Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goodbye K20D... hello... who?

So I sold the K20D. I might pick one up down again down the road. But for now it's gone... we still have the K-r and that stays at home with my wife.

So for about 300 dollars I'm going to upgrade to a newer model... the obvious candidate would be the K-50 (or the K-30) but the aperture motor problems make me hesitate. So I basically am considering two options right now...

K-5 - great sensor, top level DSLR build, 14 bit raw, lots of controls...

and

K-S1 - I haven't heard of those failing like the K-30 and K-50 models (maybe there aren't many of them?). The 20MP sensor to me looks great and the extra resolution, to mee, plus the lack of AA filter, seems to more than make up for the 12 bit raw compared to K-5. So I would actually put the IQ of the K-S1 a bit above the K-5.
The downside, of course, is less controls, only one wheel. I can deal with it in the K-r (going back and forth between modes when I want to change a parameter before going back to M). So I'm thinking I might get used to it in the K-S1 as well.

Still, the lure of a more pro-quality body in the K-5 is very tempting...

Thoughts?

03-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
K-5 - great sensor, top level DSLR build, 14 bit raw, lots of controls...
There is a K5IIs + Grip over in the Marketplace this morning for a bargain price. If I didn't have the K1 on order I would snap it up fast! My K5IIs was badly damaged in an accident, but it has been the best Pentax I have ever owned. Just superb!

Go check it out!

Regards!
03-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm kind of in the same boat as you...I'm using older bodies (*ist D, K10D), but will be looking to upgrade eventually. I'm not in a hurry and can sit back and wait for a nice deal to come along. I'm avoiding the K-30 and K-50 for the reasons you mentioned. I almost pulled the trigger on a K-S1 during the holidays when Samy's was blowing them out for $200 after rebate. At the moment, I'm gravitating towards a K-5, or newer variant if the price is right. The K-S2 also looks like a worthy contender, although I really prefer the flagship bodies. But it has a nice feature set, and seems sturdy and reliable enough.

Good luck whatever you decide. I thought you got some great images from your K20D, btw!
03-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There is a K5IIs + Grip over in the Marketplace this morning for a bargain price. If I didn't have the K1 on order I would snap it up fast! My K5IIs was badly damaged in an accident, but it has been the best Pentax I have ever owned. Just superb!

Go check it out!

Regards!
I did put a budget on my original post.

Otherwise people would ultimately suggest the K-1, I'm sure

Again, my budget is around 300 dollars.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm kind of in the same boat as you...I'm using older bodies (*ist D, K10D), but will be looking to upgrade eventually. I'm not in a hurry and can sit back and wait for a nice deal to come along. I'm avoiding the K-30 and K-50 for the reasons you mentioned. I almost pulled the trigger on a K-S1 during the holidays when Samy's was blowing them out for $200 after rebate. At the moment, I'm gravitating towards a K-5, or newer variant if the price is right. The K-S2 also looks like a worthy contender, although I really prefer the flagship bodies. But it has a nice feature set, and seems sturdy and reliable enough.
That is what I'm trying to decide - get newer and better sensors or older flagships?

Good luck whatever you decide. I thought you got some great images from your K20D, btw!
Thank you And you get great images out of your older bodies as well, for sure!

03-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I were you I'd try for a K-5.
03-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally agree with Rupert I love my 5lls,even a bit more than my K3.
03-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
I totally agree with Rupert I love my 5lls,even a bit more than my K3.
What's the use of me saying I have a budget, you guys just suggest whatever you want anyway
03-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What's the use of me saying I have a budget, you guys just suggest whatever you want anyway
Hey I found you 5 K-5s in your budget...

But yeah you could do with a K-1...
03-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Hey I found you 5 K-5s in your budget...

But yeah you could do with a K-1...
I hadn't seen your post when I posted that...

A few of those are not for sale anymore, you listed stuff back to October Others are out of the country and I'd prefer not to have to deal with taxes and possible international shipping for returns, if something is not right. One of them I did contact a few days ago (it was an older one) and the seller never responded. People just forget to update their posts when they sell, it seems. They should expire. What's the use of a for sale post made half a year ago?

Anyway, I do have options, for sure, even from KEH, but I haven't decided yet what I want to do. Hence... this thread
03-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A few of those are not for sale anymore, you listed stuff back to October Others are out of the country and I'd prefer not to have to deal with taxes and possible international shipping for returns, if something is not right. One of them I did contact a few days ago (it was an older one) and the seller never responded. People just forget to update their posts when they sell, it seems. They should expire. What's the use of a for sale post made half a year ago?
Well I tried to help...

I believe MP threads do expire at some time.
I just listed everything I could find that was not marked as sold...

Good luck and enjoy the K-3 we'll force you to get.
03-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-S1's are selling for around $300 these days. Basically a KS-2 in a smaller & lighter package and no WR. PF member Rondec picked one up recently, and is pretty happy with his, IIRC. He's got some impressive images from it in his Flickr stream if you want to take a look.
03-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K-S1's are selling for around $300 these days. Basically a KS-2 in a smaller & lighter package and no WR. PF member Rondec picked one up recently, and is pretty happy with his, IIRC. He's got some impressive images from it in his Flickr stream if you want to take a look.
I know! I've seen someone describe the 20MP sensor in the KS1 and KS2 as the most "CCD like" since... well, CCDs Looking at flickr examples, it makes sense. I don't think it's just the processing. I really enjoy the output of that sensor. Believe me, I've seen thousands of pictures by now

I'm *almost* at the point of deciding for the K-S1, in fact, even if it's far more of an entry level camera than the K-5. But I think I'll give it some more thought this weekend.
03-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The K-50 is a great, classic, traditional DSLR, with the proven 16MP sensor. The K-S1 is definitely not traditional. It has lots of features, good sensor, but its stylish appearance, LED lights, On/Off button are all very different. The controls are a little different, as well. Between these two, I really suggest you go to a store or photo club or something where you can hold both cameras. The K-S1 is one of those cameras that you will fall in love with, or you will never like it. The K-50 is a more safe choice. A decent performer, doesn't stand out form the crowd, but definitely holds its own.
So, what do you prefer?
03-25-2016, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Anyway, I do have options, for sure, but I haven't decided yet what I want to do. Hence... this thread
Here's another option for you.....buy the K5IIs in the Marketplace....a certain squirrel will loan you the additional $225 for six months...interest free.
The only catch is that for that 6 months you have to install the logo I have below in your signature.....after that, you can leave or remove it. I would have put no conditions, but some decisions are not mine to make around here!

Some would rather be shot....some would really love the K5IIs enough to bite their tongue? Decisions!

Regards!