platform has its advantages and disadvantages and let whoever reads this thread decide based on what we wrote.

07-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I guess we should stop as I would have to disagree with you again

Lets just say that each platform has its advantages and disadvantages and let whoever reads this thread decide based on what we wrote.
agreed,

now if only we could drink beer over the internet....
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Dan, your expertise is appreciated and thank you for sharing it. Hope I am able to reciprocate one day. (I will be taking that with me to the computer shop).

To the jnoelle...apologies for hijacking your thread, it wasn't intentional, but I hope you have learnt as much as I have.

To Drabina & Gooshin: enjoy your beer.

Cheers.
07-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so back to lightroom vs photoshop...sounds like it's just like working inside camera raw? because in cs3 you can open jpegs in camera raw through the bridge, so it sounds like lightroom might be a bit unnecessary. someone way way on page one said something about a license...for what? the software?

07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
own the software = have a license

I don't have photoshop, but did buy lightroom (thankfully student license!) but I think the main thing is that in lightroom you can easily flip through all your photos, hit a few keys, click the mouse a few times to make your adjustments.

In photoshop presumably you click "file->open" then search around a while to figure out where your photo is, then load it up, look at it, decide what you want to do, make adjustments, then save it and repeat for the next photo.
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #39

From what I have read, it appears that Lightroom's major strength is in the processing of bulk photos in situations where it would be very time consuming to process hundreds of photos one at a time. I played with it in the beta stage and found that it could do not much more than the free Picasa.

I have built many computers for friends and have five of them around the place as I write. I would buy the parts as I found them on sale and have used both Intel and AMD processors with XP Pro. These are basic machines, not state of the art, but they run Photoshop as fast as the eye can see. Any click or change is noticed instantly. I could make them for significantly less that buying one ready made, but nowadays, I can't build a computer as cheap as I can buy one unless it would be truly a stae of the art. I recently bought a Toshiba laptop for less than $450 on sale and it runs Photoshop as fast as the others with the Vista OS. If I had Mallee's computer problems I would either retire the machine or try to rebuild it by reloading the operating system from scratch. A new run-of-mill $500 desktop machine would probably be the easiest and most economical solution unless the user is heavy into playing games.

John
07-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
own the software = have a license

I don't have photoshop, but did buy lightroom (thankfully student license!) but I think the main thing is that in lightroom you can easily flip through all your photos, hit a few keys, click the mouse a few times to make your adjustments.

In photoshop presumably you click "file->open" then search around a while to figure out where your photo is, then load it up, look at it, decide what you want to do, make adjustments, then save it and repeat for the next photo.
I think the differences listed here are kind of key... I have been evaluating different Raw converters and was looking at Lightroom vs. Photoshop/ACR. Besides price, the thing that really makes Photoshop insufficient to Lightroom (if you call it that) is the DAM aspects.

The thing for me is that I already have a completely different DAM that performs better than that integrated into Lightroom at which case, Lightroom is reduced to nothing more than ACR with a different interface. This doesn't mean it is bad, but it does make it expensive for a Raw converter. I feel like I might as well spend the extra money for Photoshop just because I can have all the added features and stick to my current program for image management. These are all just my frame of thought coming from a hobbyist point of view...

At this point, as a hobbyist, Photoshop isn't that important to me. RAW processing is important as is price. That being said, I can probably get the aspects of Lightroom that I need using Photoshop Elements and ACR or I can shift to programs like Silkypix or LightZone that make excellend RAW processors that are a little more full featured than ACR. I am waiting though to see whether Lightroom 2.0 makes any vast improvements in RAW handling. I'm not in a huge hurry to make a decision as currently I use RawTherapee, which is actually a decent RAW converter that is free. There are just some great features that paid software has that I would like, like batch processing.