Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #1

K10D - What's up?

What happened to K10D prices? I just checked on Amazon and a new K10D with 18-55 is $1049, the same price as a K20D body. Even used, they're often selling for more than what I paid new for my non shop-demo body. It makes me wish I had a few thousand $ US to invest in K10D futures about 6 or 7 months ago...

07-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe some people prefer the Sony sensor?
The K20D seems to have similar issues (banding and random pixels; the k20d has hot pixels, the k10d has a weak AA filter) as the K10D w/ more features though.
07-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Apparently there seems to be a good demand for K10D (sounds weird to me as we have similar K200D now).

I remember SRSMicroSystems (Official PENTAX distributors in UK) advertising in May that they are to receive the last batch of K10D and when I gave them a call, they said all were sold out in a day..;-)

I could not find any stores that stocked K10D and had to travel several miles to buy one. In couple of days even they were out of stock. This was back in may.

Wonder where the demand is..:-?
07-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can still buy them used for about $500 here on the forum. Most of the used ones are still under warranty as most of the users are just upgrading to K20Ds.

07-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Apparently there seems to be a good demand for K10D (sounds weird to me as we have similar K200D now).
That's kind of what I was wondering. If you have $1049 US to spend on a K10D kit w/18-55, why not just buy a K20D body, and spend $70 or $80 more and get a kit lens from one of the discount shops.

I could not find any stores that stocked K10D and had to travel several miles to buy one. In couple of days even they were out of stock. This was back in may.
The local shop here was out when I checked for a price after the K20D introduction. I located another shop several hours north that would sell mail order, I ordered mine and the next day they listed the K10D as "out-of-stock". I think I might have bought the store demo.(I don't care, I've already used it to take something like 2,000 pictures.)

Wonder where the demand is..:-?
I can understand some of it, it is a pretty nice camera, especially for what it was selling for before the K20D was unveiled. But for demand to be at the point where retailers are charging almost the same as the current model is a real surprise. I have to assume that the sellers are actually able to sell them for this much, or the price would be lower.
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
You can still buy them used for about $500 here on the forum. Most of the used ones are still under warranty as most of the users are just upgrading to K20Ds.
I wasn't planning on buying another K10D right now, so I suppose the price doesn't really matter to me. I'm just floored that the K10D was so close in price to the K20D
I wouldn't have known, but I was just searching for something else on Amazon and their storefront software made a list of "suggestions" for me. The suggestions included both the K10D kit and the K20D body, and I had to look twice when I saw the prices.
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I just picked up a K10D for my sister at Ritz last week for $650 USD body only. They are probably going fast.

07-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #8

I checked if the price of the GX-10 followed the same trend.

Amazone have the GX-10 with kit lens for $800, which is more than $100 more expensive than what I paid for. But the fact is that there just isn't that many left for sale.

I think that the increase in price is more due to the fact that those are becoming rare new than anything else.
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea on the big price increase. I bought mine last October for $700 new from Adorama. (body only) And the price dropped even a bit further after that, I remember seeing them for as little as $650 body only. Could it be a currency thing?

NaCl(I know the yen has risen compared to the dollar but 45%?! )H2O
07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I can’t find a K10 listed at B&H?
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Warranties are only to the original purchaser, at least in the USA, for anything :-(