Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

How to use 1000x Neutral Density filter with DSLR

Recently purchased 1000x B+W ND filter. Intention was to use really really long shutter times.

All pictures I get with this are completely black obviously because the K10D calculaets too short shutter time.

One attempt was on a sunny day, manual focus to infinity and with aperture priority (F4.0, ISO400) the K10D calculated 20s shutter time -> still the picture was just black (nearly).

The max. shutter time with K10D is 30s and still this does not seem to suffice?
How bright environment is really needed for this kind of filter? Or for landscapes should the bulb mode be used for something like 120s?

07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

are you shooting flare guns at point blank range? hahahahaha
07-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The easiest way to see what's going on would be to use manual mode and test various exposures until you see something.

What is the Optical Density (OD) value of the filter? 1000x does not tell me much, it's not a way of naming filters that I'm familiar with.

It seems that any filter useful for photography would yield at least some light after 20 seconds at f4, in daylight. Strange.

Try taking a metering reading with and without the filter, to see how the camera evaluates the light.
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Is it really 1000x? As in a 10-stop ND filter? Wow. Yes, you'll definitely need to go with bulb mode for anything longer than 30 seconds, and definitely don't rely on the camera to aid you. If the filter is indeed 10 stops, meter with it off, then multiply the shutter speed by 1000. So if you're getting a 1/1000 reading with no filter, mount the filter and expose for 1 second and that should be correct. But if you're metering 1/30, then with the filter, you'll need a 30-second exposure.

07-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
full details:

B+W 67 110 ND 3.0 - 10 BL 1000x

uhhh, hopefully not a totall overkill

> So if you're getting a 1/1000 reading with no filter,
> mount the filter and expose for 1 second and that should be correct.
> But if you're metering 1/30, then with the filter, you'll need a 30-second exposure.

The strange thing was that without the filter the camera metered 1/250s exposure time. I used manual mode + attached the filter -> camera calculated 20s ( 1/250 x 1000 ~ about 20s) and still just (nearly) black image.

hmm, have to try again but need to wait for the next sunny day.....
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

this is a total shot in the dark (pun intended) but maybe there is a film/protector layer on your filter from manufacture that you have to remove, much like those LCD protectors?
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Probably overkill.

Two things:
1) Metering becomes inaccurate at extremely low light levels like that
2) Metering is hopeless unless you put on the viewfinder cover that came with the camera - leakage into the eyepiece will cause severe underexposure in a situation like this.

I believe also in extreme situations like this the sensor can become nonlinear. Not sure.

07-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, B&H lists this as a 10 stop reduction.

Entropy's point is a good one - cover the view finder! I shoot with a pinhole and early on I discovered the need for this, not only was the meter getting some but so was the film. Light that is

It should work, I've used 30 second exposure times OK. The write time goes way long though as the noise reduction kicks in.

In sun glass terms this is dark but not THAT dark, can you actually see through it?
07-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Two words: Bulb mode.

Unfortunately, this means you're gonna have to figure out the right exposure yourself.
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

and since this is 'digital'... experiment! If 20secs is not enough, double it... if that's not enough, double that, etc, etc until you get something.
07-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Other than to have moving objects "disappear" from the image, what is the intended result of using this filter? Just to get blur?
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Other than to have moving objects "disappear" from the image, what is the intended result of using this filter? Just to get blur?
A strong ND filter allows objects to disappear but it also has the effect of intensifying colours due to the long exposures. Friends of mine using the ND400 at night typically shoot between 2 to 3 minute exposures.

No offence but I can't help but notice a couple of unqualified comments from those who I guess have never even tried this ND filter. I would suggest they go give it a try firsthand. It will perhaps deepen their understanding of what a strong cut ND filter does.
07-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yep, B&H lists this as a 10 stop reduction.

Entropy's point is a good one - cover the view finder! I shoot with a pinhole and early on I discovered the need for this, not only was the meter getting some but so was the film. Light that is

It should work, I've used 30 second exposure times OK. The write time goes way long though as the noise reduction kicks in.

In sun glass terms this is dark but not THAT dark, can you actually see through it?
this one I did not know, does the view finder really leak so much light in?
And yes I can see through it but barely. But anyway the only problem I seem to have is the correct exposure time. Have to experiment with the bulb mode.
07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A strong ND filter allows objects to disappear but it also has the effect of intensifying colours due to the long exposures. Friends of mine using the ND400 at night typically shoot between 2 to 3 minute exposures.

No offence but I can't help but notice a couple of unqualified comments from those who I guess have never even tried this ND filter. I would suggest they go give it a try firsthand. It will perhaps deepen their understanding of what a strong cut ND filter does.
No offense to you but I simple asked a question. I've never heard of long exposures intensifying colors. Anyone else?

Of course everyone should go out and use this filter just so we can be as smart-ass you.
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #15

I just bought a new tripod, so reading this kind of makes me want to try these long exposures myself
Carless and peopleless photos of streets in midday should be quite interesting.
BTW. what about pictures of the sun ? Solar eclipses etc. This filter should be quite right for that.