Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #1

Request: I would love to see the reading of the electronics level in the meta data

It should be so easy: putting the values of the level sensor in the meta data, for instance:

Body position:
  • Horizontal angle: 0.5 degrees
  • Vertical angle: -6 degrees

Imho it would help a lot if this info was available when doing post processing.
So why don't they do this, or am I missing something?

03-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While it certainly should be possible to implement this feature fairly easily, I have never missed it.
Not sure what you want to accomplish with this information.
03-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would be interesting on Friday Beer Nights over in the Lounge. Add BP, pulse rate, and eye dilation and we could judge the winner!

Regards!
03-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious what this info would help with?

03-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Not sure what you want to accomplish with this information.
Just some pictures I was working on.

It's hard to see what is correct here, rotation-wise. Now maybe should not care and think if you cannot tell from the picture it doesn't matter, but I just want to have it right.
And while it is just trivial information, it is information, and including it in the file should be simple.

But maybe I'm thinking to much as an engineer...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-28-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

It was available in the K-5 tags, so probably still is.

Pentax Tags

scroll down to Pentax LevelInfo Tags, index 1 and 2

( I don't have a camera with levels to check)
03-28-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

This information is actually being recorded, but that it's makerdata which not-so-current exif readers can't decrypt/understand. The whole EXIF standard is a bit of a scrappy thing - some of the property fields and values are standardised across brands, but then there are also a lot of fields and data which are encrypted and brand-specific. And every EXIF reader is playing catchup trying to understand what these brand specific tags mean.

I typically use an old EXIF Editor called "Exif Pilot" myself and that tells me about 40-50 pieces of EXIF information on a K-3II image but doesn't tell me roll angle or pitch angle etc. But If I use a much more up to date EXIF reader like http://regex.info/exif.cgi which understands more Pentax-specific tags, I get several 100 bits of info, including roll angle and pitch angle. In other words, the data is there (for K-3ii at least), but it's just that your reader doesn't understand exif tags well enough to spot it. Image below is readout from http://regex.info/exif.cgi

It is probably worth your trying that URL to see if your orientation etc is recorded. I don't know which model Pentax started recording this orientation data, maybe it started with K-5 (ie as wombat2go suggests), maybe before.

Last edited by Nass; 05-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.
03-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterL Quote
It's hard to see what is correct here, rotation-wise.
I run into that a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
This information is actually being recorded,
Cool. Now if only there were a plugin for Lightroom that could read it. Wouldn't a one click "level" button be nice?
03-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The level on my K5 was never correct resulting in tilted images it I relied on the camera to tell me when it thought it was level. I just turned off the feature and never worried about it. I haven't even tried it on my K5-IIs or K3. So if you intend to rely on the information, check that it is correct.
03-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just some pictures I was working on.

It's hard to see what is correct here, rotation-wise. Now maybe should not care and think if you cannot tell from the picture it doesn't matter, but I just want to have it right.
And while it is just trivial information, it is information, and including it in the file should be simple.

But maybe I'm thinking to much as an engineer...
In your first image, almost dead center, there's a river shoreline broken by 1 then a group of three trees. Since it's centered, it shouldn't suffer from distortion, and since it is a foreground water edge, it should indicate level. based on that, I'd say the first image is about half a degree slanted up (left to right). The second image, based on the cross brace on the shed façade, I'd say that image is nearly perfect.

Leading edges of buildings are very handy. You can also often use older evergreens. I've been shooting digital for close to 10 years and I don't think I've ever worried about what the camera thinks as level. It's more about what "feels" level if it's not a straightforward horizon shot.

Even if it were actually flat, sometimes you just need to tweak an image so things aren't so uncomfortable for the viewer. I have at least one image in my portfolio that was shot perfectly level, but on PP I had to adjust the horizon to make it "look" level.
03-29-2016, 03:54 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This information is actually being recorded, but that it's makerdata which not-so-current exif readers can't decrypt/understand.
Try ExifTool by Phil Harvey there are GUI front ends available for Windows and Mac.

On my K5IIs, viewing all the data, I get the Roll angle and Pitch angle as shown in the attached image.
Attached Images

03-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks Dieseler, I'll give Exiftool a whirl. Looks good.
03-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks Dieseler, I'll give Exiftool a whirl. Looks good.
No worries, I find it useful to edit the lens info as my version of Lightroom (5.7) does not recognise the D-FA 150-450 in the normal exif so I just add it in using the 'Lens' tab in pyExifToolGui 'Edit Data' mode.
03-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you for your answer guys, good to know the data is there after all.

I tried Exiftools for my K30 pictures and found everything I wanted to know, and more.
03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you for your answer guys, good to know the data is there after all.

I tried Exiftools for my K30 pictures and found everything I wanted to know, and more.
Too right, Battery voltages, camera temperature, which focus points used/in focus, metering matrix values etc. etc.! Information overload!