Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #1

sand and snow

what setting should I use for pictures on sand and snow and strong back lighted photes on my K100D Super?

07-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think a slight over-exposure is recommended for snowy conditions, regardless of what camera you use.
07-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually EV+1 to EV+2 is recommended depending on the brightness. Bracketing is useful to make sure you get the correct exposure.

The reasoning is that the lightness of the sand or snow confuses the metering in the camera, and it will try to make the scene darker to make the overall 18%(or 12% depending on who you ask) gray. By setting a positive EV, you are telling the camera to adjust the metering towards the lighter side.

The same works with shooting darker colors. A negative EV will tell the camera to adjust towards the darker side.
07-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
thans for the suggestion.Im New to DSLR photography and the Pentax K100D Super is my first camera. the dial on top of the camera on the left has all kind of settings,I mostly us it in the AutoMode. Is there a setting that I should use for sand or snow in addition to EV+1 to EV+2? Thanks Jim

07-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not remember if exposure compensation works in Auto mode (do not use it). You can definitely switch to P mode and then adjust exposure. You can also achieve the same thing by using manual (M) mode. You just have to know which way to turn the aperture or shutter. Using EV in P mode might be easier for beginners because it shows as either +1 or -1.
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I think a slight over-exposure is recommended for snowy conditions, regardless of what camera you use.
Yes, this is true and true for the opposite end of the spectrum as well.

Simply, the camera's light meter evaluates everything against medium grey. Its going to underexpose scenes heavily bright white and overexpose scenes heavy black.

So you can't listen to the meter in those situations. Manually dial in over or underexposure in those situations, via dial or ev comp

Last edited by jshurak; 07-09-2008 at 07:58 AM.