Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Do you keep your battery & sd card in or out?

Lets say you're not always taking pics for a time, maybe no events for a month, or if you have a 2nd or 3rd DSLR, would you take the battery & SD card out of the camera? Do you have a time slot to keep things 'at hand'? Rechargeable batteries probably don't leak, but maybe a corrosion factor??? or not, but if no battery in the camera, it sleeps. thanks

03-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a month, no. Years, yes. My K5 hasn't seen any action since I got my K3II in December, so no battery or card. I do try to keep a second battery fully-charged though. I think I have 3 now, with two in rotation.
The rechargeable lithium batteries keep a good charge for a long time, but it never hurts to play it safe.
03-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just pick up the camera and take a few shots once a week...
If it's gonna sit for 6 months, I'd probably remove the battery, put a WR lens on and place the camera in a plastic bag to keep any dust away.

Otherwise I'm sure you're fine... I picked up a friends Nikon D1 (1999) that hasn't been shot in almost 10 years. No battery corrosion or memory card failures. Charged up the battery and it turned on fine.
Definitely dust on the sensor, but it was just sitting on his dresser - You have to imagine a few specks to find their way inside over the decade!
03-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Just pick up the camera and take a few shots once a week...
That's the best protection. The only time I worry about leaving batteries or cards in my cameras is if it's going to be years between times that I use them.

Edited to add: It's better to be safe than sorry though. You do NOT want a battery to purge inside any of your cameras. (That usually takes a few years, btw.)

03-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot several times a week but my backup camera, which doesn't go out on most trips, always has the battery and SD card in. So it is hopefully always ready to go.

A couple of days ago I took the main camera out, only to find the battery was at home in the charger. : (
03-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Lets say you're not always taking pics for a time, maybe no events for a month, or if you have a 2nd or 3rd DSLR, would you take the battery & SD card out of the camera? Do you have a time slot to keep things 'at hand'? Rechargeable batteries probably don't leak, but maybe a corrosion factor??? or not, but if no battery in the camera, it sleeps. thanks
The basic rule of thumb is: If you are going to allow your camera to remain idle for three weeks or more, please remove the battery/batteries. As for the card, there is no set time limit for leaving that in the camera. Although, speaking for myself, I do remove the card just to check on its condition on occasion.

Thanks for reading,

Tonytee
03-23-2016, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I leave both of them in the camera. Nothing sits for too long although my K10D hasn't seen much use in the past few months, mostly due to the mild winter. It's my go to camera for my MF lenses. I haven't had any problems and if I didn't leave them in the camera, odds are very high that a WTF moment would occur when I found myself without a battery and card at some point.

03-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
The basic rule of thumb is: If you are going to allow your camera to remain idle for three weeks or more, please remove the battery/batteries.
Doing that you are likely to kill the (cheapest they could find) clock Li button cell soldered to the camera motherboard - it is rated only at 100 or so charge cycles.
03-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For my DSLRs k-5/II/-3, I keep both batteries and SD card in the camera all the time. I also have 4 extra batteries (good also for my k-01) just in case. If I am not mistaken, there is an internal battery in camera that holds the memory settings and time. Without the battery in the camera for a long time, I am not sure if the internal memory will be drained. As for the SD card, I don't think I need to worry (for what?) about it . It is better to have the battery and SD card in the camera than not having them in the camera, so it is always ready to be used.