Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

The K-5 series (K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis) is really a nice move if you can afford it.

But I wouldn't be all that quick to write off the K-30 or K-50s. Lots of those were sold. Sure, you read online about multiple cases of the failures, but the people who do not have failures have little motivation to go online to complain about their lack of misfortune. So, we never get a truly realistic picture of how many failures there are. 20? 100? 1000? Have there even been 20 postings from different individuals on PF of all the people who have bought a K-30/K-50? (and go look at the failure posts on Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc..... everyone has failures!)

My K-30 has been working great for years and has had a lot of use. A friend's K-50 has never had a problem. I think the K-30 grip is actually a slightly better fit for my hand than the K-5iis. So, what is the true percentage of failures? We don't know!

Buy a K-50 and get a longer warranty if you feel the need OR buy it with a credit card which offers an extended warranty.

Or for $200-$300 more, go for one of the K-5's. Best of luck!

03-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

If you have a chance to handle both I am sure you would choose the K-5. The pro quality build will give you confidence that even though you are getting it second hand, it is a camera that will give confidence it will last a long time. I am completely satisfied with mine. If your budget can go higher than K-5, there is the K-5 IIs and K-3 and you won't go wrong with them.
03-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I don't wear it, but I keep it useful as a custom smiley - which I can thanks to Otis making me a Site Supporter
You're a good man too Bert! You are appreciated by Otis...and by me too!

Regards!
03-25-2016, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have two K-50's that have combined SA's of MORE than 20K and not a single glitch! I have a K-30 that, although not nearly as many SA's, has performed flawlessly, also.

It is my person belief that the problems reported with the K-50/K-30 are extremely few and far between and blown completely out of proportion.

IMHO, there isn't a better camera on the market for the money spent than the K-50. I have had the chance to "upgrade" to a K-3, but after some in-depth soul searching, decided that there was no need. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

03-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Sure, you read online about multiple cases of the failures, but the people who do not have failures have little motivation to go online to complain about their lack of misfortune.
I was doing that and then it broke...
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have two K-50's that have combined SA's of MORE than 20K and not a single glitch!
Don't brag too much, I was telling people it won't happen, my K-50 has seen a lot of use and no issues.
Then what? My K-50 gets this problem.
03-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #36
Pentaxian

For $300 or less, a K-5 is the way to go, although if memory serves me well, the K-30 was the first upgrade to the AF system, that got us where we are today. After the K-5 Pentax was happy with their IQ, and put their efforts into upgrading the AF. There are advantages to the K-3 but Tess an I are often shooting side by side, and often those advantages come to nothing in the end.
03-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I think every thread everywhere experiences advice creep when it comes to budget. Less often, there is a bit of creepy advice.

The extra 4 MP may mean more or less. Look at it this way:
For 'digital crop', it would be 1.12x or so... this is not a lot.
For printing at 220 dpi, it would get you another 2"... perhaps significant

The lack of AA filter is a thing I don't know how to compare. I would like to not have an AA filter but am happy with my K5. Of course, I wasn't presented with the option you have.

I would recommend caution when considering opinions about the CCD-ness of any sensor or other similar stuff. It will be very likely you will not perceive this same.. quality. On the other hand, you may! Just be cautious....

+ i see a few comments about AF focus performance. this is a thing to consider, i think. i have only had a few times AF has not worked for me in some lighting. this is with many low light pictures indoors but not really with incandescent lighting. of course, your uses will be different and i am not trying to sway you with anecdote (see the comment about CCD-ness). i just mean the AF performance of K5 is not as impossible as some make it seem :^)

if you go with K5, maybe take a look at your results with 1/90 second... i feel like i get better results with either 1/60 or 1/125 and short telephotos...? i made this decision after looking at different pictures i had taken. 1/90 may work fine for you.

Last edited by Tan68; 03-26-2016 at 07:52 AM.
03-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I find the extra 8 MP of the K-3 mainly of use for cropping. If you crop in the frame, you get all you're likely ever to need from a K-5, and with my wildlife images I try and keep my cropping to 12-16 MP. Same with the resolution bump from a K-5 IIs. It's a nice thing to have, but not at all essential. I've had the K-3 over a year and it really has yet to make a dent in our print files. More resolution after the K-5 is nice to have, not have to have. It's not like we started looking at our K-5 files and saying, "these really aren't good enough anymore." That did happen going from the K-20D to the K-5.

As for the 14 vs 12 bit. I have put up 14 bit K-5 images against 12 bit K-01 images taken at the same time and location. regardless of the stack of bibles people are swearing on, they can't tell the difference. I wouldn't take anything away from a 12 bit camera based on my use. These images had some serious shadow rescue that brought out the most in the shadow detail ( which is where the difference should become apparent.), the final images were identical.

Last edited by normhead; 03-26-2016 at 08:12 AM.
03-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... That did happen going from the K-20D to the K-5...
I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... As for the 14 vs 12 bit. I have put up 14 bit K-5 images against 12 bit K-01 images taken at the same time and location. regardless of the stack of bibles people are swearing, they can't tell the difference. I wouldn't take anything away from a 12 bit camera based on my use.
I think 14-bit makes a difference only at ISO 80. Then, your exposure must be very careful to take advantage of any additional dynamic range.
03-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Technically all the K5 is almost the same K5, K5-II, K5-IIs, K50, K30. There very small difference K30/K50 get focus peaking, flagship model are a bit heavier and get more direct controls. K5-IIs get a bit sharper with no AA filter. K5-II AF work better in low light.

The thing is a K50 can be got new for $300 and if you play it well, you could get a few years warranty... While if you go into some K5 issues (flash exposure, mirror flap) right now, you'd have to live with it or buy a new camera.

The K3 put the notion of "pro" camera to the next level. Heavier, 2 memory slot the AF, exposure metering and white balance got REALLY improved. All lenses focus faster in all conditions and you can get precise AF at large apperture with off center points. There more MPs, and like norm said, this is mostly helpful to crop, compared to a K5 first version, with no low pass filter and added rez it is like having a TC 1.4 included for free and distorsion free. Almost all lenses are much sharper with it including entry level ones.

My father for many reasons was decided for a K30, brought a K30, kept it for maybe 2 years and when he saw what the K3 was actually doing for me upgraded... and keep saying how much better it is.

My point is K-S1 / K-S2 are basically K5 with different sensor and bodies. One has fancy controls, one has articulated screen, but there are more part of K5 familly than anything else. All theses camera are equivalent in capacity give or take a few details. I would avoid the K-S1 because I really like to have 2 wheels but that just me.

So to me in term of "upgrade" this is either any of K5 familly for a first level or K3 for the next level. As long as your budget is limited and you don't ask to much out of the AF, a first K5 would do just fine.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.
03-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I played with a K-S1 and liked it, though eventually I got a K3. It didn't sell well due to the silly lights but it's a perfectly capable camera. I don't believe it has the same aperture fault as the K30 and K50 but as you say, it will have sold far fewer units.
03-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #42
Site Supporter

I added a K-5 to my K10D and K20D and didn't like the small grip even with a battery grip. For some reason Pentax has moved the rear AF button around on their camera bodies and the button on the K-5 was in an uncomfortable place for me. The image files of course were beautiful as the CMOS sensor was better than the first gen Samsung sensor in the K20D. Just my $0.02 as YMMV.
04-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So... in the end, instead of being able to move up from the K20D I ended up having to move "down"... and I say down in quotes because it might be an improvement to my images. Money got short, so I ended up getting a K10D, with the latest and greatest CCD APS-C sensor, which should be on its way soon...

I've always wanted a K10D to play with anyway, so I'll have the chance to do just that Then maybe in a year or two I'll be able to swap the K-r for something newer, and keep the K10D as my fun camera.
04-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5 has been through a lot. I expect rugged in my DLSR now. I value a top LCD and two wheels, too.

Compared with what I purchased the K5 for new, the used prices now are just jaw-dropping. Granted, $300 is what I paid when I bought a used K10 back in 2000-something, I don't remember anymore, so it shouldn't surprise me. Time for the advantage column test, add 'em up then go with your gut.
06-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To update this thread... I did get the K10D a couple months ago, expecting to play with it until I get something else in the future, like next year.

Well, it worked out that I didn't have to wait so long to get something newer... and the other (somewhat) surprising thing is that the K10D isn't going anywhere either

So, in addition to the K10D, I just bought a K-S1. Even a blue one I'll play with it for a while and the plan is for it to substitute the K-r as my wife's camera (unless I like it too much!)

Reasons why just the K10D and K-r setup wasn't enough:
- I shoot some events for fun (for friends) and I also take some pictures at important events in our lives. In those, metering and autofocus are very important. In the case of the K-r, the AF under artificial light is horrible. At my son's Pre-K graduation a couple weeks ago, I had to switch to manual focusing - with my K-r's dim small pentamirror - because the camera wasn't getting anything I wanted in focus! That was a worst case scenario though, a dimly lit church with artificial light. I didn't get a lot of good pictures from that...
- I also shot a birthday party for some friends with the K10D and the AF also proved to be very unreliable. Most of the time I ended up using manual focus, which means that when I got the focus right, I had awesome keepers. But not all of them came out right. The other thing is that I just couldn't trust the metering, and took some time just making sure things looked right before a critical shot.

Reasons why I ended up not getting a K-5, K-5 IIs or K-50:
- The K-50 would have been an obvious choice but the aperture mechanism scared me away. Too many reported problems...
- The K-5 IIs just ended up being out of my budget, and sensor-wise, the K-S1 is at least as good
- The K-5 has the same AF issue as the K-r

Reasons why I think I'll be happy with the K-S1 (in addition to my K10D which I'll still use due to that wonderful CCD):
- The sensor is supposedly as good as anything out there in APS-C by Pentax
- Using the K-r taught me that I don't really need that top LCD
- I shoot manual a lot, and I like to set the aperture ring and a fixed ISO. Which then means that I just need one wheel, for the aperture.
- Metering and AF should be a step above anything I'm currently used to
- JPEG engine should also be a step up (this is important to my wife, who has RAW-phobia).