Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
...snip. BTW. what about pictures of the sun ? Solar eclipses etc. This filter should be quite right for that.
I think there's a risk of camera damage from the build-up of heat in the camera body during solar photography, especially on the sensor. IIRC, infrared wavelengths will still pass an ND filter, even though attenuated. There's also the energy of UV wavelengths to consider. I'm not familiar with the specialized filters used by astrophotographers for shooting solar images, so maybe some of the Forum members who do astrophotography could advise here.

07-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
I think there's a risk of camera damage from the build-up of heat in the camera body during solar photography, especially on the sensor. IIRC, infrared wavelengths will still pass an ND filter, even though attenuated. There's also the energy of UV wavelengths to consider. I'm not familiar with the specialized filters used by astrophotographers for shooting solar images, so maybe some of the Forum members who do astrophotography could advise here.
I suppose this might be a problem if one would use long exposures, I was more thinking of getting the sun to 1/125 or something similar range. I doubt that would damage anything. But of course a lot also depends on sun height etc.
07-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No offense to you but I simple asked a question. I've never heard of long exposures intensifying colors. Anyone else?

Of course everyone should go out and use this filter just so we can be as smart-ass you.
I think it did in the film days. Film had a lot of nonlinearities, especially when taking long night or "pseudo-night" exposures.
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No offense to you but I simple asked a question. I've never heard of long exposures intensifying colors. Anyone else?

Of course everyone should go out and use this filter just so we can be as smart-ass you.
Hey buddy, I wasn't specifically directing the comment in my second paragraph to you. If you feel offended, I apologise.

Anyway if you go do a search of long exposure images taken on digital cameras with a strong cut ND filter you will know what I mean.

07-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have. It's actually a technique used by Darwin Wigget (sp?) for a lot of his landscapes.
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This thread makes me wanna try one, although i'd be hoping to remove those tourists from local landmarks, just worried them stopping to take snapshots would still show them
Thanks for making me think.
07-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #22

I have a ND8 filter and that is dark, when you said it was a ND1000, hahaha, I was thinking surely is isn't just a "Lens Cap" ROFLMAO

To speed the process up to find your exposure settings, bump your ISO up to say 800 and shoot for 30 secs, if the image is close you can then start stepping back your ISO and increasing your exposure time to compensate.

Nothing worse than spending 2 mins on an exposure and 2mins of noise reduction and find it is way over exposed.

The multi-exposiure mode in the K20D sort of makes my uses for an ND filter obsolete.

PK
07-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter

To get the correct exposure shoot the shot without filter. When you get correct exposure open up 10 steps. This can be done by using slower shutter speeds. Bright sunny day would not need to meter just use sunny 16 rule and add 10 steps with filter.
This sounds like a fun filter to play with. Would not use it for solar photography. You don't know that it is ND in all light! Also don't know its dark enough. Most solar filters I have seen are metalized. They look like aluminum. Be careful.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

07-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

check this out for beautiful work with long exposures: ALEXEY TITARENKO | PHOTOGRAPHY

Sometimes, multiple short exposures combined can have a very different look than one long one. Sometimes, they look better.

I have a 3 stop and a 6 stop ND filter that I use now and then. They are definitely fun to play around with. With the 3 stop, I can focus with it on the lens. With the 6 stop, it's too dark, so I have to focus before I put it on. Either way, I'm using a tripod.

Finding the right exposure can be tricky. It should be linear but doesn't seem to be. If something looks right with 1/4 second at f/16 without a filter, it should look the same at 15" with a 6 stop. My experience is that I usually have to add an extra stop or more to get the same histogram. It depends on the light and the subject too though.

It's addicting & fun.