Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Frank & All,
I got a K100D modified to IR from Frank's friend--I could not be happier--truly a wonderful invisible world out there.
Frank,
Is you friend's modification optimized for any particular focal length? Lens?
Has any one tried a "mirror" lens with a modified IR SLR? (I read this morning that no IR "focus adjustment" is required with a catadioptric (mirror) lens. Would that mean that the "debug" adjustment made during the IR conversion would be counter-productive?
Those of you who have done this modified IR thing know how great it is. Those of you who have not, YOU MUST!!!.
Jack

07-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
Frank, those are the sharpest IR photos I have seen so far. Which camera and lens are you using? Exposure data available? How can I reach your friend?

Filter replacement is the easy part. Real challenge is to find a proper thichness filter/window(clear glass) to bring camera to focus just like before the modification. People get around the focus problem by using small aperture. Ultimat goal is to be able to shoot at all aperture and obtain sharp photos like yours w/o post processing.

Thanks Nico As creampuff stated above, I've adjusted the AF of the camera to suit IR photos. I used an IR converted K100D camera, and an M20/4 lens for these sample photos. You should be able to see the EXIF of each photo, the aperture I used should be F8 (which I love the most for this lens). I need to over expose 2 to 3 stops when use this camera for IR depends on actual scene, but normally it'd be easier to set the camera to M mode and take some testing shots to get proper exposure.

It took my friend quite some time to find the current filter: 720nm, 1mm thin, pre-cut to fit each type of cameras. W/ this thin filter, I don't need to adjust AF much, as a matter of fact, no AF adjustment at all for FA31, M20, but need to add about 200 for the kit lens.

You can reach my friend through me I guess, please pm if you think I can be any help
07-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Frank:

Wow, there IS someone modifying Pentax cameras! I had looked for anyone doing IR block or clear glass for astro cameras, I may have missed those doing IR mods.

Your shots are great! I'm beginning to find pure IR (displayed as B&W) is not as interesting as keeping some color. I took some IR only photos on Thursday but not are worthy of posting.
Thanks Leo. I had a converted K100D w/ a 760nm IR filter built in, but I kinda get tired of its b&w feel like this one I took:

Now since I have a more 'colorful' converted K100D, I'm gonna go there and give the same scene a try again

My friend helped to take out the IR block (he calls it a hot mirror) from a Kodak DCS 14n for another friend so the camera can be used for astrophotography, seems working fine too.
07-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Hi Frank & All,
I got a K100D modified to IR from Frank's friend--I could not be happier--truly a wonderful invisible world out there.
Frank,
Is you friend's modification optimized for any particular focal length? Lens?
Has any one tried a "mirror" lens with a modified IR SLR? (I read this morning that no IR "focus adjustment" is required with a catadioptric (mirror) lens. Would that mean that the "debug" adjustment made during the IR conversion would be counter-productive?
Those of you who have done this modified IR thing know how great it is. Those of you who have not, YOU MUST!!!.
Jack
Hi Jack,

Glad you like the camera

Actually you can do AF adjustment by yourself. You can search for the way to get to the debug menu, then you'd be able to tune AF for each lens you want to use. But you have to adjust AF everytime when you change lenses (if their AF adjustment isn't the same). If you don't know how or can't find the way to get to debug mode, please let me know by email or pm

Cheers!

07-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #20

Leo, Frank and Creampuff, thank you.

I just got back from Tecate, Mexico. I almost got robbed comming out of an ATM. We couldn't find a regula motel after 40 min., so I had to sleep with my boss in a Love Motel. We paid extra because we were staying for more than five hours. I hope I don't have to do any work there in the future.

Back to the good stuff. Is Pentax the only brand that user can reach into the debug mode? I have seen few instructions for other brands to adjust the focus for ir by adjusting the mirror or inserting spacers to move the ccd/cmos assembly back (Canon) but never in the debug mode.

Do you guys know if K200d can be converted to Ir? Is SR a problem? I am willing to buy another body to convert. I preffer the latest model (10MP).

As a dedicated DIYer, I am afraid to touch the the SR system w/o solid instructions. Othe brands with fixed sensor , I havent seen any one adjust the through the debug mode. I do not want to phisically mess with the focus. Basically, I am confused.

I hope tha I can put the hardware matter behind soon and start to shoot. Thanks again everyone.

(Sorry, I had to tell you my Tecate story)
07-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
Leo, Frank and Creampuff, thank you.

I just got back from Tecate, Mexico. I almost got robbed comming out of an ATM. We couldn't find a regula motel after 40 min., so I had to sleep with my boss in a Love Motel. We paid extra because we were staying for more than five hours. I hope I don't have to do any work there in the future.

Back to the good stuff. Is Pentax the only brand that user can reach into the debug mode? I have seen few instructions for other brands to adjust the focus for ir by adjusting the mirror or inserting spacers to move the ccd/cmos assembly back (Canon) but never in the debug mode.

(Sorry, I had to tell you my Tecate story)
After staying at that motel you should put yourself in debug mode...
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nico,

I presume that a K200D is no more difficult to modify than a K100D, I read they are similar whereas the K20D is radically different (CMOS sensor). OTOH I modified a K110D because it does not have Shake Reduction. I thought the SR would be upset by removing the weight of the filter. I was also concerned that I would break the SR (after all, I did break the board). If one is less clumsy then I and you replace the filter with a similar weight filter then SR should work fine. Myself, I wish I had a clear glass filter to keep the focus normal and allow both IR, daytime, astro, and Ha Astro depending on what filter I install externally. With no filter I have all those options except I focus manually and some AF lenses won't focus at infinity.

I have no regrets with my choice.
07-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Barnett Quote
...snip. In my opinion you want the IR filter on the sensor and not on the lens. First the filters are cheap and you would need one for each lens you want to use at least for the ones that have different thread sizes. Not all lenses have threads (Pentax 10-17 fisheye being one and it is awesome for IR)....snip...
A good observation, Robert. However, for those who prefer to use a lens-mounted IR filter, but don't want to buy one for every different filter ring size needed for their lens collection, you might consider the Cokin 89B IR filter: COKIN Creative System - Filters A/P/Z/X - Color&Technical Filters - Color Filter Details

One advantage it has over screw-in lens-mounted filters is that it can be used (without the Cokin system holder) even with the Pentax 10-17 mm FE lens.

07-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #24

Leo,

I have seen instructions on how to adj the focal point of k10 and k100 by going in to the debug menu but no word on k110. I found a thread on dpreview. The instructions are the same but the person claims that the procedure also work for K110d.

Debug Menu for DS?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I guess you can try It. I don't know if you will be able to compensate enough. Over 1mm (filter less) is quite alot but I will keep my fingers crossed.

FYI for every one - On my K200d, I am able to get to the version number by holding menu and turning the power. I wonder if it is possible to reach the debug menu.

Last edited by Nico; 07-15-2008 at 01:43 PM.
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Nico,

Thank you for the link on how to enter debug mode. I saved it in case I need it some day. Since I only use manual lenses with my K110D I do not need to "fix" the autofocus. I was only testing the Tamron for Moon photos when I stumbled on the inability to focus at infinity. I simply moved the lens to my K100D and used it. I posted 300mm Moon shot on another thread as well as 960mm.

I guess you won't be taking my offer to send you my old filter for measuring and perhaps using the frame? I hate to throw it out if someone can use the frame.
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #26
ITW

Do anyone know an guide about how to remove the filter on the k110d?
12-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #27

check here:

http://2k8.ch/xdeltax-alt/tutirmodding/index.html

and here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/42451-frank-help-ir.html

and here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/39396-infrared-con...ds-ist-dl.html

Last edited by ShadZee; 12-05-2008 at 04:08 PM.