Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 02:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Next up from Kx

Have the Kx now since 2010, still chugging along. What might be the current model as an additional (or replacement) in the same price and feature bracket? I know there a is a camera comparison forum here....but what model models do I start with?

03-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The value of the dollar has changed a great deal since 2010. If I were you, I would be looking at what I could afford and price matching rather than capability matching. The up to date base model is probably the KS-2 right now, which is arguably more capable than the flagship K-5 I bought four years ago. The KS-1 is smaller and cheaper, I think, but is a superceded model and lacks the weather sealing of its younger brother - one of the few current Pentax bodies to lack this feature. K-30 and K-50 are capable base models, but are outdated and have been reported to have some reliability issues.(ETA with the aperture control module, which has been known to fail and shut the aperture down to whatever is minimum for the lens. Sometimes this occurs within the warranty period; sometimes not.)

Last edited by pathdoc; 03-23-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Original post interrupted - completed and clarification provided.
03-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Used K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, or new/used K-S2.

I think the K-5 series will give you a more "premium" feel, but the K-S2 can't be beat with its body design and High MP sensor. Only draw backs I see with K-s2, No Battery grip, Slower Burst, Fills up Buffer Faster than K-5, and louder shutter noise.

Other than these few draw backs, the K-s2 is a fully capable camera and I hope to buy a used one some day at a great price.
03-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

A new K-S2 or an used K50/K-30 would be an obvious step up.

The K-50/K-30 is a great value for money IMHO and would be the modern equivalent of the K-x.

My 5 cents.

03-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

I upgraded from K-x to K-30 (K-50 same camera) and it was a noticeable upgrade... but it still didn't feel right. So I upgraded again to the K-5II. The flagship models handle soo much better imo and the extra abilities (top LCD, grip support, 14-bit RAW) just make it all the more functional.

With that in mind, I'd consider a K-3 if you can fund it. K-x back in 2010 was (at least here) 500 USD. K-3 currently at around 700 USD new. If you sell the K-x that should recoup some of the difference though.

That said, if you're looking to go light and/or cheap go with a K-50 or a K-S2. They are still a decent upgrade over the trusty K-x (You'll get focus point confirmation in the viewfinder for one and a quieter shutter for two!)
03-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the K-x and K10D, and I bought the K-S2 as a replacement to both. Now, I sold the K10D but I still have the K-x. K-S2 is indeed an upgrade over the K-x on many levels - flip-out screen, better viewfinder, weather sealing, more user Control with more buttons, two e-dials instead of one, more advanced software, horizon adjustment and so on and so on... But, there is a but here. The K-x is still smaller and lighter, and that's my main reason for keep it. It simply feels so nice in the hand. The K-S2 is larger and heavier, it do feels good in the hand and it's much more balanced when using large and heavy lenses. Still, the K-x with a tiny lens such as the DA 35 f/2.8 Macro Limited, is simply wonderful. And I'm not convinced that the K-S2 produces better images. Sure it has more Mp, so images are larger, but I wouldn't call them better. The K-x is very good. The lack of a low pass filter means images can be sharper on the K-S2 but it really depends on the lens also.
03-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can not speak for the KS2 but on paper it is a real gem. I shoot weddings and events and having to hold a heavy camera up for long periods of time really gets tiring after a while. I bought a K30 about 3 years ago. I feel in love with it's size, features and IQ. Now I have 2 k30's and a k50. I bought the k50 body new for $296. I like the file size from the16mp cameras. I have a workflow with those files that I am used to. IMHO you would be happy with anything K5 and newer. My 2 cents.

Last edited by macman24054; 03-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
03-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. Looks like the K-s2 looks like a probable contender. It has what I understand to be an intevalometer mode. Handy for making time lapse astrophotos. The articulating screen too is astrophoto friendly for a camera pointing up near zenith or attached to a high aiming telescope.

Not keen on those irritating LED pilot lights in the night affecting my night vision in some shooting situations. So the facility to turn them off is very welcome. I trust the screen can be also turned off during shooting for the same reason. The Kx allows both the blue pilot light and screen to be turn off. These may seem like minor issues for most photographers but for us star gazers they make the difference between a smooth photo session and one afflicted by annoying glare. The price is rather comparable the Kx when I bought it those years ago.

The general features are rich otherwise and look forward to better image fidelity especially lower noise (any sensor comparisons anywhere?). After many trouble free years with the Kx I'd be looking for a new camera to see me through many more years with the Kx as a second.