Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having owned a k-s1 and a k5, I would choose the k-s1. The k5 has better build quality, a quieter shutter, weather sealing, and is more ergonomic. However in almost every other aspect, the k-s1 is better. Image quality is pretty close to the k-3, and even exceeds it at high ISO. The build quality of the k-s1 is similar to the kr, and the shutter sound is similar. The viewfinder is however brilliant! It's hard to imagine getting more bang for your buck with any other camera.

03-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I adore my K-S1, but I got mine brand new with the 18-55mm lens for $200 when Samys' had their fire sale.
03-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Here's another option for you.....buy the K5IIs in the Marketplace....a certain squirrel will loan you the additional $225 for six months...interest free.
The only catch is that for that 6 months you have to install the logo I have below in your signature.....after that, you can leave or remove it. I would have put no conditions, but some decisions are not mine to make around here!

Some would rather be shot....some would really love the K5IIs enough to bite their tongue? Decisions!

Regards!
I really appreciate the offer. I have a motto thought - friends stay friends forever as long as they owe each other nothing but good will We're trying to buy a house within the next year, otherwise I could just "borrow" it from our savings account. But I'm trying to be responsible (and avoid the wrath of she-who-must-be-obeyed )
03-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just get the 2 year extended warranty on whatever one you buy. My K-30 had the aperture block replaced, but it was covered. The only problem with the K-S1 is no WR, but if you don't need it so what. I'd love to pick one up on one of those fire sale deals.

03-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Having owned a k-s1 and a k5, I would choose the k-s1. The k5 has better build quality, a quieter shutter, weather sealing, and is more ergonomic. However in almost every other aspect, the k-s1 is better. Image quality is pretty close to the k-3, and even exceeds it at high ISO. The build quality of the k-s1 is similar to the kr, and the shutter sound is similar. The viewfinder is however brilliant! It's hard to imagine getting more bang for your buck with any other camera.
That seems to be exactly what I'm thinking right now - but since you had both cameras, you can talk from experience. That is huge help! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I adore my K-S1, but I got mine brand new with the 18-55mm lens for $200 when Samys' had their fire sale.
I still kick myself for having missed that...

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Just get the 2 year extended warranty on whatever one you buy. My K-30 had the aperture block replaced, but it was covered. The only problem with the KS-1 is no WR, but if you don't need it so what. I'd love to pick one up on one of those fire sale deals.
Yeah I don't even have a WR lens... but still, the ruggedness of the flagship models is a good thing.
03-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I really appreciate the offer. I have a motto thought - friends stay friends forever as long as they owe each other nothing but good will We're trying to buy a house within the next year, otherwise I could just "borrow" it from our savings account. But I'm trying to be responsible (and avoid the wrath of she-who-must-be-obeyed )
I fully understand, and hope you get whatever you want. I don't mind loaning...or giving....it always benefits me in some good Karma...and I need all I can get! There are plenty of trustworthy people here......I know from experience. You are one of them.

I didn't mention it...but my old K20D was one fine camera! Just rock solid dependable! My K5 was a little less thrilling to me...for various reasons, but still excellent. The K5IIs is a dream......so sad it was damaged.

Best Regards!
03-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I fully understand, and hope you get whatever you want. I don't mind loaning...or giving....it always benefits me in some good Karma...and I need all I can get! There are plenty of trustworthy people here......I know from experience. You are one of them.
Well, thank you

QuoteQuote:
I didn't mention it...but my old K20D was one fine camera! Just rock solid dependable!
I know! I'm almost regretting that I sold it I think I'll get another one down the road. They're just cheap and so dependable. Or maybe a K10D and get back to that CCD magic

03-25-2016, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Or maybe a K10D and get back to that CCD magic
Loved the CCD magic of my K10D too! I gave it to a lady when I got my K20D...she was a film shooter and wanted to go digital but was in a real bind so I just gave it to her. Later on, she broke the LCD and loved it so much she saved up and got it repaired...I think she still shoots with it!
Pentax has made some great cameras.....and more are coming! We are lucky guys, most of us know it!

Regards!
03-25-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, you know what, just for the kindness of Rupert (and Otis of course) I'll wear the signature pic for a while
03-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're looking for a camera that will last you a long time, the K-5 (or K-3 of course) would be the way to go. It's a big upgrade over the K20D in terms of image quality, ergonomics, feature, and speed. Good luck with the decision!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you've owned the flagship body previously, I would advice you get another flagship body. I've had so far, K100D Super, K10D, K20D and K-5 - come to think of it, all of my bodies has had a top LCD - K100D Super and K20D are gone, K10D has been converted to IR and K-5 remain as my main shooter. When my niece got interested in photography, we got her a K-x - a body without the top LCD - drove me up the wall, having to access the menu on the rear screen each and every time I want to change any settings. It was almost as if I was handling another camera system instead of a Pentax.

Superior build quality, quieter shutter, dual control wheels with the top LCD... The advantages of a flagship body far outweigh any technological advancement of a newer consumer body, imo. My next camera body will be a K3II, applying the pixel shift to macro and still life photography really intrigue me.
03-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're looking for a camera that will last you a long time, the K-5 (or K-3 of course) would be the way to go. It's a big upgrade over the K20D in terms of image quality, ergonomics, feature, and speed. Good luck with the decision!
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If you've owned the flagship body previously, I would advice you get another flagship body. I've had so far, K100D Super, K10D, K20D and K-5 - come to think of it, all of my bodies has had a top LCD - K100D Super and K20D are gone, K10D has been converted to IR and K-5 remain as my main shooter. When my niece got interested in photography, we got her a K-x - a body without the top LCD - drove me up the wall, having to access the menu on the rear screen each and every time I want to change any settings. It was almost as if I was handling another camera system instead of a Pentax.

Superior build quality, quieter shutter, dual control wheels with the top LCD... The advantages of a flagship body far outweigh any technological advancement of a newer consumer body, imo. My next camera body will be a K3II, applying the pixel shift to macro and still life photography really intrigue me.
So, another couple of votes for the K-5

But I don't know if the technological advances can be insignificant compared to the build and ergonomics of the flagship body... I mean, I spend half the time with the K-r and while I do miss the K20D controls when I use it, it's not the end of the world... I've learned to make use of what I got.

Still, the top quality of a flagship is tempting enough that I haven't made up my mind yet... next week I think.
03-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Well, you know what, just for the kindness of Rupert (and Otis of course) I'll wear the signature pic for a while
You're a good man! we need more like you!

Regards!
03-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

You're a good man! we need more like you!
I don't wear it, but I keep it useful as a custom smiley - which I can thanks to Otis making me a Site Supporter

toas
03-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #30

The K-5 is a really nice camera indeed, go get it