Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

K200 shuts off a second after turning on. Not a battery problem

I know, I know, it's revisiting an old well worn topic : ) But too much of the info on older threads didn't ring true here (and the K200 doesn't have its own subforum), so I'm hoping that someone has some wisdom about it.

I want to gift someone a K200 we've had in the closet for ages. Fresh batteries of all kinds and it turns on and then immediately turns off. Everything has been cleaned and blown. But it does the same with batteries removed and using the power supply. Now here's something interesting: I wanted to update the firmware, just in case that could clear it up. A boot up holding the menu button showed 1.00, the firmware it shipped with. I downloaded 1.01 (even though there are references to 1.02 i could find no trace of it. Ricoh's site offers 1.01). With this shutting down behavior I understood the danger of doing the update, but figured it was useless as it was, if I bricked it in my attempt to fix it no big loss. (This was even before I went and got a universal power supply). The whole update from the card worked, and the K200 stayed on for the 30 seconds and even stayed on with the "completed" alert! Checked again with boot and menu button and the update did take. But the behavior is the same. Turn it on, it turns right off. But if I hold down the menu button to see the firmware version it stays on as long as I hold the button. Go back to shooting mode and same shut down issue. Same with lens swapped. And as mentioned, same with power supply.

Any thoughts? I'm game for swapping capacitors, as was brought up for a power problem years ago, or anything else, since it would make for a decent experience for the intended recipient, but it's not worth a repair bill. Really any advice about the self repair surgery on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

03-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps a faulty on/off switch?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That means it's time to buy a new camera. The newer models such as K-S2 or K-3 / K-3II are really a step above the K200D.
03-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That means it's time to buy a new camera. The newer models such as K-S2 or K-3 / K-3II are really a step above the K200D.
Actually, the K200D has a good fan base for its sensor and nice images.
If the camera can be saved through some simple repairs, it's worth a bit of effort.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-24-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
03-25-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K200D is still a superb camera and yes, worth investing a bit of time in fixing if possible. Things that occur to me that would make it switch off immediately are fault firmware (but that's not likely if it's recently been updated) or some kind of error in the memory card door. The camera won't turn on with that door open so maybe there's a fault in the mechanism it uses to detect if it's open or closed.
03-25-2016, 02:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had experienced a similar issue with tk200 but after using sanyo battries it has gone.
try it!i
03-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recall experiencing this with my K200d back when I had one. I don't remember what the cause was, but know it wasn't anything major or I would certainly remember the details. My guess is you need some new good quality batteries.
03-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would try the higher mA eneloop batteries.
This has happened before to me, but I just kept switching out the batteries for newly charged ones and it started to work again.
I saw that you used an AC power supply, which we would think eliminates that question. But here's an idea: Does the camera keep the date between times that it shuts down? If not, it is a capacitor / switch out the batteries issue. If it is keeping the correct date, then it may be a switch issue -- power switch, card door, battery door.

Anyway, mine's working fine again and I try to remember to use it somewhat regularly. I've never encountered the issue again.

03-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
SOLVED!!!!! Card door needs to be pressing tiny button!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K200D is still a superb camera and yes, worth investing a bit of time in fixing if possible. Things that occur to me that would make it switch off immediately are fault firmware (but that's not likely if it's recently been updated) or some kind of error in the memory card door. The camera won't turn on with that door open so maybe there's a fault in the mechanism it uses to detect if it's open or closed.
That's IT!!!!!! Jonathan, you are the MAN!!!!! The card door is broken but the card goes in and stays so it didn't occur to me that there would be a door connection!! Especially since it ONLY refuses to stay in shooting mode. In firmware mode (holding menu button) it stays on indefinitely.
Obviously not battery related, as same behavior with power supply, and have used assorted sets of batteries as mentioned. Only bought Eneloops for decades but tried others of all kinds just to see.

Here's what appears to be the skinny, and it's not even that complicated, certainly not electronic: There is a tiny dimple button under the card door that gets depressed by a matching non-mechanical tiny bumper on the rubber of the inside of the door when it shuts tight. Button not pushed, camera powers up and shuts of after one second. Since the door is broken, hold down this button with any pointed object, camera shoots good as new. I do have to figure out how to keep this button depressed, but that's hardly the dealkiller that a faulty logic board is.

Upon close examination, this connection seems very susceptible to being worn into ineffectiveness, even with the door shut. Makes sense that a lot of people with the famous K200 battery problems actually had this button not being pushed enough and their batteries were fine.

After reading sooo many posts about this I am so jazzed to have the solution be so simple : ) THANK YOU, JONATHAN!!!!!
03-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Congrats on finding the problem!
I'm sure you're going to be loving photos from that great camera!
03-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm glad you've got the problem identified, if not yet solved.

It's good to be the man